It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

what to get, what to get?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

what to get, what to get? Empty
PostSubject: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:03 pm

So since there are about 1 short of a thousand options for harnesses I'd just like some opinions.

I am planning on getting the walky dog plus and I was just wondering what you all think would be the best compliment specifically for the walky dog.

Also how much room for growth does a custom fit harness have like alpine harnesses? I plan to start in about a month and a half when Zoe turns 1. I know that dogs usually grow to about 2. (usually horizontal growth though lol)

Price isn't really a factor, but I really don't want to have to buy another one for her so if custom fit won't grow a little with her I don't won't that.

Thanks in advance!!
Ps. if someone wants to try and convince me to do an out front setup instead of walky dog you can try I wouldn't mind hearing the advantages/disadvantages of walky vs. out front

Last edited by ZoeTheHusky on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sepll cehcking lol)
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Custom harnesses basically do not have any real wiggle room, what you measure is what they build for. What will be the purpose of this harness? Is it just for walks, there are plenty of adjustable pet harnesses available that are designed to control pulling whereas regular harnesses should encourage natural ability.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 pm

The purpose of this harness would be for biking with the walky dog.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog-dog-bike-leash.html
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:43 pm

I have bought the Walky Dog Plus for my Eskimo, hehe it should arrive soon! Anyway Cloud turns a year old in 9 days, so I wanted a harness that he could use for all sorts of things (pulling, jogging, etc) but still have some room to grow if he needed to, which I doubt he will as he's stayed the same weight for the past three months but just in case. I chose a Julius K9 harness as a lot of people seemed to recommend it, and he's at the lowest end of it, meaning if he does grow he has 13 pounds or 14 centimeters to grow into it as its adjustable. When he turns two I plan on getting him either the Urban Trail Harness from Alpine Outfitters or the Trail Harness from Indi Dog, but the Julius K9 should work for now! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:23 pm

I have the Springer bike attachment and I use a Ruffwear pulling harness for biking. Specifically, I use the Ruffwear harness that is part of the Omnijore set. It's designed very similar to an x-back, which I have also custom made, but unlike custom x-backs the Ruff wear harness is adjustable. I also like the bright red color of the RW Omnijore harness so that my sibe is more noticeable to people and traffic. Of course the Omnijore set also comes with a belt and towline for other joring activities that you might also do.

Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 pm

I like the ruffwrar one! Is there a way to get the noting harness without the whole set?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 pm

Not that I can see, unless you can find a used one that someone is willing to sell. There is also a different RW Webmaster harness, but I don't like the design as much as the one that comes with the Omnijore set.

Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Bummer guess I'll have to hit craigslist lol
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:37 pm

I found this one that is custom crafted but it is adjustable, so it should always fit her! Has anybody had any experience with the Urban trails harness?

http://alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=189
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Alpine's Urban Trail harnesses are great and will work perfectly for biking with the Walky Dog. I didn't know they had an adjustable option. I don't have one but I know people who do and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:46 pm

I had planned on getting the adjustable alpine but was weary of a long wait. However, I still plan on getting the custom fit trail harness once Cloud turns 1.5 and Yuki turns 2, using my Julius ones in the meantime Very Happy I do love their stuff.
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Yaaay lol .. will be ordering this very soon! Wait time isn't a problem since Zoe isn't 1 for another month and a half, so that works out. Can't wait until Zoe hits 1 year! We have so many trails to explore lol
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Ah its exciting isn't it! I just found my tape measure last weekend so I measured Cloud and ordered him a harness right away. He turns 1 next weekend Very Happy I got mine for the same reason for my Walky Dog and for a better fit when we go walking and now jogging.
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 2:05 pm

bounce wooooooo lol

I was so happy when I saw they had an adjustable one because alpine really does have nice stuff. My main concern with a harness was one that wouldn't pinch her or rub her raw.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Is it Possible to put two dogs on a Walky dog???
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 pm

kclee wrote:
I was wondering this myself, and my guess would be no as it only has one cord, but one idea I had was to maybe put two walky dogs on the bike, one on one side, one on the other. Although my dogs would have to be pretty well trained to be able to watch both of them like that xD
Back to top Go down
KCheshire
Puppy
Puppy
KCheshire

Female Join date : 2013-03-13

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm not sure about the Walky Dog, but I know that you can have two dogs on a springer. You do need two though, one on each side.

It seems to me that a Springer would be better for a husky than the walky dog. The spring helps negate pull, and if yours is like mine... there's a lot of pulling that could take me to the pavement. x_x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NMYDEGWIwA&feature=share&list=SP780786234F8CB292
https://youtu.be/zkeCNAv5T0Q
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm

I've just confirmed it with one of the newer members who has been biking their dogs on two walky dogs, just as the springer, you need two walky dogs.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:26 pm

The Walky Dog does have shock absorption and the cord is essentially bungee. It takes some practice, but once you get going, the dogs don't have a chance to stop and smell the roses. Smile
Back to top Go down
KCheshire
Puppy
Puppy
KCheshire

Female Join date : 2013-03-13

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Demon&Dakota - I see now! The spring is just inside the tube rather than being outside like the Springer. I guess which attachment you want to use is up to the owner. They look equally good to me.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:20 pm

kclee wrote:

You could always put your dogs on a coupler and then attach the walking dog to that ^-^
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:17 pm

I have that Alipine adjustable urban train harness and I really like it. I had extra d rings attached on the side to hook up to the Walky dog.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:00 pm

bellecma wrote:
I have that Alipine adjustable urban train harness and I really like it. I had extra d rings attached on the side to hook up to the Walky dog.

Haha the alpine is definitely on my list of harnesses to get simply for that side D-ring.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 pm

You actually can run 2 sibes on a single Springer attachment, you don't have to have 2 Springers to run 2 dogs simultaneously. I don't think you can do that with the Walky Dog. Both bike attachments have spring shock absorption but I think the Springer has considerably more and that's why I personally chose the Springer over the Walky Dog. The Springer has way more pull and flex when the dog starts off suddenly or veers or stops suddenly than the Walky Dog from what I have observed.

PostSubject: Re: what to get, what to get?   what to get, what to get? Empty

Back to top Go down

what to get, what to get?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: The Great Outdoors-