It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Restroom fenced in back yard.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lexyboo0715
Newborn
Newborn
lexyboo0715

Female Join date : 2012-12-26

Restroom fenced in back yard. Empty
PostSubject: Restroom fenced in back yard.   Restroom fenced in back yard. EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 am

Lexy is now about 90% house trained at about 5.5 months. My question to you guys are "Do you still leash your dog to go to the restroom in a fenced back yard?". My husband.. Does not leash her. But he does follow her around and I see no point of that. I think its much easier just to leash her. The reason why is because she will sit there and drink water from the puddles or see bugs and try to chase them around instead of doing her duty. My husband ends up just telling her no and to get her in the house, he uses treats which works majority of time. But calling her on command is hit or miss. The only reason I ask is my sister in-law has older dogs a bull terrier and english bulldogs that you just open the door and the go about there business then come back in.Is it the type of dog? Is it the age? We feed Lexy all the time and she will pick up anything off the ground and eat it.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Restroom fenced in back yard.   Restroom fenced in back yard. EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 3:13 am

I let my girls out individually to go do their business in our fenced in yard. They'll go do it and come right back in usually. Or if they get distracted i can call them back in unless they see a cat, squirrel, or the neighbors dog is out. Then it will take some effort to bring them back in. Other wise Kay and Sophie come back in on command 95% of the time and Maya comes back in about 70% of the time.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Restroom fenced in back yard.   Restroom fenced in back yard. EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 4:18 am

Mine both have always had free access to outside via dog door and go and do their business on their own. When I have the door out and open it for them to go, they go and come in unless they want to nap outside in which case they just stay out. I've never had to leash walk a dog in the backyard. I always treated them once they walked through the door when called back which probably helped a lot. I still do it as it helps with recall if they ever get out. Wink
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Restroom fenced in back yard.   Restroom fenced in back yard. EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 10:23 am

My yard is fully fenced in, but it's too much freedom for them (have almost an acre fully fenced in) so I use a tether. If my yard was smaller w/a taller fence, I would let them have free access.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Restroom fenced in back yard.   Restroom fenced in back yard. EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Panzer used to be impossible to catch and bring inside, so I did used to walk her on her leash in the backyard to potty, but it was more or less because she had such a terrible start to life.

Now, we just let all the dogs out at once and let them roam their acre, and play, and chase birds and eventually go to the bathroom. Usually they all go pee pretty quickly after their initial spring race, and then they play for a little while before they go number two. Id say they are always left out for 15 minutes or so, unless they are begging to come in because of rain, which is plenty of time for them to go.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Restroom fenced in back yard.   Restroom fenced in back yard. EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 5:52 pm

When we first got Lola at seven months, I would leash her to go potty in our fenced in yard. Now I let her out by herself. She comes back to the door when she is done. I just watch her from the window and always have shoes on in case she is doing something silly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Restroom fenced in back yard.   Restroom fenced in back yard. Empty

Back to top Go down

Restroom fenced in back yard.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1