It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Grooming several huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

Grooming several huskies? Empty
PostSubject: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:43 am

Hello, as you can see Im new on these parts. Ive searched the forum and havent found anything on this question so hopefully it hasnt really been made or so. My question is, in the future I'd like to get another husky as a pal for shiva (in total I'd like 2 huskies and a puggie as a dog family) not to mention I have my heart set on specifically red huskies for shivas pal; and well, she is blowing her coat as we speak and I do 15 min furminator treatments every day (atleast until she finishes blowing) and I do it softly since it has to be an everyday thing. When she isnt blowing I furm her once a week. Usually the house is pretty hair free (atleast for having a husky) but boy, this time around blowing her coat, even the furm treatments every day dont seem to be enough! But I dont furm her more than once a day so its more vacuuming for me I guess. This has gotten me thinking about not actually getting a second husky :/ . She is indoors and only goes outside on supervised play times and to eliminate as well as walks every night. I live in south florida so I dont like to walk her during the day (its hooooot). That being said I dont really have the luxury to have her outside when shes blowing lol. It wasnt until this forum that I heard furms arent that great for the coat and that high velocity dryers are way better. But I saw a video on how its done and it seems wayy to messy for me. Am I missing something?

To be fair, I think it has something to do with her meals as to why her blowing coat this time around is wayyy more horrible. Ive stopped giving oil supplements and well as missing link powders to her food for a couple of months now and changed her from raw to dry/wet mix (sorry, I just dont have the time to study vet tech and fix her raw anymore Sad ) I started back the supplements today so hopefully itll improve. SO, the real question (im sorry if this has been so confusing lol) IS how do you deal with multiple huskies during blowing coats AND keeping the house clean?? Whats your secret Razz
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:03 am

We live, breathe, and eat fur here. Smile

I grew up living in a fur pigsty so it doesn't bother me, it was bad before we even got the huskies. The only time I freak out about hair in my food is if its a human hair. And for some reason the carpet keeps changing color, wouldn't know why. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:10 am

Woowww lol, I guess that works for some people and thats one way to deal with it: acceptance lmao Smile and I can hear the remarks from the future "why'd ya get a husky if ya dont want fur on your floor" lol, but truthfully I can deal with some hair, but not tufts like shes leaving right now. I do plan to get a roomba soon so hopefully that will help. Speaking of hair in food I was thinking about that today! I was eating pasta and was like "man, during this blowing season I mustve eaten a couple of grams of fur right about now"
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:17 am

Blowing a dog out with a high velocity blower is a mess. It is also extremely effective. Hair will get everywhere, though, so it'd be best done in like a tent or somewhere contained and easy to clean afterwards.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:26 am

Chiviri's mum wrote:
Woowww lol, I guess that works for some people and thats one way to deal with it: acceptance lmao Smile and I can hear the remarks from the future "why'd ya get a husky if ya dont want fur on your floor" lol, but truthfully I can deal with some hair, but not tufts like shes leaving right now. I do plan to get a roomba soon so hopefully that will help. Speaking of hair in food I was thinking about that today! I was eating pasta and was like "man, during this blowing season I mustve eaten a couple of grams of fur right about now"
Lol! I'm sure the fur wouldn't be so bad if I vacuumed everyday. But there's just so much to vacuum that i really don't want to do it everyday. Especially the stairs, they're exhausting. If you brush them everyday and vacuum it shouldn't be too bad, unless they're both blowing their coats. There's usually no tufts laying around unless I pluck them off one of them. When I see tufts on them it's outside for a brushing they go.

People freak out when I say I pluck my dogs, guess they just don't understand. I used some of Maya's fur for an art project once, they couldn't understand how I got that much fur in such a little amount of time. I think I still have that project laying around somewhere. If the cats haven't eaten it.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:34 am

Lol, we vacuum every 3rd day, and our 3bd 2ba rambler fills our vaccuum up 4 times with the dirt and hair our animals shed, and I only have 1 husky. Its a constant battle, and if I ever date again, I doubt they will want to A. Share my bed with my dogs or B. Sleep in a fur covered bed. I don't mind it though, the dogs don't get as upset when I boot them off because its too warm.
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:37 am

K9_Eric wrote:
Blowing a dog out with a high velocity blower is a mess. It is also extremely effective. Hair will get everywhere, though, so it'd be best done in like a tent or somewhere contained and easy to clean afterwards.

I see. I guess I could use the spare bathroom and then do major cleanup afterwards.

