It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna is anemic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm

This morning the vet call us to give the result from her stool sample, she said Luna is anemic. I guess it's not that bad from what she told my girlfriend, she need another stool simple again to confirm it( sound strange to me, they want to charge another 90 buck).

Her spay is push back and she might go into heat they told us. My biggest worry is how we can Prepare our self for it and what pain will Luna be if any?
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but how can they tell she is anemic from her stool? Being anemic is a low count of red blood cells. I would think they would have to draw blood to test for that, not from the stool.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:44 pm

I have no idea, my girlfriend doesn't trust the vet because every time we go there they always seem to find something wrong. I'm going to call my girlfriend to see if they draw blood on Wednesday
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm

So they did a blood work,but didn't tell us about it. Its not on the Receipt that I received from them.They still need a stool simple.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:52 pm

I would consider changing vets with the way things have been going lately. I really wonder if they are just trying to get more money out of you. Does Luna seem fine? Acting normal/drinking/eating, and all that good stuff? I'm going to be changing vets soon myself. Discovered mine is just ripping me off. Sad
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Luna is normal, she still the same go happy girl. She weight in at 37.6 I think that's all for her age other than that I'm happy with her.

We want to change vet, but her Supervisor at her new job suggested we go to that vet since we got Luna. It's kind of tough on us to leave.
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:22 am

change vets!!!! I would not be concerned what someone else might think of it. Tell them why you are doing so - for the health and wellness of YOUR dog! Also, I agree that a blood test would be required, not a stool sample. See below from a google search..............

When your veterinarian suspects that your pet is anemic, the vet will perform a simple blood test in the office that determines the volume (percentage) of erythrocytes present in your pet's bloodstream. This test for anemia is called a "packed cell volume" or "hematocrit" (= PCV, Hct). A drop of blood is introduced into a thin glass tube and spun in a centrifuge to separate the red blood cells from the blood serum or plasma. The shorter the column of red cells, the more anemic the pet is. Your veterinarian may also stain and examine a thin film of your pet's blood on a slide to determine the characteristics of the red cells and blood platelets that are present. In this way, the vet can often distinguish between regenerative and non-regenerative anemias.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 am

I'm anemic, and always will be. To find out how "bad" it is I need to screen my blood with a very simple blood test. There is no stool sample involved. Adding things like liver to her diet can help.

Change vets, stop wasting your money!!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:51 pm

I have never heard of being able to tell if a dog (or human) is anemic from a stool sample. They can, of course, tell if there is blood in the stool, or worms.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Kizmat wrote:
So they did a blood work,but didn't tell us about it.

I would ask them for a copy of the report of that bloodwork and take her to another vet.

Supervisors come and go but there'll only be one Luna... it doesn't seem like too hard of a decision; you're doing it to make sure your dog is and stays healthy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Luna is anemic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is anemic    Luna is anemic  Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna is anemic

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-