It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Nightmare Turned Bad

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

Nightmare Turned Bad Empty
PostSubject: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 am

So Vegeta was just napping under my chair like he always does when I'm at the computer, and started growling. At first I thought it was something else on the tv then I muted it and he was clearly growling. I can't be 100% sure if he was sleeping but I assumed he was since there wasn't anything to growl at. So I thought he was having a nightmare and growling at his nightmare, so I went to wake him. Gave him a light nudge and he went full on growl, bark, bite mode. It was scary. He really snapped at me. I hope it was just being startled form his dream but still I didn't like it. Crying or Very sad I don't want the poor guy to be having bad dreams or to be any kind of aggressive. Granted I'm not 100% you can even be aggressive at 8 weeks, but you know what I mean.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen? Where they would growl in their sleep?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 am

I bet it was being startled. The old saying, Let sleeping dogs lie. (-- English Proverb) fits in this situation. I don't wake my dogs up from naps by touching them, I just call their names out.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 am

Kennedy is my big dreamy sleeper. She runs in her sleep, barks in her sleep, cries in her sleep..you name it, she does it. I have NEVER waken her up by touching her. You actually aren't supposed to touch them. The end result, as you now know, is that they still think they are in dream mode and your hand or face can be the first thing they latch on to. They don't understand that they aren't dreaming anymore, so that incident was not his fault.

Like Kevin, I only wake Kennedy up by saying her name. Dogs will dream, you can't stop that. It isn't his fault he bit you and he didn't do it on purpose. He's not aggressive because he is growling in his sleep.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 am

Pippa growls and whines and woos and does lots of weird stuff in her sleep. I usually just whistle or call her name and she'll wake up. Smile
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 am

blu growls barks cry's "woo's" whimpers digs and runs in his sleep. however i learned early on not to wake him by touching him. since at night he useually falls asleep on the couch watching tv with me, and i needed to wake him to get him in the crate so i could go to bed... i got quite a few nips doing that, and the lesson was learned. also doesn't help that blu is extremely grumpy when he wakes up, and hates to be picked up. so my lesson learned from this... wake him by calling his name once or twice then get him in the crate via his favoriet toy... his beloved mr.raccoon (he's had that toy since 10 weeks old and still sleeps with it, plays with it and takes it everywhere... even to go potty lol)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:45 am

kevo wrote:
I bet it was being startled. The old saying, Let sleeping dogs lie. (-- English Proverb) fits in this situation. I don't wake my dogs up from naps by touching them, I just call their names out.

Ditto. I wouldn't be concerned at all. I also only wake mine by calling rather than touching.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 am

Kerian makes funny noises while sleeping kind of a cough. We start talking to her telling her is is okay to wake her up.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Yup - seconding what others have said on here, you should never wake a dog up by touch. If you need to get them up, then call out his name or make a noise and he should wake up without attempting to gnaw your hand off. Smile
Back to top Go down
clicklouj
Puppy
Puppy
clicklouj

Female Join date : 2015-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 3:32 am

I dug up this post (from two years ago) because I was searching for similar experiences here about their dogs having nightmares. Luna one time jolted awake with a squeal and I wanted to know this is okay. Once, when I absently touched her while she was napping, she also bolted upright very tensely. She has never growled or bitten anyone waking up, but I'm noting all the tips here on how to ease dogs awake Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Turned Bad   Nightmare Turned Bad Empty

Back to top Go down

Nightmare Turned Bad

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1