It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? Empty
PostSubject: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Sorry I'm new here( within the week) and either I'm searching for the wrong thing using search or I skim too fast and don't see it. My pup is 6 months old. Reading on here and other places glucosamine is great for joints and hips but I can't find when would be a good age to start. I don't want to start too early but then I also want to make sure my little fluffy butt is getting all the things that will help him out later on in life. Also which in your opinion is better salmon oil or fish oil?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 pm

I really don't know when is the best time to start, but I started Mya on it at 4 years old (she's going to be 7 in March). She had started limping and when I took her to the vet he said to start her on Glucosamine after examining her. Kody is 2 1/2 and I've been debating on whether to start him on it as well.

I'm interested in peoples reponses.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Koda turns 5 this year and I will be starting him on a supplement after his birthday, though he has never displayed discomfort of any sort and has good hips.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm

I started Kale on it when he was a year, but he has a congenital defect in his left shoulder. Glucosamine is a nutritional supplement, there's no harm in giving it. Veterinarians usually want owners to wait till 5-8 years when arthritic changes could happen. I'd consult your vet and start asking questions Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Yeah depending on who I see at my vet is the big thing, Last time I was there the male vet (not too fond of him only seen him twice) was "you can give them to him but as long as he is on a good quality dog food he shouldn't need it" I'll email the lady vet (Loki loves her saw her for his shots and neutering) and see what see says. Sorry that I use male and lady vet I do know their names but don't want to anyone to think I'm blasting them or endorsing them, especially if they know them.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Always remember to express to reception which Dr you prefer, that way you will always see that Dr. Smile it's true that younger dogs, when on a healthy diet, may not need any joint support till they are a little older. So that dr was not in the wrong. It would be like giving a 4-5 year old human child glucosamine. It's perfectly safe though.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Since our last encounter I have been requesting to see the lady doctor. She just handles Loki better and doesn't make him nervous. She can take his temp and he not howl bloody murder. Plus she gets on the floor with him and plays for a little bit, I never seen a vet do that before. That is probably why Loki likes her so much. She took really good care of him for his neutering and called us Monday just to make sure he was doing well and his stitches looked good. I've never seen a vet take that much insterested in their patients, while other then my exotic vet for my chinchilla. He cares alot too. Growing up we had several dogs and never once did I see that kinda of care from a vet.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:20 pm

I start Blaze on it when he was a year he seems to have problem straightening his back legs. The vet suggest it to help with it. Kerian so far hasn't had any problems with her legs or joints.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:10 pm

We started Sierra at 7 and jack at 4 just cause we were all ready giving it to sierra. i think its only needed young if your pup has issues, start it at 4-5 just to prevent old age from coming on to fast. and again talk to your vet for doses.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

eander83 wrote:
Since our last encounter I have been requesting to see the lady doctor. She just handles Loki better and doesn't make him nervous. She can take his temp and he not howl bloody murder. Plus she gets on the floor with him and plays for a little bit, I never seen a vet do that before. That is probably why Loki likes her so much. She took really good care of him for his neutering and called us Monday just to make sure he was doing well and his stitches looked good. I've never seen a vet take that much insterested in their patients, while other then my exotic vet for my chinchilla. He cares alot too. Growing up we had several dogs and never once did I see that kinda of care from a vet.

There are two vets where we go as well and I always go with Dr. Gomara. Myas been going to him since we got her at 8 weeks and she's going to be 7 in March. He just loves the pups. He lets Kody lick him to death right in the face and has thrown himself on the floor to play with them all on separate occassions Smile Just yesterday at their vet visit he was hugging Kody while talking to us Smile It's not that I don't like the lady doctor (Dr. Garcia), but there's just something. I trust Dr. Gomara more Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

There is no right or wrong answer here when dealing with a healthy dog.

I personally started my healthy dogs (Dakota & Faith) on joint supplements containing glucosamine, chondroiton, and MSM when they turned 5 years of age.

Glory has joint problems (Patellar luxation) so she's been on joint supplements (glucosamine, chondroiton, MSM, and Ester-C) since we adopted her at 3 years of age.

PostSubject: Re: When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?   When is a good age to start giving glucosamine? Empty

Back to top Go down

When is a good age to start giving glucosamine?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-