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Lol! I'm sure the fur wouldn't be so bad if I vacuumed everyday. But there's just so much to vacuum that i really don't want to do it everyday. Especially the stairs, they're exhausting. If you brush them everyday and vacuum it shouldn't be too bad, unless they're both blowing their coats.

Yeah, same. I just...dont wanna! Razz too much work and I dont have the time to spend 45 min- 1hour vacuuming everyday. Its absurd lol
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:43 am

Just remember to take everything you don't need out of that bathroom. I swear I used to eat far too much fiber when I'd be stuck in the groom room with a bunch of double coated dogs for a day. If you're ever down about how much your dog sheds, though, look at the Wiki page for Newfies. It has a picture of the dog next to its brushed out undercoat. I think the undercoat is the large volume of the two.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:53 am

I've just learned to live with the hair and I vacuum when I can. My car will never be the same and there's a lot of fur in the garage? Which is odd. But I'm lucky because Pippa's fur isn't exceptionally thick.

K9_Eric wrote:
Its a constant battle, and if I ever date again, I doubt they will want to A. Share my bed with my dogs or B. Sleep in a fur covered bed. I don't mind it though, the dogs don't get as upset when I boot them off because its too warm.

Haha I thought about that last night when I was folding sheets. Clean sheets. With husky hair still all over them. But I figure that I probably won't end up dating anyone who doesn't like my dog...haha
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:06 am

Oh my god. I bought a $700 1996 Honda Accord specifically as the dog car, because my car is old, and all original, with a tan interior and I was terrified to let them in without lining the entire thing with blankets. Sadly, I never get to drive my car anymore, because one of them at least always insists that they need to come.

Lol, A girl I dated for 3 yrs, who stuck with me for months of absence while I'd work in Alaska, broke it off after 6 months of my raising Soshanna, because I spent too much time with my dog. So, a month later, I adopted Mixie. Nobody brave enough for a serious relationship has popped up since, So I got Panzer, lol. I'm destined to eventually meet a woman with 5 dogs and merge our kennels, and sleep on a bed of dogs, fur, and ruined down comforters..
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:15 am

Haha an Accord is a great alternative though!

What a stupid reason to break up with someone. "Sleep on a bed of dogs" is one of the weirder sentences I've read today haha.

I figured I would meet guys at the park that would feel about their dog the way I feel about my dog, but that hasn't happened at all. People can't BELIEVE I let such a hairy beast onto my bed haha
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:18 am

K9_Eric wrote:
Lol, A girl I dated for 3 yrs, who stuck with me for months of absence while I'd work in Alaska, broke it off after 6 months of my raising Soshanna, because I spent too much time with my dog. So, a month later, I adopted Mixie. Nobody brave enough for a serious relationship has popped up since, So I got Panzer, lol. I'm destined to eventually meet a woman with 5 dogs and merge our kennels, and sleep on a bed of dogs, fur, and ruined down comforters..
Sounds like heaven right there. I haven't found a guy yet, though I don't really look either. I have issues with being around guys anyway so I'll just stay with my pups. Smile

I have a 1994 Chrysler Sebring that's already a piece of junk so I don't need to worry about them scratching it up. Maya loves the convertible top. Smile
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:27 am

Lol, I don't even keep my eyes out anymore. A girl at a dog park could be flirting and I'd probably be stupidly stuck on the dogs.. I have friends who tell me wild 21 yr old stories from at the bar, or parties and I'm just like "Yeah, this Saturday I bathed Soshanna AND Mixie..."

Oh God. I'm a single father...and so young, too...

Lol, our cars probably look like a matched set.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 4:18 am

This is one of the more polite and space saving formations my dogs have adopted:

Grooming several huskies? IMG_20121211_215929_zpsa4107524
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 am

K9_Eric wrote:
Lol, I don't even keep my eyes out anymore. A girl at a dog park could be flirting and I'd probably be stupidly stuck on the dogs.. I have friends who tell me wild 21 yr old stories from at the bar, or parties and I'm just like "Yeah, this Saturday I bathed Soshanna AND Mixie..."

lol! i feel you!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 12:07 pm

K9_Eric wrote:

They probably do. That's an adorable picture of your pups. Smile
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Yeah, every once in a while they do something cute and I figure maybe ill keep them after all..
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:19 pm

K9_Eric wrote:
Just remember to take everything you don't need out of that bathroom. I swear I used to eat far too much fiber when I'd be stuck in the groom room with a bunch of double coated dogs for a day. If you're ever down about how much your dog sheds, though, look at the Wiki page for Newfies. It has a picture of the dog next to its brushed out undercoat. I think the undercoat is the large volume of the two.
For sure

