It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Running with the Dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

running - Running with the Dog Empty
PostSubject: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am

I know a lot of you go running with your dog or dogs, and I was wondering about those running belts. How does running while the dog is pulling change the way you run? I want to take Snoopy running with me after he's trained not to pull while running. He's a dream on a leash but once we start to run he gets excited and wants to GO. Anyway, I always thought that you weren't supposed to let them pull you because it was bad for you, but I guess I never actually checked. Can somebody clear this up for me?
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 am

i think it can put stress on your back. Im currently looking into buying a leash line that's got a built in shock absorber because even though we arent running yet, kiba can pull with the best of them. Obvioulsy that doesn't solve the root issue of pulling but it may be helpful. The ones we are looking at are the Ruffwear Roamer leash and Alpine Outfitters mushers belt with Joggers leash (has a shockline built in). Some mushers belts also come with leg loops which is supposed to help take strain off your back if your dog pulls. Smile Sorry im not much help about if they should or shouldn't pull you. I think unless you are doing canicross then pulling may be discouraged but i'm not terribly educated on it either.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I jog with both of mine and they definitly pull, but not as bad as you would think, they tend to match my pace once they get their initial *out of the gate* rush done. If he's good on a leash you should have a similar ability to control him while running. The weight that you have also sort of limits their pulling, if I could run as fast as they want then I'd end up flat on my face, but at my speed, they cant knock me over given the center of balance is where the leash is. It isnt as hard as all that. I found it much harder jogging with a leash in my hand than with it wrapped around my waist. If you get a shock absorbing leash you shouldnt feel too much strain or pulling.

I would say on a side note that it is recommended that you wait until they are at least 1 year old before doing any running with them. It has to do with their joints and development.

Hope this helped.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:13 pm

I run (or did. I am injured right now) with Bodhi.
He's in a harness with a 20 ft. lead.
I started just holding the lead, but have gone to a waist belt.
I agree with what Kelly said about the pulling.
It's bad at first, then he calms down and adjusts to my pace/.
All is good unless he sees Mr. Squirrel.
I find that the waist belt actually keeps me more upright.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 pm

I've got a SASS walking belt, it's got built in shock absorbers. I just started running Cloud on it, and although he doesn't pull that bad, it is a LOT easier to run on it than it would be with the leash in hand. I also second waiting until he's a year, Cloud is turning a year in 6 days and that's the only reason I'm starting to run him (short and slow spurts about 2 minutes at a time in our walk to get him used to it), I won't run Yuki until she's a year as shes only 7 and a half months.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 pm

I just got one from nordkyn. I usually just hold the lead. It is harder when I run trails because maggie will pull me up the hills and I almost tripped so I decided to get a belt. It is so much easier to run being hands free.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Erica how do you like it so far? Every time i think im ready to buy one i see another online and im not sure which one i want to buy. I was almost about to purchase the Apline Outfitters Mushers belt but these look very similar and are less expensive (by a small margin).
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm

I love mine. It takes a little bit getting used to having a dog running in front of you than by your side. I am not really a fan of alpine anymore. I don't like how long it takes for them to ship out. I recommend getting one from nordkyn if your looking for a good inexpensive one.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Agree with Maggie.
I got mine from Nordkyn.
It's the recreation harness with skijor attachment.
Quality goods, relatively inexpensive and fast service.
Here's the whole set-up.

running - Running with the Dog Dsc_2810

I have modified the purchased belt by changing two plastic buckles to perlon loops.
Also dumped the quick release for a locking carabiner.
Never had it release, but I worried about doing it inadvertently.
Then I switched out the line for tubular webbing.
The line burned my hands when Bodhi shot out to the end.
(Even with a waist belt, you will be handling the line.)
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:23 pm

yes im figuring that i'll buy a shockline with a handle like the one alpine sells if i can find one that fits my needs. Thank you very much for the input on Nordkyn. I have read a lot about Apline being slow but the products being fine. To be honest if the quality is similar then i look at the price and Nordkyn is lower (by a small amnt.) and would arrive faster. I appreciate the helpful reviews!!!!!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:17 pm

jalepeno wrote:
Agree with Maggie.
I got mine from Nordkyn.
It's the recreation harness with skijor attachment.
Quality goods, relatively inexpensive and fast service.
Here's the whole set-up.

running - Running with the Dog Dsc_2810

I have modified the purchased belt by changing two plastic buckles to perlon loops.
Also dumped the quick release for a locking carabiner.
Never had it release, but I worried about doing it inadvertently.
Then I switched out the line for tubular webbing.
The line burned my hands when Bodhi shot out to the end.
(Even with a waist belt, you will be handling the line.)

Im Erica Razz maggie is my dog. lol!
Anywho I switched to the recreation harness too. Maggie's body is too werid for x-back harness. I have the same belt as you. I however got my line from Adanac Sleds. I had a line from alpine but it snapped. I found Adanac Sleds's lines are thicker. Yes I know how you feel about lines burning your hands. When I am running or hiking, I prefer to have a horse lead or something like that cause it won't burn your hands while you are running/hiking.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:37 pm

You didn't have the joggers line w/ shockline from alpine did you? A few other members have said good things about it but if this is the line you have and it snapped then i don't even want to chance it. It looks perfect because it has the handle on it which i really need but ive had a leash and harness break before and i never want to experience it again. Sad
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm

I had this one. Sad
running - Running with the Dog SK010

It was so scary, I grabbed maggie's harness so fast.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Where did it break on the line?

I feel like it couldn't have just broken. It's one solid piece of rope, so I feel like it had to have worn down.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Didn't mean for that to sound rude Erica! Just curious. Don't want my girl getting away from me! Smile
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Oops, sorry Erica. I knew that too.
Your dog is named after the Rod Stewart song.

Your picture of the line shows the quick release I replaced.
Just didn't trust it.
I guess if I was skijoring and I went over a cliff, I'd want to release myself from the dog.
Otherwise, a secure connection is mucho important to me.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm

katiesham wrote:
Didn't mean for that to sound rude Erica! Just curious. Don't want my girl getting away from me! Smile

It's all good. I was in class. It might have been but I dunno. All I remember it snapped. I told maggie wait and she sat thank god!
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks guys, that was a lot more thorough than I expected Very Happy

I know it's generally better to wait until he's a year old, but I figured since I can't even run a 1/8 of a mile before I get to winded he'd be okay. I'm so out of shape lol
And I was only planning on running once or twice a week anyway, possibly alternating with Nunya so Snoopy would only run once or every other week.

You guys made the gear sound pretty cool, I might have to invest in some when I'm not poor lol!
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:17 am

I run with Sky and Carter almost everyday. I've been just using their normal leads. Just like everyone said before, after their out of the gate explosion, they match pace with me real well.

I need to have more control over them, as my run's take us past business entrances and I need to have immediate control if any idiot drivers make some bad desicions.

The best thing thats helped me is teaching them left, right, stop, slower, faster. Just basic directional commands so they have an idea of where I want to go.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 am

Control is a big issue with me as well which is why i was looking into some leashes that have a "traffic handle". I need that capability to pull her close if i see a car turning or even just to move over and let a faster runner/biker go by us.

Caitlin i know exactly what you mean about being poor lol. If i wasn't paying off stupid student loans id totally have purchased one of those really nice $60 canicross setups by now. But sadly, i'm scouring the internet for the cheapest one i can find that can still handle a husky :-p .
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 11:16 am

Money won't always be an issue, hopefully anyway, and over the years you tend to acquire multiple different set ups for different applications.

PostSubject: Re: Running with the Dog   running - Running with the Dog Empty

Back to top Go down

Running with the Dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1