It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help !! People food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

Female Join date : 2012-12-01

people - Help !! People food  Empty
PostSubject: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 10:17 am

So I'm wondering if my dog is being deprived Crying or Very sad When people like my brothers or dad offer my dog Crying or Very sad food i No yell NOO affraid please dont give her any people food and my brother and other people go on about they give their dogs bread table scraps this and that ... Im scared shes going to have the runs and get No sick I stick to ND dog food and treats . I give her frozen pumpkin in her kong and apples not whole .. but thats pretty much it. I know the basic of not to give a dog but can you share what people food is safe that you give your pup? I know chicken is no skin and bones .and ???
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 10:59 am

I don't give my dog's people food and do not allow it, but I know for a fact that my mother and sister both sneak giving it to them. I tell them not to, but they do it anyway haha. It's not a huge deal, my dog's stomachs can handle it and don't get the runs or anything from it. Every dog is different and some have more sensitive stomach's than others.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 am

My mom and aunt are horrible about giving their dogs people food. I have to tell them no every single time. Bode does has a sensitive stomach, but I'm more concerned about him begging a lot if he thinks he gets people food.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 pm

We used to give Fargo left over green beans and broccoli from the table and sometimes beef juice but I wished we hadn't. Lola only gets carrots as treats plus pumpkin and yogurt in her kongs. She doesn't beg which is so nice! Fargo would pester us when we were eating and he could be way too convincing! Of course Fargo had an iron stomach and Lola has a sensitive one.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 12:30 pm

The only people food Freya gets is the stuff she steals when she's counter surfing.

I dont consider Natural yoghurt people food as I only buy it for Ferya's kongs, and the people living in the house ie. myself and my kids, kinow it as Fre's Yoghurt.

Human food upsets Freya's tummy and I think it's bad manners for her to beg while we're eating.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 2:05 pm

We started out not giving Ezio any sort of people food trying to keep him from becoming a beggar, but he's just so cute we couldn't help trying a few things. He has a sensitive stomach so he can't get just anything, but a little piece of pizza crust has been okay. And for some reason he can eat a whole, plain hamburger and he's just fine. Other than that we don't give him much of anything. Treats are just that, treats. You don't need to feed your dog much (or any) people food. They're just as happy with the occasional doggie treat.

My MIL and her family feed people food to their dogs as MAIN food sources. It doesn't matter what they're having for dinner, their dogs have the same thing. Spaghetti, steak, pizza. And her dogs are fat. And mean. Ugh. Moral of the story is moderation!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Stephanie, your dog is not deprived just because you limit the people food that your dog gets. To be honest, most dogs eat far too much unhealthy people food and their health suffers as a result.

I give my dogs people food on occasion, but I really limit what they can have. I try to limit the people food to meats mainly (boneless & without seasoning of course) and I feed them after I eat and away from the table so that they do not learn to beg while we are eating.

Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:11 pm

I never give Lycus people food either but my dad will sneak in breads to him too lol. I always tell them absolutely no bones though. Although, if I'm around, I just won't let them feed him people food anyways.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Bodhi never gets bread.
Sometimes we give him carrots or apple slices, and if we are grilling salmon, he gets the skin.
That's it.
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:18 pm

jalepeno wrote:
Bodhi never gets bread.
Sometimes we give him carrots or apple slices, and if we are grilling salmon, he gets the skin.
That's it.

Once I gave our bunny a baby carrot and tried to give Ezio one too. He gnawed on it for like an hour and was unable to actually eat any of it. Razz
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I almost never feed my dogs people food, and when I do, they never see it come off my plate.
That being said, I only feed them raw salmon, or cooked bacon, and never while I'm actually eating my food.

