It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Heat Cycle Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

heat - Heat Cycle Question Empty
PostSubject: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm

At what part of the heat cycle isn't a female fertile?
We're going to have five dogs at our house this weekend (including Nunya and Snoopy) and one of them just came out of the visible part of the heat cycle about a week ago. Snoopy isn't neutered (until Monday... muahaha >:]), and I know he's young but I don't want to take any chances with letting him run with her if there's a chance she could get impregnated, since I can't find anything on how you can really tell if a male has reached sexual maturity.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure if this was health of general?
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:44 pm

I know that only after a female stops bleeding, she becomes really fertile. I'm not too sure about the time frames, but I'm sure others can chip in that info. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm

I believe it's the 12-14th days of their heat cycle, so usually right after they stop bleeding. I would keep them separated the whole time, there's probably a very good chance she could get pregnant if he mounted her.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Okay, thanks. He can play with the other two, until he's snipped. Then he's on bedrest.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm

It's about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks from when the bleeding started. The girl parts will become less firm looking, bleeding stops/gets yellowish, and she will encourage males to approach (IMO, the female's attitude is a really good indicator for most). I would play it safe and keep them separated because (1) if he tries to mount her before she feels ready, she could get aggressive and hurt him and (2) if he is successful, the sperm could potentially live until she ovulates.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Those would be some fugly pups. She's pit bull-boexer lol
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 8:08 pm

dahowlers wrote:
Those would be some fugly pups. She's pit bull-boexer lol

"Who you callin' fugly?!"
heat - Heat Cycle Question 5636ekd_27

Kidding elephant
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Aaw, that's kinda cute!
But I'm not trying to getting his hopes up
She keeps flagging nunya and he has no idea and just wants to play, meanwhile Snoopy is screaming his head off and slamming into the door in my bedroom.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heat Cycle Question   heat - Heat Cycle Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Heat Cycle Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1