It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ghost scared the hell out of me today!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Me & Ghost
Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

Female Join date : 2012-11-30

Ghost scared the hell out of me today! Empty
PostSubject: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Today Ghost SCARED the hell out of me!

We went to the beach and there was nobody there, so I took his leash off (it's winter here). We were playing... I threw sticks and he would run to catch them. Suddenly, his ears pointed front showing signs that something caught his sight. When I looked over there were 2 boys jogging. But they were really far. Ghost started to run like crazy, I've never seen him run like that. I startet running after him yelling "GHOST! GHOST!" But he didn't pay me any attention (normally he would look back, but this time he didn't even do that). He got to them like in 10 seconds O.o
The boys stopped after awhile looking around to see with who he was, but I was so far away that I don't think they saw me. They started running again (maybe they thought he would stop following them), and he started running again. I mean, he wasn't running after them or in front of them, he was running at their side like he was jogging with them.
I kept running but I wasn't making any progress, 'cause I don't run even half of him, and I was dressed with alot of clothes and boots, it was as if I wasn't even moving. So I started to get scared, I barely saw him. He was really far, I was only seeing blurs of their figures. I started yelling even louder! Then the boys stopped and looked back, and Ghost stopped with them. I started waving my arms in the air so they could see me. Thank God they saw me and started running in my direction. They stopped half way and I finally got to them. I was breathing so hard that I could barely talk. One of the boys said "we had to run back because he would always follow us", so I thanked them and thanked god for that. I put the leash on Ghost and he was all happy, he didn't even leave their side. I went back home and after 20m I was still trying to catch my breath.

So, does any of you have passed by one of these experiences? And does your husky obeys you in situations like this?
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Never unleash your husky unless you are in an enclosed area. I NEVER unleash Mia in public. She is the most curious pup!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Rogue listens to me, Koda does not.
I never unleash either of them intentionally. Even with Rogue having awesome recall and having easy voice control over her, it's not worth it to me incase she even decides to rebel or a freak accident happens.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm

glad you got Ghost back and this is a lesson learned as to why we say keep a leash on your husky unless in a fenced area, or are one hell of a long distance runner. huskies can have great recall but there can always be that one thing that takes more value over the recall and they are off after it. i have been lucky that i have never had to chase sierra or jack, if they get out the front door i just stand at the door and call them back in, thankfully there has not been a cat waiting in the street cause if there were they would be gone.
time to get a super long lead to play at the beach!

Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

Female Join date : 2012-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Unfortunately here in portugal with don't have those typical dog parks, nor we tend to have closed areas where dogs are allowed. I have 3 big gardens next to my house, and me and some other dog owner already talked that they could put a fence around one of them.
I don't tend to unleash Ghost unless it is night and he is with other dogs, 'cause he is crazy for dogs and doens't run away when he is playing with them, plus there's nothing on the street at that time. There is a building right beside my house that when the workers leave sometimes they forgot to close the gate, so I go inside with Ghost. But that doesn't happen always and it can only be at night Sad
Back to top Go down
jmbiller
Newborn
Newborn
jmbiller

Male Join date : 2013-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 pm

When i take jade to lakes and stuff i have a 150' long rope i use, i attach her to it and the other end to a rock or post or my truck and she is happy running around and able to get in the water and chase things but she is always tethered so she wont run away. She may be ok at coming when called at the dog park but i know what happens when she gets loose other places and it involves a lot of running to try and catch her because she doesn't listen.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 pm

I've never unleashed Nikko except in a dog park, because if he sees something he won't listen to me. At the dog park he is good, he will run around with the other dogs but always come back to me.

There was one time I almost had a heart attack. I had him teathered to a swing outside a friends house (they live on a farm, the road has only 1 other house on it), and he chewed through the leash and came walking up to me like nothing was wrong! I tried staying calm and got a treat and caught him, but he scared the crap out of me!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

I never let mine off leash, i have 3 50' leads for them when i go hiking. They never really listen to me at the dog park or even in our backyard sometimes.

Maya gave me a heart attack when the gate was open and she got out of the yard. I called for her when i couldn't see here anywhere. She then came running out of some trees so i said "Maya, come" in the lightest happiest tone i could manage and she came right back into the yard. I was surprised that she came back since she rarely comes when called.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm

I know that some people have taught their dogs emergency words, that are only used in the worst of times to recall a dog and the dog is trained to come immediately. Maybe this is something you and Ghost could work on?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 pm

We have a fenced in backyard, but one time the gate was open (I was ignorant at that fact). I let Juneau do her business outside while I walked back into the house to load dishes or occupy myself for a few minutes. I went back outside and she was gone! I looked around the yard and saw the open gate. It was nighttime by the way. I ran into the house and got treats/leash and ran out front and started calmly yelling her name. She ran right up to me, scared as hell lol. I was so scared that I lost her for good.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I think the only time I got worried was on a dog hike at a park near by. The trail is literally beside a super steep hill which might as well of been a cliff imo. It was one that if I went down, there was no way in hell that I could get back up.

Anyways one dog had the bright idea of going down the hill/cliff and it was muddy so of course he was slipping all the way down and could not get back p. Thane and a few dogs followed so I had to run over tether myself to a tree with my leash and grab idiot stick and a few other dogs from really getting hurt. Other than that no major problems he usually listens but since 3 other dogs did it he thought hey why not.
Back to top Go down
kobi269
Newborn
Newborn
kobi269

Male Join date : 2013-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I currently rent an above garage apartment from my buddy, They have a pretty big back yard. Kobi normally spend most of is time there when he is either not inside or on a long walk. Well we took him to the main house to play with my buddies Grate Dane and their ankle bitter ( chiuaua mix ). Well their niece opened the door when i was in the kitchen. Kobi bolted out the door. I was scared as they live one a moderately busy street. I ran outside with the leash looked everywhere, turned around to head back to the house to get my car keys and he was sitting there at the gate behind the house by the garage just waiting to be let into the backyard. I only had him for about a month, and I was so scared that he was going to get hit by a car that after i let him in the gate i almost puked lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ghost scared the hell out of me today!   Ghost scared the hell out of me today! Empty

Back to top Go down

Ghost scared the hell out of me today!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1