It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie Empty
PostSubject: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Does anyone have any experience with one of these things? I want to be able to play around in my rather large yard and let the dog run around on a 30 or 50ft leash, but would like to make sure that he doesn't run off.

Is this something that has been successful with other husky owners or should I just keep him on a leash held in my hand. I feel like that can sometimes be a pain in the butt, especially if I wanna run around and play with him.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 pm

We have one of those that I used for maya. Our yard is fenced in but she would never come back in so I put her on that when she needed to go out to pee. It worked great but make sure you hook it to a harness and not his collar so he doesn't hurt himself running after a squirrel or something.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Will do. I bought him one of those premere no pull harness things that has the leash attachment in the front. I've heard mixed reviews about it, but I'm sure it just depends on the dog and how we use it. I want him to be able to run around in our unfenced yard (with my constant supervision, of course), but I don't want him to disappear into the wiiiiild.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:06 pm

I have a no pull harness like that that I use for Kay. Maya and Sophie still pull on it. The only thing I don't like about it is how the front keeps getting loosened and they step over the leash all the time. It works really well for Kay though.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Yeah - one thing I wish I did when I introduced the tie-out (we went up to the cottage this summer), is take them to the end of it and let them know they can't pull further than that... Stark did a little flip and I, of course, freaked out. He was okay though, but it was a moment of WTF-Did-I-Just-Do-To-My-Dog... Smile LOL
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
but it was a moment of WTF-Did-I-Just-Do-To-My-Dog... Smile LOL

oh god, i imagine that to feel something like your heart shattering into a million pieces of panic, haha poor puppy.

stark is a great name. game of thrones fan?
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah - we were going to name our girl Arya, but then it turned out we fell in love with a red one and so we named her Phoneix (husband's fav. creature)... I wasn't going to name her after that red goddess bull-poop in GoT... RIP Renley... Sad
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:17 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Yeah - we were going to name our girl Arya, but then it turned out we fell in love with a red one and so we named her Phoneix (husband's fav. creature)... I wasn't going to name her after that red goddess bull-poop in GoT... RIP Renley... Sad

106 more daaaaays! and yeah, f that b melisandre.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 pm

LOL My sentiments exactly! Smile
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:40 pm

We always have Luna on a tie out when we bring in groceries and have to leave the door open and when she is going out for a quick potty. Dogs are constantly walking by and she hasn't pulled it out yet, just wraps it around the bushes!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Has this worked? Bourbon loosened his corkscrew tie out three times when we have had freeze thaw the hole in the ground just got wider and wider. He jumps the fence so he now has a runner attached to a hurricane stake and this stake works so much better. It has not come out of the ground at all!
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Paws-100203923-Hurricane-Stake/dp/B000QFRT7G

Now I justneed to find a harness he does not chew through.

jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

you could also get a mushers belt and just attach him to you with a super long leash to play in the back yard.

Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm

well we use this setup in our backyard and the two biggest issues are:
1. the line is a human trip wire. BEWARE! when your playing with your pup that weighs 10lbs its not so bad but as it grows you have to constantly mind the wire to make sure its not going to catch your legs
2. Measure the length you want. We mis-measured by 5ft and kiba had just enough line to tangle herself around the trees bordering the property. It is a pain in the butt to untangle her as she thinks im playing and usually starts tangling herself more when i walk over to get her. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:33 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Failsafe-Big-Dog-StakeOut/dp/B000HI3CKU/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&qid=1361831530&sr=8-66&keywords=dog+stake

This is what we used for our Lab/Husky mix, it was the other thing he couldn't pull out of the ground or break off.
Back to top Go down
newhusky_lover
Newborn
Newborn
newhusky_lover

Female Join date : 2012-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:42 pm

be careful with which one you get. i got one from petsmart and every couple of days my husky pulls it up. I would just keep checking it when you put your dog on it. or get one of the ones someone recommended above.
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 pm

KibaHope wrote:
well we use this setup in our backyard and the two biggest issues are:
1. the line is a human trip wire. BEWARE! when your playing with your pup that weighs 10lbs its not so bad but as it grows you have to constantly mind the wire to make sure its not going to catch your legs

had that happen more that once and in the summer time i had this happen and it cut my ankle and it hurt

newhusky_lover wrote:
be careful with which one you get. i got one from petsmart and every couple of days my husky pulls it up. I would just keep checking it when you put your dog on it. or get one of the ones someone recommended above.

i'm thinking about when my husky gets bigger i will have to buy a new one (right now my husky mix uses the one i got now and she hasn't pulled it out) i will concrete it into the ground
Back to top Go down
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Last year while camping a friend beought one of those corkscrew tie oits for her 90lb GDS. it worked fine for the first couple days when she didn't really test it, then she saw a squirrell... She ripped it out of the grass like nothing and dragged it around while chasing the squirrel. lol

But that dog is very strong with a super higjt prey drive. I doubt my Sibe would pull it out of the ground. Also with a 50ft rope attached they're much easier to catch than if they escape without a least on. Haha
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm

We use a 30 foot lead and have it secured to a cinderblock. Qannik never tries to run away. He's very happy to just putter around and chill out.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 pm

the one Kelli used is the exact one that we had with Butkis it worked so well we had to pound it two inches below grade when we were done with it cause we fenced the yard. lol! I did not realize I would get a jumper for a pup and wanted it gone but could not pull it out of the ground. I could not find it when we looked so we got the much similar hurricane stake that I showed above which is just a few more $. Either I would highly reccomend.

I just wish I cold do something else since we have a fenced yard but the runner is a must because of all the woods we have a long line justs gets tangled and I do not want to stangle Bourbon. pale

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie   Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie Empty

Back to top Go down

Ground Stake Cork Screw Dog Leash Tie

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1