A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Ame and Megan!, our June HOTM winners! HOTM - July : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Ame and Megan,
our June HOTM Winners!
Beat the Heat!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Norsled!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Siberian Husky Recall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-12-13
Location : South Fl

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Clarity to agreement, folks. Play nicely.

_________________
Force Free Training Thread
Cheyenne, Mishka, Mickey, Rodeo, & Odin

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-01-29
Location : Broken Arrow, OK

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:35 pm

@SkylerWest wrote:
@ljelgin wrote:
lol! I first read this as Siberian Huskies were be recalled.. lol!

.

I'm sorry to inform you that your dog was built with a dangerous part that could possibly be a danger to you and your family, please bring your receipt and original package with dog inside to the nearest Sled Dog store for a full refund.

I guess I just read the topic name wrong.. There are topics here all time about dog food and treats being recalled that is what I first saw.

lol!

I am tired of new members bring up this topic time and time again.. Lets everyone do what they feel is right them and their dogs. Only the dogs owner knows what works and does not work with the dog(s).

I am sure there are better topics to talk about we seem to beating a dead horse to death if you get my meaning.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Santa Cruz, California

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40 pm

@ljelgin wrote:
I guess I just read the topic name wrong.. There are topics here all time about dog food and treats being recalled that is what I first saw.

I read it wrong at first too haha Laughing I was like "Whaa?!" lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-01-17
Location : Somewhere out in the sticks

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:44 pm

And I thought you thought there was no way to know if they really were "Labrador Huskies", in which case they would have to be at least part if not full Siberian Husky.

My Huskies have a lot of Siberian traits, including the extreme stubborness. I never implied that you could train that out of them, only that you could teach them to respond to you. And if your dog gets out and still listens to you, I think that is awesome.


I've said before and I'll say again, I am not suggesting that you let your Husky off leash, only that you make your BEST EFFORT to make sure they are reliable if an ACCIDENT happens. Which they have and they will happen again with many owners.

People shouldn't give up on teaching their Husky obedience because they are a stubborn breed, they should try harder because of that.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-12-26
Location : Alexandria, VA

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Hayden has a great recall, but by no means would I EVER allow him to be offleash anywhere that wasn't fenced in. Taking that sort of chance is not worth it to me. With him having excellent recall, I still believe given the right circumstance, he would totally ignore his training and do exactly what his instincts are telling him to do, RUN! I don't need to brag and try to be that one person who succeeded in making a Husky an offleash dog.

Nicky has absolutely no recall what so ever! I've been working with her for month's and she hasn't gotten the hang of it nearly as fast. That doesn't make me a bad dog owner, it just means she is a bit more challenging.

I wouldn't consider a single person here a bad dog owner, because their dog doesn't have a good recall. It can be extremely difficult to train a Husky on recall. I find it insulting that you would even imply that I shouldn't have a Husky, because of this or anyone else for that matter.





Last edited by Hayden_69 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 pm

You are preaching to the wrong choir. We are all responsible. That is why we don't agree with letting our huskies off leash. I'm pretty sure nobody here ever once said "ehh, we're husky owners, let's let em do what they want!". We just decide to put our dogs safety over letting them "be free".

I am trying very hard to play nice, but you coming on here and telling us the "right" and "wrong" way to raise our dogs and how to train them is really not cool. And "editing" your first post doesn't change what you posted at all. You meant every word you said, otherwise you wouldn't of posted it at all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-09-09
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 pm

I just don't understand how you can say people have given up on teaching their husky? Just because people don't let them wander up and down the street without a lead does not mean they are not working hard in the back yard. You can't make blanket statements like that without any proof. You can't accident proof a dog, just because they know recall doesn't mean squat when it comes down to it in an accident, or mid hunt. You can teach them to "respond to you" as much as you want, but there's no safe way to test your "theory" without putting your dog, yourself and the public at risk. People have different priorities, and having mine off lead is way, way down there.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 pm

@Dragonfly wrote:
And I thought you thought there was no way to know if they really were "Labrador Huskies", in which case they would have to be at least part if not full Siberian Husky.

It doesn't matter what I think - you are the one who says they are Labradors. I am addressing this as such. I also remember you stating that your dogs were very loyal and more like Shepherds than Siberians - hence why I asked.

Shepherds and Siberians are very different. Shepherds are very easy to train and for lack of a better term, can be velcro dogs. Siberians are exceedingly independent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-07-22
Location : Utah

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 pm

My hampster has perfect recall.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-12-26
Location : Alexandria, VA

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 pm

@Dragula64 wrote:
My hampster has perfect recall.

lol! that's great, because if you didn't teach him that you shouldn't own one!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-30
Location : Easton, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 pm

but really this thread is this

_________________




Last edited by Niraya on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-13
Location : Colorado Springs, CO

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Damn Chevelle has some mad skills training their hamster!
Back to top Go down
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-01-17
Location : Somewhere out in the sticks

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am

If you all say you are good and responsible owners then one post by me shouldn't make you feel bad. I'm not trying to force my way of thinking on anyone, and Kelsey sometimes people lash out when they're butt hurt, which I can admit I am a little. All of you from that 'other' thread will know why. I'm not going to apologize for having an opinion, and if I "meant everything I said" I would have left it EXACTLY as I meant it.

Megan B.
They are more like shepherds then a Siberian is like a shepherd, not more like a shepherd then they are like Siberian. They are very prone to run and wander and FAR more independent then my shepherd dogs. But all of my dogs have some similarities because I'M that one that trained them. They are also much bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and have a much stronger bite, so in that respect they are an even harder dog to keep and train.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

I have trained both of mine, but they are vastly different in personality.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2010-09-15
Location : Eau Claire, Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 am

Personally after seeing pictures of your dogs in your other thread, I honestly believe there is no lab in them, they look like every Husky/Shepherd I've ever seen. But that is all I will say on that..
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-13
Location : Colorado Springs, CO

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 am

Labrador huskies aren't lab mixes.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-30
Location : Easton, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 am

Jennet - the "Labrador Husky" is not named because of what the mix is...it's named for the location from which the dogs originated.

