It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva Empty
PostSubject: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:56 am

Hello all, my question is, chiviri is blowing her coat like no other, and when it started I started to furminate her everyday. When I started furming her it was the start of blowing, i had to do it for like 30-45 min at normal pressure. After 2-3 days of this I noticed thinning sections on her left and right sides of her head. I stopped furming those sections because I was afraid it might turn into bald spots and started to do 15 min gentle treatments on the rest of her body with the furm from there after because I figured it mightve been the furm getting too much hair. To me it looks kinda ugly and Im afraid of it staying that way but the left/right sides of her head keep shedding profusely. Should I be worried? I dont want to stop furming her all together because it really helps but what should I do about the thinning sections that constantly shed? Should I ignore it, is this normal, has anyone had this problem? I heard about HVDryers but it seems too much of a mess but when I do have the funds, Ill probably invest in one since Ive heard its better.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 am

Well if you actually watch when using a furminator, it's not just brushing out the fur, but it's ripping, shredding and cutting the fur as well. I would never use them.

When my dogs blow their coats I use just a normal brush, works a million times better
I use this http://www.amazon.com/Millers-Forge-Stainless-Designer-Grooming/dp/B001NLVFH2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355636891&sr=8-5&keywords=dog+brush+slicker

Yes HV Dryers are the best, and they're not a mess if you just use it outside. When my dogs are blowing, they are off to the groomers about 2 weeks in so they can do all the brushing and blow drying..
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:29 pm

A slicker brush does nothing for me :/. Cutting the fur doesnt seem accurate either, I dont agree it cuts the fur per se. Im thinking about waiting it out until her new fur comes in . From the outside it doesnt look bad, Im just picky, but if you run your hands through it you can feel the thinning. I do agree that it can be rough, thats why I try to do it softly and I know it isnt the best tool out there for sure. Unfortunately I havent met a groomer that is seems qualified to handle a double coated breed (ive sent her before to some, Im never crazy about the results) In south florida, most breeds people have 80% of the time are those like shitzus, chihuahua is a big one, dachshunds...yeah thats about it. Or that they want an exorbitant amount of money to do her, something like $70.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:35 pm

When Mishka blows coat- she looks horrible. The hair around her head gets so thin and she just looks a MESS. It's really bad. She gets very thin all over when she blows. I don't furminate either- It does strip the coat and cut at the guard hairs. It's actually a blade (from a clipper) that someone figured out you can make into a "brush" and threw a handle on it.

Have you heard of an undercoat rake? I use a combination of undercoat rake and slicker brushes to de-shed my dogs. It does not cut the coat. My heavier coated dog, Odin, does need a stripping rake... my others do not.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 pm

Well glad to know the thinning happens and its kinda normal. Along time ago I did try a take thing, kinda looks like an oval shaped metal thing but I have seen the slicker/rake thingy combo at petsuper. About the clipper head thing, Ill look into that, wouldnt doubt it though. I noticed your siggy, Im in south florida actually lol, ima clicky
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:25 pm

No, it's not the oval thing. It's this Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva PS808_230X230

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Does that really work? I guess Ill give it a try until I get an HVDryer eventually, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:14 am

So I bought one....I haaattee it lol, no offense. It leaves too much of a mess to call it a convenient tool. But the fluff:guard hair ratio was higher in fluff than compared to the furminator, which had alot of her black hair. Sooooo if thats what it takes to get shiva more fluffy because Im not taking alot of guard hair, then so be it. Its just very frustrating *le sigh*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva   Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinning sections on left and right sides of head on shiva

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1