It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

backpack suggestion and size?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

backpack suggestion and size? Empty
PostSubject: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 pm

I want to buy saya a backpack but I dont know what size or which one to get. I was looking into the ruffwears but I wonder if they are worth it for me. Saya and I will not be hiking or doing any heavy activities anytime soon, I just want a backpack for her to have when we go on walks that way she has a job to do. Any suggestions on which one I should get and what size?
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 12:15 am

Each different company has different sizes, so the size would depend on what you buy. We have one Ruff Wear backpack and two Outward Hound backpacks and I like them all. Outward Hound is definitely cheaper though! I think I got mine for like $26 or so, whereas the RuffWear ones are over $100. They're good quality too. I haven't had any issues with it and it doesn't feel "cheap" or anything. You can also check ebay for RuffWear gear and get slightly used stuff. Our pack was slightly used on ebay and I got it for $30. Its just like new Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 1:33 am

I'd suggest going with a Ruffwear pack. I've heard too many complaints about Outward Hound packs not lasting to even consider it.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 1:43 am

If you're looking for a backpack to put on Saya on walks and maybe put a little weight in it, here's an inexpensive one.
http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/ProductInfo.cfm?Item=26299

Not sure how long it will lasts, but it sounds like you're not going to do much with it?

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 am

I wouldn't bother with a RW pack if you will not be putting it through much wear. Any backpack should be able to hold up a few lbs in the pack on walks.
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions:-) val I did considered getting the ruffwear but I was wondering if it was worth the money considering the fact that I won't be hiking at all it is just to use on usual walks. Claudia you are correct I wont do too much with it just routine stuff.
Back to top Go down
TreemanAndy
Newborn
Newborn
TreemanAndy

Male Join date : 2012-12-01

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 pm

When using a backpack, how much weight can I expect my 50 lb husky to carry? I take her hiking and am thinking of taking her backpacking too, but I don't want to overload her. Thanks
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 pm

10% of body weight is a good rule of thumb, but definitely work up to it. Where are you guys thinking of going? Now that we're up here in MD I want to get down to Shenandoah and some of the other good hiking spots.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

backpack suggestion and size? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:23 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
10% of body weight is a good rule of thumb, but definitely work up to it. Where are you guys thinking of going? Now that we're up here in MD I want to get down to Shenandoah and some of the other good hiking spots.

Hmmm - we are working towards 25% per the WPD title with SHCA...I didn't think it would be dangerous to do 25. After consumption of food and water it will end up around 10 but, we had been instructed to work towards 25%

Is that overloading?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:27 am

I could be wrong, I just remember reading 10%. Which, for a 50 lb dog would be 5 lbs. I'll go back and research it again.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

backpack suggestion and size? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 am

Not saying you are wrong dear! Just asking:)
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 am

mheath0429 wrote:
blueeyedghost wrote:

Hmmm - we are working towards 25% per the WPD title with SHCA...I didn't think it would be dangerous to do 25. After consumption of food and water it will end up around 10 but, we had been instructed to work towards 25%

Is that overloading?
I think it would be overloading your dog. The site you are referencing is what your dog needs to be able to complete in order to be recognized as part of the working dog program.

If you start out with a pack that is 25% of your dogs weight, that would be a big load, even if you are going to lessen the pack weight eventually.

Try carrying a pack on your back that is equal to 25% of your body weight starting out and go for 10 miles while you lessen your pack to 10% of your body weight. Especially if you're packing for the first time, you'll be in pain.

Even if your dog is in good physical shape, why put that kind of stress on them which can stress their joints especially later in life.

