It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

when to spay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

when to spay? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I've only just started shutting her inside the crate over the last week. She does pretty well. Some whining, but she isn't flipping out, like I had expected her to.

We're talking about keeping her inside in the crate while we're at work and overnight while she's in heat, if the vet won't spay her on Monday. I hate the idea of keeping her cooped up for so much of the day, though.

I was already nervous about the surgery, and it sounds like getting it done during heat is even more risky--not all vets will do it. I'm not sure if I want to just wait it out so I don't have to worry about a risky surgery, or get it done so I don't have to stress about her getting pregnant for the next 2-4 weeks. No
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 6:41 pm

pixipanda wrote:
I've only just started shutting her inside the crate over the last week. She does pretty well. Some whining, but she isn't flipping out, like I had expected her to.

We're talking about keeping her inside in the crate while we're at work and overnight while she's in heat, if the vet won't spay her on Monday. I hate the idea of keeping her cooped up for so much of the day, though.

I was already nervous about the surgery, and it sounds like getting it done during heat is even more risky--not all vets will do it. I'm not sure if I want to just wait it out so I don't have to worry about a risky surgery, or get it done so I don't have to stress about her getting pregnant for the next 2-4 weeks. No

Good luck! Worse come to worse - check out Clinico at the East Valley Shelter in Van Nuys. They're the ones that would do the spay. Lemme know, hubby's coworker's wife works there and can keep an eye on her.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks, Sam Smile
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:51 am

Well, I took her in this morning to the one in town. I made an appointment with the clinic in Van Nuys, just in case. They were very understanding of my situation, but I'm glad the one here in town was willing to do it (even if it cost more). Now I can spend my day off babying her tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:56 am

pixipanda wrote:
Well, I took her in this morning to the one in town. I made an appointment with the clinic in Van Nuys, just in case. They were very understanding of my situation, but I'm glad the one here in town was willing to do it (even if it cost more). Now I can spend my day off babying her tomorrow.

yay! Awesome - glad you had a backup just in case! Smile

Good luck and update us!
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Well, I just got Sky home. She seems to be doing just fine! A little bit antsy and she's whimpering a bit, but she's starting to calm down from the initial excitement of coming home again. (D'aww, she missed me, too! I love you ) It turns out that even though she's been spayed, she will still complete this heat cycle, so the poor baby has a cone and a diaper on now. I think we're both really looking forward to things getting back to normal.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm

That's good! Siku was at the tail end of her heat when she got spayed. Luckily she was done with the messy part of it. Wink But she was fine too.

when to spay? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Note to self... a cone will not prevent a bored husky in a crate from eating her diaper. when to spay? - Page 2 1625187496
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 10:26 pm

pixipanda wrote:
Note to self... a cone will not prevent a bored husky in a crate from eating her diaper. when to spay? - Page 2 1625187496

DOH! I gave Chili 1 teaspoon of olive oil per 10 lbs of weight plus pumpkin or peanut butter the ONE time he ate a toy (doofus!). Totally worked to smooth things through. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks!! I'll give that a try!
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 am

I will be getting Xiah spayed at 4-5 months. I don't particularly agree with spaying before 4 months unless it is a shelter/rescue situation because I know that around 50% of those who are required (by law here) to return for a spay/neuter never do. I waited for Diesel until his testicles dropped (7 months) and he has done excellent. He has grown to normal proportions and has had no problems. I will be doing Xiah earlier because the health benefits for females being spayed before their first heat (as was mentioned before about the cancer ect) to me weigh out the risks. Also, living out in the boonies with neighbors who let their dogs do whatever they want (including having their intact pit male come over) doesn't sit well with me having a dog in heat that cannot stay indoors 24/7. To me the only benefit of spaying after the first heat (for dogs that are completely healthy and normal) would be maturing potentially, and then with that there is even no guarantee that they will "calm down".

This is my opinion Smile

PS - Old thread I know but I've been doing a lot of research on the subject and thought I would put in on it.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Most vets do not wait for a first heat to spay anymore, around here they like to see most if not all the puppy teeth gone, figuring that they can easily pull them while the dog is under for spay/neuter. But from what I read, there is no health reason to wait for a first heat. I did read something that questions doing early spay/neuter (like 8 weeks) because it could stung growth.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:39 am

Balonsmom wrote:
Most vets do not wait for a first heat to spay anymore, around here they like to see most if not all the puppy teeth gone, figuring that they can easily pull them while the dog is under for spay/neuter. But from what I read, there is no health reason to wait for a first heat. I did read something that questions doing early spay/neuter (like 8 weeks) because it could stung growth.
what does teeth have to do with spaying?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 2:58 am

Balonsmom wrote:

I think allowing the dogs the proper hormones that they get only from going into season, allowing the dog to mature and allowing the closing of growth plates are excellent reasons to hold off on early spays. I've never heard anything about teeth being involved in a spay or even getting them pulled unless there is a huge problem (Adult tooth pushing the baby tooth outside but not falling out - preventing an improper bite).

I also find that having an intact female isn't in any way hard at all but for the majority of pet owners spaying prior to the first heat is beneficial to them because many owners wouldn't take the precautions that I do when my dog is in season.

when to spay? - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:07 pm

I have a question on spaying, Nala just turned 3 years old she is in heat now and i can tell it is not so great for her we want to get her spayed after this heat cycle.. How do you think or know how the spay will effect her? Is it too late to get her spayed?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:48 pm

It's never too late to get them spayed in my opinion. I have noticed that dogs spayed late don't really show a lot of difference than if they were spayed younger such as at 6 months to a year. Now any habits such as marking will not go away with spaying as I wish would happen. She may calm some and moodiness should be slightly curbed depending on how she is with her heat cycles right now. If she is horribly moody and her hormones are all over the place when she is in heat, that should lessen. It could help her with other dogs too. Without hormones to freak out when she meets other unfixed dogs or hormonally imbalanced dogs. The older she gets the longer or more zoned out the sleep meds could make her after the surgery. I had a four year old spayed once and it took her a little longer to snap out of it than my younger dogs, but she was totally fine and it took so much tension off us to have her fixed.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 6:53 pm

Delilah was spayed at 18 months. I think it was perfect and not sure I would have done it earlier had I rescued her earlier. It's a personal choice and I'm not sure there's a wrong or right answer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Megan's right -- there's really no right or wrong answer. It's all personal choice. If you spay early, you get an increased risk of certain illnesses and cancers, and if you wait, you have an increased risks of other kinds of illnesses and cancers, so it's really six to one, a half-dozen to the other. Chances are, though, that your dog will be fine whatever you decide.

Personally, I was going to spay Layla at six months but waited a month or two longer. I really didn't want to deal with the messiness of a heat and having to keep her isolated for a couple months, but I also wanted to make sure she had as much time to grow as possible before I did have her spayed. If she went into heat before then, fine, but if not, even better. She was spayed at just over seven months old and did not have a heat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: when to spay?   when to spay? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

when to spay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2