It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A friend for my husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
paula.mignogno
Newborn
Newborn
paula.mignogno

Female Join date : 2013-02-25

A friend for my husky Empty
PostSubject: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 am

Hi Group! I'm new here. I have a 1 year old Siberian Husky "Chewie" and 2 other dogs. The other two dogs are 10 years old and are doberman/chocolate lab mix. They are lazy and Chewie is not. Chewie played rough and excessively with my male dog Harley but my female dog Jetta bit her off. I thought it might be a good idea to bring another husky pup into the family so Chewie has a playmate her own temperament. The situation as of yesterday morning is somewhat different now that Harley died leaving Chewie without a willing playmate. Can anyone suggest opinions if adding another husky would help the situation or cause more problems. Thank You:)
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 am

I am one of those people who think that getting another dog as a "buddy" for another dog should be the last reason you add another member to the family, but that is just me.

Are you financially stable to add another husky? Are you going to rescue or add another puppy? Do you have enough time to train a new puppy and a little bit older puppy? Are you willing and able to provide exercise for the two huskies? If you get a young pup, they obviously can't exercise together, so are you willing to work around that? Do YOU want another one?

For me, you should think long and hard before adding a member to the pack. Especially with a senior dog who already doesn't like the one year old puppy..do you think she can handle adding a fresh pup to the pack? Would it be fair to her?

At the end of the day, you know your pack and your situation, but there are a lot more aspects to getting another family member then a pup needing a buddy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
paula.mignogno
Newborn
Newborn
paula.mignogno

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 am

Definitely quality questions and considerations. Maybe if I look at the question another way. Does a husky do better; ie...less destructive/bored, if there is another husky to play with. My concern is that Chewie played too hard with the older dog. Is it likely that providing her with a more suitable playmate keep her attention away from the older dog that's left. I do have a new pup picked out (my son is breeding them and has a new litter). I am accustomed to the new pup routine. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with anything similar to this. A puppy is the only way I'd go because we also have 5 cats and a pup would need to grow up with the cats.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 am

There are a lot of huskies in rescue that do just fine with cats. Snoopy had never seen a cat before we brought him home and he does just fine with them, although cat tested is always safer than just bringing one in. Also, just because a husky is raised with cats will by no means mean it will be cat friendly. Dogs can and do attack and kill cats they've been raised with from puppyhood. It's a risk of having them live together.

And another dog won't make the dog less destructive. We've never had an issue with destructiveness, whether it's with one or two dogs, but a coworker of mine has two that work together on destroying stuff. If you're having an issue with destructiveness, then you aren't addressing the energy needs your dog has now, two dogs can double it.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:49 am

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Harley.
I'd give it some time to see how things work out. Everyone else already asked really good questions, and made some excellent points. Perhaps, before you make the decision, try upping the exercise you give Chewie. Not walks, though walks are important, but real runs, playdates with other dogs of a similar energy level and play style, mental exercise, etc. Things that'll knock her out for a good couple hours.
Does your older dog have a safe place to escape? It might be worth having a place she knows she can go relax.
Is your current pup at a level of training you like? The new little girl/boy will learn from the older dogs, both good and bad habits.
As I see it, the situation could go two ways, it might help Chewie redirect her energy, or the two might just feed off eachother and go crazy. I don't know- I've always lived in a one-dog household.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:29 am

In some ways, I disagree with points made.

I have two siberians, but I only had one to start with and she needed more walks without Cato and was more anxious without Cato. Now, the two of them play frequently and she is never alone. I firmly believe it really truly can make a difference. That being said, I had the financial means to do it and I went to a very good breeder for my dog. I won't deny that one of the reasons I got Cato was so Delilah had a companion, because it was among the many reasons I got him.

Siberians are true pack dogs, and I do believe two siberians is better than one...if dogs are taken care of correctly and you can afford it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 am

mheath0429 wrote:
In some ways, I disagree with points made.

I have two siberians, but I only had one to start with and she needed more walks without Cato and was more anxious without Cato. Now, the two of them play frequently and she is never alone. I firmly believe it really truly can make a difference. That being said, I had the financial means to do it and I went to a very good breeder for my dog. I won't deny that one of the reasons I got Cato was so Delilah had a companion, because it was among the many reasons I got him.

Siberians are true pack dogs, and I do believe two siberians is better than one...if dogs are taken care of correctly and you can afford it.
You make a lot of sense Smile

To the OP- if it wasn't clear, I was just tossing around some ideas and questions, like I said, I've only been part of a one-dog household, so I don't know. I do actually want another, when the time is right. Very Happy You know your situation and dogs best.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 11:04 am

Definitely agree with Megan on this one. The only thing I would have to chime in with is that, when I was looking to add a second, I came across a lot of people noting that the first husky would digress to a varying extent on their manners.

Off the top of my head, I thought I had Stark at the right place with his training, but it took me a second thought to really see where he stood. A puppy can pick up many habits (good and bad) from an older dog. Just curious - have you taught Chewie the "leave-it" command? That could come in handy for when the older dog starts getting annoyed and I think it will definitely come in handy for when he full on wrestles the puppy. Smile

There's no harm in considering it, but please just make sure that Chewie is at a place where you are 125% confident with his training.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm

is this pup your getting from your son from parents that have been health tested?

New puppy will pick up habbits of chewie, will they be good ones?

Sorry for your loss of harley, I would be concerned for your older girl and if she will do well with a new pup.

Newborn
Newborn
paula.mignogno

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks everyone:) I appreciate all the advice. Seems like you're all stating the same thoughts that are going through my mind.

A little background... The new pup I'm considering is Chewie's brother, next litter. Same parents. Both her parents are docile (especially the mom) which was what enticed me to get Chewie. I had a husky as a kid but she didn't like to be inside so was chained outside all her life. After I got married and I was working all the time so we adopted her to a family with kids (she lived to be 22 years old!). Chewie is a wonderful Husky girl! I have the privilege of working in another house on my property so I'm able to walk her each day with the other dogs (um, dog). Her destructiveness is only stealing things within reach and taking them outside and ripping them up. She doesn't destroy furniture or anything like that. Stuffed animals are gonners. She has full run of the house and dog door to the fenced yard. She has been content to be in the yard without jumping the fence. A little digging. My intuition says she just wants someone to play with that wants to play. Harley would allow her to play so she didn't bother Jetta. Last night she just couldn't contain herself anymore and insisted on trying to play with Jetta and a fight broke out which I stopped immediately.

I'm torn because it could be that adding a husky would or would not help. I appreciate that it could go either way. I've met the puppy I'd like to get and he shows all the signs of having the same docile temperament as Chewie. He passes all the docile puppy tests and all health and AKC certificates are properly handled.

It's good to know that some of you have seen adding the second husky friend has been beneficial. I totally understand it might not. But, I can already see that the lack of playmate is a problem. I was hoping that some other husky families have had similar situations and how it worked out for them. I'm feeling good with the puppy choice and wouldn't consider just "another husky" from anywhere. I know the breed well. There's always that chance that a majority of you would say, "no way, I added a new dog for the same reason as you and the two of them worked together to worsen my original issues. They pack hunted the older dog and killed all my cats". I hope this helps clarify my situation. Thanks:)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 pm

By health tests, we mean are the dam and sire OFA/CERF certified? This is by important because huskies are prone to eye and hip problems.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A friend for my husky   A friend for my husky Empty

Back to top Go down

A friend for my husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1