It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

Male Join date : 2013-01-29

spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 pm

okay. thank you for all the help Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 am

I did Rogue exactly when she hit 5 months. Koda didn't get neutered until 7 months because my appointment with the humane society was set 2 months away- and let me just say if I could go back in time to have neutered him at 5 months and not have dealt with the craziness for the two extra months and had to of paid 3x what the HS charges, I would.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:03 am

I got Kale neutered at 5 months as well. No adverse side effects.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

Male Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 am

phewwe ok good imma do that then thnx Smile
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
I got my guy neutered at 4 month's old and he's about 70 lbs now and 26" tall. So, I don't think neutering young will stunt their growth. I waited to spay my female until she was 9 months old (after her first heat) and it was the worst mistake EVER! Trust me, do it before her first heat!
Why was it the worst mistake ever?

I'm thinking I'll wait until Anya is 12 months old to spay her, even longer if I can get the okay from my breeder to wait longer than my spay/neuter contract states. I've been doing a lot of research on early spaying and it seems like as long as I am willing to be diligent about keeping her confined from unleashed/stray unaltered males (extremely rare where I live--animal control will swipe them up in a nanosecond) during her heat that it will be best to at least let her go through puberty before I take her in to be spayed.

Here's the article that helped sway my decision: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/02/17/dangers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:51 pm

i will be letting rikku go through her first heat before fixing her also... i feel its essential to them to go through and get their hormones. all n all though there is pros and cons to both sides for long as you do your research then go with what you feel is right
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 6:41 pm

I have a 7mth old husky who has separation anxiety. He has recently started peeing on our couch. BUT up until maybe 1.5mths ago, he always squatted to pee. He started lifting his leg on poles and bushes when we're outside. Could his couch peeing be due to the "puberty" or just the separation anxiety? We were thinking of waiting to get him neutered...
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm

TheBadGuppy wrote:
I have a 7mth old husky who has separation anxiety.  He has recently started peeing on our couch.  BUT up until maybe 1.5mths ago, he always squatted to pee.  He started lifting his leg on poles and bushes when we're outside.  Could his couch peeing be due to the "puberty" or just the separation anxiety?  We were thinking of waiting to get him neutered...

That sounds like marking to me. An easy way to test this is when you walk him make sure he pees until he's empty then go back inside.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 am

Quote :
Why was it the worst mistake ever?

I'm going to assume because she had both a male and a female and the female being in heat caused a lot of stress. I got Karli spayed at 6 months old and don't regret it one bit. Her chances of getting mamory cancer are now reduced to almost zero and those tumors don't just go away with one surgery. Once the animal gets them, there is always a chance that they can come back and they are extremely expensive to have removed. For me, it was just a better option and Karli has been amazing.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 pm

eddycaaa wrote:

Here's the article that helped sway my decision: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/02/17/dangers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx

I always have a problem with articles that don't state what the research included. What was the size of the study group? How many were fixed/not?

I have to believe that a majority of the owners that do NOT sterilize their pets (other than reputable breeders) are those that are irresponsible and probably don't bother to have regular vet check-ups. Those that have their pets fixed would likely be more responsible and take their pets to the vet more regularly. If there are a larger amount of fixed pets being treated than intact pets I can assume the odds of them finding cancer or other ailments in a fixed pet are higher than finding it in an intact pet...

I don't really know for sure, but just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Me personally have a mal that was givin to me not fixed. When I first got her she went into heat right away. Hell.... O yes!!! Why? What happens when bitches go into heat?

1) Your going to be walking on your tippy toes to make sure you don't piss her off
2) They do not act like your normale sweet little girl...
3) They get into fights so much easier even if they have been raised around other dogs in the house
4) Yes, there aggression is higher
5) You HAVE to be responsible and not allow her to get prego
6) Forget about walking her, she sees another dog she wants it!
7) Blood is kinda bad.... Not like a human

My girl gets EXTREMELY aggressive in heat. Now, when she is not in heat. She is so freaking sweet. Kids use her as a pillow, she cuddles with me at night, she plays with other dogs great... She is an amazing dog IF she is not in heat.

I got my other female spayed at 7 months old. Actually 2 weeks ago. She is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with her, she is back to her normal self the NEXT day... I had to pin her in the other room to keep her from jumping on stuff... Yes, the next day. I just claim I have a physco husky...Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 6:40 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:

eddycaaa wrote:

I always have a problem with articles that don't state what the research included. What was the size of the study group? How many were fixed/not?  

The research is linked via the blue links in the article, which is kind of annoying, but the research is there. For example:

Quote :
A study conducted at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center on canine anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries concluded that spayed and neutered dogs had a significantly higher incidence of ACL rupture than their intact counterparts.

MOST people should have their dogs spayed or neutered around the 6 month mark. I am not most people though, I am a responsible and diligent dog owner with only one dog. I'm not saying I'll keep my dog intact forever, I just want to wait until she is a year old because I feel it is what is best for her. If she happens to go into heat one or twice before 12 months then I will have to deal with it and make sure she is kept away from other dogs for that 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Bringing up the spay thread just to chat about it. Journey's is scheduled in a couple weeks *eeek*. Does any other Hu-Mom or Dad get nervous about the whole ordeal? I had Shaqua spayed but I was in high school and I don't remember too much about it. Now I'm getting all anxious about letting her go spend the night at the vet. Sad *sigh*. I'm pathetic, I'm the one with the separation anxiety.... I had to go do some lab work last month and they were happy visiting my friend Shay, I was missing them every day. Sad
Back to top Go down
Nava_Ki
Newborn
Newborn
Nava_Ki

Female Join date : 2014-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 pm

I just had this conversation with my vet this morning and feel fortunate that she's not over bearing regarding when to spay. This is a very personal decision. I've always waited until my females turned 2 before having them spayed. My vet explained that the risk of mammary cancer will be slightly higher due to my decision to wait. I'm comfortable with my decision. I've had 6 female dogs over the past 20 years and none of them developed any type of female cancers.

Nava is my first Husky and I'm so excited to see where this journey takes me.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Diz got neutered on Jan 17, and yes, I was a total nervous wreck.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Hmm, I guess I would have to say no. I had Maya two months before she needed emergency surgery to remove her reproductive system due to pyometria that resulted in a ruptured womb. I was just glad she lived through the surgery.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 5:43 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Diz got neutered on Jan 17, and yes, I was a total nervous wreck.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that stressed out about it. It always scares me when my dogs have to be under anesthesia. I've heard that Siberians especially are susceptible to the anesthesia. Shaqua has a couple cysts (sebacious) and they said they could remove it but it would be mostly cosmetic. No reason to put her under anesthesia if I don't have to.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Here is an hour by hour documentation of my freak out...

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t12228-dizzy-s-neuter-day?highlight=dizzy
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 6:38 pm

We had Brandi spayed last Wednesday at 15 months old. She did great! The only thing I'm complaining about is the freakin cone! I can't wait to get rid of that thing, it's driving me nuts!! Next Wednesday can't come fast enough Smile
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Ha ha ha, yes, I imagine that is exactly what I will be like Jen. LOL! I still can't believe she's already old enough to get this done. Where did my little puppy go? BUT, I need to get it done. We go to the dog park a lot and while she is only 6 months and hasn't gone into heat yet I always see people bring a lot of un-neutered male dogs and they hump anything in sight. Ugh. I just don't understand the mentality of all these people who don't fix their dog, many of them mixes, because they "might" breed him some time.....*sigh*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !   spay - Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY ! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Regarding spay/neuter on a HUSKY !

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2