It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What Color Is My Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Female Join date : 2013-03-01

What Color Is My Husky? Empty
PostSubject: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:07 am

I know Husky coat colors are many times a matter of opinion, or so it has been in my experience. So my question is, what color would you consider my Sibe? Smile

What Color Is My Husky? 4823c613What Color Is My Husky? 2012-013
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mette.c.smith
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:10 am

I would say copper. I could be completely wrong though.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:16 am

Kingsley is the same color and his breeder said he was a red. He's also registered as a red/white.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 am

Red and white.

There's the copper red (your pup) and the light red (like my female in my signature).

Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 am

I have always called her a copper, but I have never heard "copper" as a show/breed standard color. I just don't know. Red has always been lighter than Phoenix in my mind. Calling her a copper makes me feel kind of snobby, but calling her a red has gotten me dirty looks like I'm an idiot or something. Lol. For me there has always been the light red like Claudia's female, the copper red like my Phoenix, and then the red, which is basically the in between of the other two.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:30 am

Awww...I have a matching husky! Smile

I think as a breed standard, "red" is the true color with variations of red. Any husky with a liver-colored nose has the red gene and is considered red. However, of the shades of red, ours would be considered copper.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 am

Lisa, your Sibe is beautiful. Smile
Also, in the end I agree with you. l would personally prefer the different reds to have their own names to make it less confusing and more specific. But I also understand that can be difficult since many Husky puppies change colors as they age. Lol
Actually your Sibe is a perfect example of the difficulty of specific red names because your girl is a mix of copper and light red. Which would make one name difficult for her coat. Huskies can be so difficult and complicated. Even when they don't mean to be. Haha.

Last edited by Heart.Of.A.Wolf on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 am

I only say copper to Husky people lol, Zoey is a dilute red and white, but people call her brown Rolling Eyes haha
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 am

I have even had supposed Husky people call Phoenix brown. -_-
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 am

I call my girls, Sophie and Maya red. But if i'm being more specific, talking to husky people, or talking about colors i call them copper. Many people have called my girls brown but i just say they're red. Smile
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:04 am

I get these dirty looks from non-Husky people when I call her red because they picture the classic red Husky. l have had non-Husky and Husky people alike call her brown and give me looks that makes me feel like a snob because I call her copper. But all of you have made me feel better about calling her copper. Thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 am

Classic red husky? She looks like a classic red husky to me. I like the really vibrant crimson ones, so pretty!
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 am

What Color Is My Husky? Redy_b10
This is what a lot of non-Husky people think of when they think of a red Husky. Haha.
But I agree. I love the deep reds, the coppers are my favorites. Very Happy
I found this site and love their explanation of the different reds. Smile
Husky Colors
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 am

Oh yeah that's like a terra cotta red or something, lol. Look at Kaiser, he's gorgeous!
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t4953p20-introducingkaiser?highlight=Kaiser
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:25 am

Oh my! He is stunning! You think they would mind if I stole him? Wink
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:29 am

Heart.Of.A.Wolf wrote:
Oh my! He is stunning! You think they would mind if I stole him? Wink
Lol, i think there's a list of people wanting to steal him. Razz
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 am

Ha! I think you may be right.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:45 am

Copper is a variation of red- this dog looks to be a dark copper (or dark red) like the sire of my girls- also registered red/white

What Color Is My Husky? 544509_361481170586784_182846214_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 am

Heart.Of.A.Wolf wrote:

90% of people say our girl is brown too. Only a select few have actually called her a red. I've had a lot of people ask "is she a rare Husky? I thought Huskies were only black or grey and white". I just laugh and let them know Huskies come in a variety of colors Smile

I agree with everyone, she's a copper Smile

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:48 am

I would say she is a red/ copper alot like my boy. You phoenix looks alot darker than Blaze.
What Color Is My Husky? 402832056

My little girl Kerian is a Light red and white I would call her.

What Color Is My Husky? 402802509

Last edited by ljelgin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 10:06 am

For the lighter reds it would be considered light red, not dilute.

Dilute occurs a lot with our "blue" dogs (such as some pit bulls and weims) as well as can affect the whole coloring since it is a gene.

Aussies: http://www.ashgi.org/color/dilute_aussies.htm

Doberman:
What Color Is My Husky? 253786409_9c3ad4eccb

Even cats:
What Color Is My Husky? Dilute-calico

Husky coat colors lighten due to the amount of white present in the coat.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am

Hayden_69 wrote:
Heart.Of.A.Wolf wrote:

90% of people say our girl is brown too. Only a select few have actually called her a red. I've had a lot of people ask "is she a rare Husky? I thought Huskies were only black or grey and white". I just laugh and let them know Huskies come in a variety of colors Smile

I've had someone come up to me at the dog park and say "Isn't that a rare color? And you have two!"
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Thank you everyone! It is so great to hear other's call her copper. Smile
I think the reason it bothers me so much when people would call her brown is because those people also call her a boy. Even when I correct them they go on and on about how much of a boy she looks. But I digress. Thanks everyone for putting me at ease. Smile
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Hayden_69 wrote:
Heart.Of.A.Wolf wrote:

I've had someone come up to me at the dog park and say "Isn't that a rare color? And you have two!"

People do it to me all the time! And then when I say no they say "oh but the red with the blue eyes, that's rare. I know it is. Right?" What Color Is My Husky? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 12:07 pm

People always think Maya is a boy, guess she just looks manly to some. I wonder how crazy people would get if you had a red pie bald...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Color Is My Husky?   What Color Is My Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Color Is My Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next