It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Empty
PostSubject: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:42 am

So I just thought I'd ask you folks what breeds you think make up my Charlie boy. We adopted him from a shelter when he was about 5 months old. The county pound was going to put him to sleep due to having a "bad eye!" :O Luckily a shelter stepped in, had his eye removed, and put him up for adoption. We were the lucky ones to find him on Petfinder when we were looking for a companion to my then-only Sibe, River. Love at first sight. Smile

His listing was "husky mix" and I can.... sorta see why (tho I've noticed rescues aren't always that great at ID'ing breeds...)... at a younger age he looked a little husky-ish, but like someone stuck on collie ears, lol. But now that he's grown up, filled out, and grown his fur out, we're pretty sure he's got at least some rough collie in him. Especially because he has the herding dog personality... BALLS BALLS BALLS! He lives to play fetch. He does make some of the "noises" huskies make, and curls his tail in an arc when alert/excited.

Eventually I'd like to get one of those doggie DNA test kits, but I'm still on the fence on whether or not they work "well enough" to be worth the $$. Anyway... what mix do you think he is? Smile I'll post some photos starting with his first two photos from his Petfinder ad, til most recent!

breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Charlie_Petfinder
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Charlie_Petfinder2
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) HandsomeCharlie_oneeye
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) CharlieFoxFace
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) HandsomeCharlie
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) StretchyCharlie
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Caught
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Petclub3-1

Now most recent:
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) IMG_0127
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) IMG_1023
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) IMG_2037
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) IMG_2253
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) IMG_2229
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) IMG_4121
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) IMG_5195
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:21 am

You know, just throwing it out there but he reminds me of a corgi thrown on stilts.

I especialy see corgi in the running picture. Maybe a corgi mixed with one or two other taller breeds. I dunno. Lol

breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 am

Personally I think he has some Boarder Collie in there. The plumes, the feathers, and ears/face all look BC to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 am

LOL I don't see the corgi, but you never know! Border Collie was another breed on our possibilities list. But he'd have to be mixed with something else, because he's around 65ish lbs (last summer, haven't weighed him since then).

I've had some people claim golden retriever in there, too.

Thanks! I appreciate the opinions Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:29 am

Husky/Border Collie cross was my thought. Smile

breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Hailey10
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 am

I say either border collie/husky or even shetland mixed with the husky (imo the prancing pics).

Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 am

Your all crazy.

Obviously a Chinese Crested mixed with a Napoleon Mastiff.

People tell me I'm bad at this game but I have no idea what they are talking about.

~Chris~

Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:40 am

Chris you're totally right. Why didn't I see it before?! I feel so stupid! Wink
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

Tika wrote:
Your all crazy.

Obviously a Chinese Crested mixed with a Napoleon Mastiff.

People tell me I'm bad at this game but I have no idea what they are talking about.

~Chris~

lol!

I see BC and Husky maybe Assie.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 pm

I see collie and husky with some golden thrown in there. Smile
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 pm

I see Border collie and husky, but we could all be wrong lol
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 pm

It's okay, I love all the guesses! If I ever do get a DNA test kit I'll let you know the results Wink I'd guess BC more if he wasn't as large as he is... BC's are always smaller/lighter dogs... but he IS a mix so who knows. I used to have an Aussie/BC cross and he is very similar to him in personality/energy!

Love it!
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Well he could come from larger huskies also. Everyone comments on how my dogs are supposed to be +100 pounds because that's the norm here haha
Back to top Go down
kelly.hynum
Puppy
Puppy
kelly.hynum

Female Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm just gonna throw my opinion out there, but he looks like a husky/retriever mix to me. My last baby was a border collie/husky mix and I don't know, I just don't see her when I look at your baby. I see a husky and I see a retriever. Just my opinion!
Back to top Go down
kelly.hynum
Puppy
Puppy
kelly.hynum

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 pm

http://dogsofsf.com/archives/2295

The dog in this link needs a good brushing, but this one looks like your Charlie to me!

Here's the pic so you don't have to go to the link if you don't want to.

breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Pictur10

Last edited by kelly.hynum on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 pm

My friend's BC Sen-
breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) 64538_512870388732331_1873504033_nbreed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) 577261_10151351231161547_110428181_n

probably why I see BC-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Oh wow! That poor guy! He does look like Charlie though! Crazy!

One reason we leaned rough collie was because we went to the Fiesta Cluster dog show one year, and we saw the back of a dog and my mom and I both stopped, looked at each other, and said "It's Charlie!" LOL it was a rough collie. But maybe GR or BC.... he has a herding breed personality, very focused on balls like a BC can be.

Maybe husky/collie-of-some-type/golden should be his official mix for now!
Back to top Go down
kelly.hynum
Puppy
Puppy
kelly.hynum

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Oh, a rough collie. That's the collie we always refer to as a "lassie dog".
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 am

I would certainly say there is some "collie-ish" breed dominating his physical traits. I think Rough Collie mix is appropriate. The running pic most recent reminds me of a friends Rough Collie she was titling in OB.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:24 am

I see golden retriever and husky as well. Our black and white husky will play fetch for hours, so I don't think that's necessarily a herding trait.

No matter what he is, I'm glad you opened your home to this handsome fella.
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks again everyone! It's nice to hear from other knowledgeable people, we go to the dog park and sometimes I get some weird ones. "Is that a German Shepherd?" .....
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

Female Join date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri May 17, 2013 11:21 am

I don't know what breed your Charlie is but he looks Border Collie to me. I just had to say, he is beautiful!! I'm kindof in love with him lol. You are so lucky to be able to rescue him, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to put down such a pretty dog. I'm a little jealous if you can't tell. Razz
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri May 17, 2013 11:27 am

I got his DNA results back and they're a bit screwy, but I think it's just because he has a lot of mixes in his line. Basically one parent is a husky mix, the other is a mix of mixes. Their algorithm kicked back German Shepherd, Corgi, and Bloodhound... basically one parent was a herding breed/hound mix, lol.

So I will continue calling him my husky mix Smile

Thanks for the kind words! He's a great dog!
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri May 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Lol those dna test arent very reliable they don't have enough dna markers yet if I sent in my pitbulls dna it would come back a variety of mixes because they dont have a pitbull marker yet. I've seen purebred dna come back a variety of mixes...I'd say husky/collie/golden mix
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) EmptyFri May 17, 2013 2:40 pm

They're actually a lot better than they used to be. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)   breed - Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :)  (pic heavy) Empty

Back to top Go down

Name his breed? DNA test kit? etc :) (pic heavy)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next