I can't find the site anymore, but I know I read 10% of the dogs body weight is good guideline for what a dog shouldn't carry more than. If you're dog is in good physical shape and has been hiking consistently and carries a pack consistently with weight, maybe you could go a few more lbs that 10%, but I wouldn't load more than 15% of the dog weight at most.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:24 am

It's from SHCA and its the requirements for WPD -

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:29 am

mheath0429 wrote:
It's from SHCA and its the requirements for WPD -

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm
Unless you are going to have your dog in a working dog program, I wouldn't load a pack that heavy.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:32 am

Absolutely - but we are working towards that..if it's not safe I won't do it, hence why I am asking Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:38 am

TreemanAndy wrote:
When using a backpack, how much weight can I expect my 50 lb husky to carry? I take her hiking and am thinking of taking her backpacking too, but I don't want to overload her. Thanks

blueeyedghost wrote:
Meredith is correct. Work up to 10% of your dog's body weight. This means that 5lbs would be what your dog's pack would weigh. Once you get your dog in shape and used to carrying weight, you could go a little past 10% of your dog's body weight. I will have Storm and Ginger carry their own water when we're hiking.

Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Just fyi 1 gallon of water is 8.35lbs.
Back to top Go down
TreemanAndy
Newborn
Newborn
TreemanAndy

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks everyone! That helps out a lot. The weight of water helps out a lot too.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:10 pm

joining in late. i have the ruff wear approach for Khuno:

backpack suggestion and size? Approachpack_blue_Zoom

it works very well. holds a few bottles of water and some other odds and ends of things. very sturdy if you pick up the dog from the handle. It doesn't hurt khuno at all when i need to do it to lift him over some obstacles that he can't get up by himself.

where in MD are you located exactly? i'm right in Baltimore city. I typically will take Khuno up to bel air to walk him on some of the park trails up that way (Gunpowder falls)
Back to top Go down
TreemanAndy
Newborn
Newborn
TreemanAndy

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm in Frederick MD.

So I ended up going to the local outfitter and got an Alpha Dog pack from Granite Gear. The sales person used it for their dog and liked it a lot so I thought I'd give it a try. Looking forward to take Roxy out in it this weekend!
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 am

When I start taking Loki out backpacking I will be putting 100 ounces of water into his backpack. 100 ounces equals approximately 6.5lbs and 10% of his weight.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:25 am

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
When I start taking Loki out backpacking I will be putting 100 ounces of water into his backpack. 100 ounces equals approximately 6.5lbs and 10% of his weight.
If he is not used to hiking with weight in his pack, I would start out with a little less water working up to 100 ounces over a few hikes.

Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 3:02 am

cmanding wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
If he is not used to hiking with weight in his pack, I would start out with a little less water working up to 100 ounces over a few hikes.

Thank you for the heads up. I thought it would be ok because I thought the normal starting weight is 10% of their weight.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 am

I had a meeting for an area Siberian club, and I asked about WPD and proper pack weights on hikes. We have a couple of people specialize (10 or more years organizing hikes and WPD hikes) in WPD and basic hiking and I asked about pack weights, because there isn't alot of good information available. I was assured by all of them that a healthy, 2 year old Siberian can handle 10% without working up to it and 25% on excursions (when I asked frequency they said roughly 1x a month is not being trained) without any negative effects. Quote "Well, they are bred to pull and if they can pull humans, including those who walk them, 5lbs in a pouch is nothing." A siberian 18 mos. and up should only carry 10% until 2 years of age. They advised against hiking with packs before that age.

However, if the dog is overweight, underweight, under the age of two or exhibits any kind of pain relating to shoulds/hips/joints, tread cautiously. That being said, your normal average dog should be more than capable, according to the people i talked to last night.

Just some food for thought, I love to share the information I get form all the pros I meet at these meetings - sometimes I feel like I am such a noob after talking to all of them.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Just for me, I think pulling from their chest vs. carry weight on their backs are a little different.

Use your own judgement. Each dog is different. You know your dogs best and what physical shape they are in.

Personally, I would rather work up to weight so their joints and muscles are not stressed or pulled. I take into consideration the difficulty of the hike and terrain. I like to take it easy on my dogs at first and working up to physical activity and strength. My dogs are also a little older and Storm does not have the metabolism nor was he ever in the physical shape most huskies are through the first 6 years of life.

Talking to pros who work their dogs on a regular basis is great to get info, however, my dogs are not working dogs so I personally couldn't start them out as they would or could compare my dogs to theirs.

PostSubject: Re: backpack suggestion and size?   backpack suggestion and size? Empty

Back to top Go down

backpack suggestion and size?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next