_________________


Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2010-09-15
Location : Eau Claire, Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 am

@Niraya wrote:
Jennet - the "Labrador Husky" is not named because of what the mix is...it's named for the location from which the dogs originated.

I know but in his other thread, he has no proof that they're actually that since he didn't buy the dogs as puppies, he rescued them. I really don't think they're pure Labrador Husky.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-09-24
Location : Niagara Falls, NY

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 am

I don't care how much recall training I do with Lucian, I'm never letting him off leash in an unfenced in area. Just like no matter how much training I do with him not to harm my cats, I will never leave them alone unattended. I consider this to responsible.

I did find your opening statement to be very rude. I barely did any training with my last dog Samantha. She was not a husky. But she listened better than any dog I have ever known. Her recall was excellent, and the thing is, I never did recall training with her. She could be in mid chase of a squirrel in my front yard where it's not fenced in, and the second I called her name she would stop dead in her tracks, turn around and come right back to me. But she did not have the independent mind set that huskies do. Yes Lucian prefers to spend his time laying near me, or waiting by the door for me to come home. But he's still no where near as loyal as Samantha was. Every single dog is different. They all have different personalities. I've called him in the yard, he'll look right at me, and think for a minute if he wants to come or not. If he doesn't feel it's worth listening, then he won't. Plain and simple. If he's looking at my cat, I can get his attention, if he's chasing her, forget it, he won't come back to me until the cat makes it upstairs where he is not allowed. Okay, the fun of the chase is over, now I'll listen to Mom. So I'm not taking any chances, and he'll stay on leash, and I've already made sure he can't slip out of his harness. I never walk him on just a collar. He usually has two leashes attached to him when we go for walks. Any dog can focus on something, and choose not to listen, so for their own safety and others, they should be on leash when outside of a fenced in area.
Back to top Go down
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-01-17
Location : Somewhere out in the sticks

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 am

Every dog has a different personality, that doesn't mean you can't train them all to do similar things. (Come, sit, lay down, stay, don't pee in the house, don't put your paws on the table.)

Honestly, I don't think you are all terrible dog owners, I really felt like something was to be said about making sure your dog, be it Husky, Retriever, Pitbull, or what have you, has proper training. That doesn't mean that I dub you all failures because you didn't train your dogs a certain way, my post was mostly meant to be food for thought.

For those of you that feel insulted, I'm sorry you feel that way.


Last edited by Dragonfly on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-30
Location : Easton, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 am

I don't think you can really make a post that's "food for thought" (especially when this topic has been pretty extensively covered because it's rather controversial) and say within the first 2 paragraphs "If you can't properly train reliable recall you shouldn't own the dog" (you since changed it but you *did* say that).

Personally - I don't care what anyone has to say about the way I train or have trained my dog(s) or what I do with my dog(s). I don't care if one person considers me the best dog owner or the worst because I do what is absolutely the best for -my- dog because I know her.

Bella doesn't have perfect recall and I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing. Will she come when called the majority of the time? Sure. Will she come when called while she's over her threshold? No. And no dog no matter the breed will do that - regardless of the amount of training you put into them.

_________________




Last edited by Niraya on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-13
Location : Colorado Springs, CO

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 am

"because you didn't properly train your dogs a certain way"... You really need to watch your phrasing.

You do what you do with your dogs and let others do as they want. No need to worry about what others do with their dogs as long as they are in a loving, caring, and safe environment.

I am a professional with a degree that is related to dog behavior and training and I would never make a post like this on the forum demeaning others and how they handle their dogs. And there are PLENTY of things I disagree with that members do, but that is not my place to tell them what to do and they are wrong. They didn't ask me. All owners have different expectations from their dogs. I really feel since you are not having an easy time communicating without bringing people down with their roles as owners that this topic should just die down.


And regardless of what you want to say, and that you can train a dog to respond in any situation, that just isn't true. Dogs have their own mind and the ability to question and go against your wishes. They are unpredictable. There is no way to train a dog to do something in every situation and make it fool proof to where there is no chance they will challenge you.


Last edited by Heather! on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 am

I think you haven't been here long enough to know how any of us train, or to say we don't properly train our dogs in a certain way. Many of us have been here for a very long time, and many others have spent a great deal of time training and gaining degrees in training. I don't think it is fair for you to pass judgement on an entire group of people when you just got here and haven't read enough threads to know what any of us do in training.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-01-17
Location : Somewhere out in the sticks

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 am

I never used the term "Perfect recall" anywhere in my posts. And you're right no one will consider harsh opinions like "if you don't do __ you shouldn't own a dog" as food for thought, which is why I edited the post.

If I thought you were all bad trainers and bad owners I never would have signed up, I'm here to be a part of the community. That doesn't mean I have to agree with all of you or that you have to agree with me.

If any part of the original post still comes off as judgmental or "self righteous" as one of you put it, I'd like to know what you'd like me to change. (apart from the hamster comment which I think you all can take with a grain of salt)


"because you didn't properly train your dogs a certain way".
Sheesh, that was a mistake on my part, I didn't mean it like that.
"because you didn't train your dogs a certain way." Is what I was trying to write, I'm not implying that how you train is improper.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2010-09-15
Location : Eau Claire, Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 am

Well if your dog doesn't have a perfect recall, why would you suggest people let their dogs off leash?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Recall   

Back to top Go down
 

Siberian Husky Recall

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Training-