However, I do love my dogs, and will give all 6 a slice of bacon, when I was only planning on cooking 4 slices for myself

And, when I fish for Salmon, the first 2 have always been for the dogs, granted they get their salmon live.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:56 pm

This reminds me, I gave all 3 of mine cooked prime rib last night from my dinner. Faith refused to eat it...I swear that creature is seriously not a dog, my other 2 went bonkers for it. What dog turns down a juicy cooked prime rib?! Suspect

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I give my dogs people food, but I use it as training - Cato's free baiting is impeccable because of it. I don't give them cookies or anything, but apples, the occasional potato chip, broccoli, lots of cucumbers.

Mine eat raw anyway, so I don't worry about an upset tummy. I just don't give chocolate, onions or grapes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 6:39 pm

I remember as a young kid, before knowing that dogs couldn't have chocolate, I fed half of a costco chocolate and chocolate chip muffin to my chihuahua.

Nothing happened. At all.

The Gus Bus was full of surprises like that, though.

11lbs when he should have been 9lb, ate human food always, had virtually no knees and never stopped running like he was a puppy ttill the day he ate himself to death on a stolen pizza...
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 6:40 pm

That's kinda sad Eric
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 pm

I know. To this day I don't talk to my mother because she destroys living things.
He died when I was 11, I believe.
Back to top Go down
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 7:55 pm

K9_Eric wrote:
I almost never feed my dogs people food, and when I do, they never see it come off my plate.
That being said, I only feed them raw salmon, or cooked bacon, and never while I'm actually eating my food.

However, I do love my dogs, and will give all 6 a slice of bacon, when I was only planning on cooking 4 slices for myself

And, when I fish for Salmon, the first 2 have always been for the dogs, granted they get their salmon live.

That is love giving your dog any bacon lol ; ) big or small
Back to top Go down
sleighperez1@yahoo.com
Newborn
Newborn
sleighperez1@yahoo.com

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
This reminds me, I gave all 3 of mine cooked prime rib last night from my dinner. Faith refused to eat it...I swear that creature is seriously not a dog, my other 2 went bonkers for it. What dog turns down a juicy cooked prime rib?! Suspect

Wow I know I would'int refuse it Wink
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Baby carrots are Bode's favorite snack. He goes nuts for them. I don't consider them people food though, since we've treated them as treats from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 am

My hubby feeds Karli from the table and it drives me nuts. I keep telling him not to, but he does it behind my back. She does get the occasional people food, like any leftover meat we have, but I never wanted it to be from the table. He just doesn't listen to me when I tell him not to. Then he wanders why she follows him around the house when he has food.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 am

Too lazy to read replies.

I share probably a little of my food with my dogs every meal or snack(as does my husband and when we are back home at my mom's, grandma spoils them too but knows what is okay and what isn't- my mom made Rogue her own PB and banana sandwich with dog biscuits when she made her sandwich!). But I eat clean, so it's always a fruit, veggie, or a lean meat if I didn't season it with anything that could hurt them. My dogs don't beg for or expect it, and know they do not touch food unless it is handed to the,. Whenever I eat my Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, the dogs always get the clean the container out.. Haha. Rogue gets people food more often as she doesn't leave my side.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:48 am

I never feed them from a table so they dont beg, but they do lay under it waiting for things to fall.
I only give S&J raw things, fruits, veggies, chicken never anything processed or cooked. In the summer when I made salad almost everynight they had one to. I alos let them lick my greek yogure and cottage cheese containes clean and only feed natural peanut butter to get sierra to take her pills.
Its up to you want you want to give but I want to keep my 2 around for as long as I can so no fatty bad for ou human food, and that's easy cause I don't keep any of that crap in the house!

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 am

Haha, Jenn, seems like we are on the same page.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 am

The 3 humans, 6 dogs, and 2 cats in this house eat healthy, except Bacon. We tried turkey bacon, but not even Mixie, the Lab, really wanted it. It is our only weakness.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 am

Heather! wrote:
Haha, Jenn, seems like we are on the same page.

Its a good page to be on study

PostSubject: Re: Help !! People food    people - Help !! People food  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help !! People food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next