K_Eric wrote:
Lol, A girl I dated for 3 yrs, who stuck with me for months of absence while I'd work in Alaska, broke it off after 6 months of my raising Soshanna, because I spent too much time with my dog. So, a month later, I adopted Mixie. Nobody brave enough for a serious relationship has popped up since, So I got Panzer, lol. I'm destined to eventually meet a woman with 5 dogs and merge our kennels, and sleep on a bed of dogs, fur, and ruined down comforters.

and all your next posts made me laugh so hard Laughing awwww, I always say dont come looking for love, itll find you. Thats how I met my husband, and he loves her fur more than I do lol. Some people I guess just cant/wont handle it. I wouldnt say its a stupid reason to break up with someone. I myself wouldnt be able to be with a guy who has several cats and sleep with them. Not to mention Im partially allergic, but I just dont fancy cats. Maybe it was something like that for the girl. I gotta admit, I do understand when people leave their partners because they spend too much time on something and it becomes a lack of intimacy, ya know? Could be work, little league of football players, even spending too much time on animals is understandable. I have an entire room here in my house where we keep all our desert series reptiles in there. Monitor, tortoise, several bearded dragons, sand boa, certain toads, certain geckos, etc and Id understand if someone interested might gear him off because I spend quite a bit of my day cleaning and feeding them (and talking about them lmao!) But I see that as not meant to be with the person.

People who are right accept the person with faults because those faults are acceptable to them and the good happens to be better than most other "catches". Obviously compromisation is a must sometimes but you get the idea. One day, you will meet someone that is right, and loves all your kids as much as you do Smile
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:19 am

bumping* sorry, just I didnt receive any answers from folks that like a clean house AND have several huskies. (if there exists such a thing scratch lol)
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:28 am

If you've got several huskies (or dogs), and you want to keep it clean, you are going to have to spend a lot of time and effort brrushing out your huskies, and vaccuuming your house. I vaccuum multiple times a week and fill up the vaccuuum multiple times per vaccuuming
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 am

K9_Eric wrote:
I vaccuum multiple times a week and fill up the vaccuuum multiple times per vaccuuming

Yup. At least when she's blowing her coat. (At least what I assume is her blowing her coat. Have only had her since August.)

There's a thread on here about robotic vacuums, but it seems that people generally still have to actually vacuum pretty regularly.

Brush a lot and vacuum less, or vacuum a lot and brush less. Seems to be the running theme of my life.
Back to top Go down
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
Dragonfly

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:12 pm

This is why my dogs sleep in outside kennels lol.

However, Maya is staying in the house right now because she's going to have puppies and I go over her every day with the undercoat rake, a double sided brush, and a regular plastic comb. The comb actually seems to be the life saver when you're trying to brush your dogs every day.

When they're blowing their coat tho, I just get a large garbage can and start brushing them out with the undercoat rake and throwing the fur in as I go, it seems to work pretty good. (But I do it in the garage or outside patio.) And I always finish with a plastic comb.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Never use a Furminator on a double coated breed like a Siberian, it cuts the guard hair and ruins the coat. When my kennel is shedding (11 in total) we use an undercoat rake almost daily and a pin brush to finish a straight comb to get the tangles out, right toward the end of the shedding it's to the bath for a warm bath and high velocity dryer blow out. End of shedding for that period, repeat for the next.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 am

I am currently saving up money to buy a high velocity dryer. I CANNOT wait to have one. What I do to keep it down as much as possible; brush both dogs out every day with an undercoat rake and pin brush and vacuum once to twice a week. I brush them in the stairwell to my apartment (I live in a basement apt, so I have the stairs all to myself) and clean that area up. I also lint roll all my clothes before I throw them in the laundry basket. I HATE doing it, but it makes everything so much easier. I also let my worst shedder sleep with me in the bed, so I could probably make another two or three dogs out of my sheets.

The only way to deal with it is to put the energy in to keeping things clean lol. There is no easy way around it. There is nothing wrong with not wanting another husky because of hair. I really regret it once in awhile when things get bad, and Sheba is only blowing her puppy coat, so it's nothing. Since you are so busy with studying, it's probably a good idea to wait.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm

My hubby is the hair freak around here. Like it seriously bothers him way more than it does me (I grew up with dogs and hair, we had a collie that slept with me as a kid) so he does the vacuuming. He also brushes Karli, even if I've already brushed her that day.

He knew I loved animals when we got married, and birds were the first animals we had. But he also knew that one day I would want a dog. He loves his cars, we accept that about each other lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grooming several huskies?   Grooming several huskies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Grooming several huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1