It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anyone had experince with this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Two years ago I bought a puppy from a local family nearby. In doing research on the parents, I found out both were bought from Galena Creek Kennels in Roseburg, OR. I was happy to know Galena does hip/eye testing, offers a 5-year guarantee, sells to many racing teams, is entered in many AKC events, and on the surface, seems to be an EXCELLENT breeder. We’ve now had Skyy for 1 ½ years and she is a gem! Therefore, in looking for another Siberian, I didn’t hesitate to contact Galena Creek directly. The breeder was very informative…excellent communication. Answered every question perfectly. Her dogs seem to be everywhere and her FB site sings of nothing but praise. He’s the rub…ever since I put down a deposit it’s been tough getting information out of her. She promised weekly updates. That has not happened. The first litter we expected to hear about, we didn’t get an update on until well after the fact because of a “power outage.” Now I haven’t seen pics of the current litter of pups for 2 weeks. So I called her and I guess there was some kind of problem with a different litter. I did express my concern and understanding, but also wanted to follow up on a question I asked a month ago…what pick I was. Which is also weird because before I gave her the deposit she said there were two picks before me but both were for females, and that I was first pick male. So now why the confusion? I’ve asked for airline information and she said we still had time and she’d look at that later when she wasn’t so busy. I’ve tried to be overly polite and understanding but I get the feeling she’s brushing me off. Of course I don’t expect to “own” her time just because I’m buying a puppy from her but as a paying customer I am entitled to the updates she promised and timely responses to relevant questions. However, I was SURE this was a reputable breeder and think I might be overreacting just because we’re so excited to get our new puppy. Anyone have a perspective on this…advice…experience with this breeder? Thanks for your time!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

I don't have experience with this breeder, but I know other people on the site do, so hopefully they will chime in. From what I remember (I could be off) I've pretty much heard good things. I know you mentioned you called once, but has that been your primary form of communication? When I was in the search for a breeder, I found calling to be the best form of communication. Many breeders were VERY slow to respond by email. I can see where your frustration is though...

Something that worries me is that the dog you have now was out of Galena Creek lines, but from a backyard breeder. Is Galena Creek aware that their dogs are being bred? Usually a breeder like that sells with a spay/neuter contract and is pretty protective of their lines. Did you tell the person you talked to about where you got your current dog? Maybe that concerned them? Just speculating here though...
Back to top Go down
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Yes, Galena Creek was aware that this person was breeding...in fact GC sold him both parents under a breeder contract. GC also sent me pictures of Skyy's parents and grand-parents and offered me insight into where her sense of humor comes from. I also told GC this well before I put down the deposit, offered up personal and vet references, sent her pics of where I excercise Skyy, etc. so if she did have an issue, there was plenty of opportunity to say so and definatly not accept my deposit. I communicated with her multiple times over the phone and via email and she was extremely friendly and responsive. I certainly understand that "stuff happens" and life gets crazy and hectic and I've always made it a point to thank her for her time. And hey, this might just be a bad time for her...I don't know. I just got a sour taste after our last conversation. I would never want to give someone a bad name or reputation they don't deserve, hence why I'm asking for other's persectives here.

On a side note, the only reason I did buy Skyy from who I did is because I knew where she came from and the pedigree she came from. The most important thing was not her eye color or markings but her health. I actually would have adopted but we also have a cat and two parrots and needed to raise a puppy with them so as not to turn my current menagerie into dinner. Laughing I feel I have to explain this so no one gets the wrong idea.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm

both of my girls are Galena Creek- I'm going to PM you-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Last edited by mheath0429 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Megan, thanks so much. A little birdie told me that you are a great resource and I will certainly holler at ya if I need a "plan B." Everyone has been extremely helpful and I'm glad I found this site. I'm sure you'll see more of me and let you know how things turn out.
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Best of luck! We're waiting for our baby too, and haven't heard much from our breeder either. I was starting to get worried but it really is that many times they run into stuff happening.

I don't know if that is the same for your case, but that's just my own experience that I'm currently going through too! Very Happy

Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 pm

I just wanted to post a follow up to anyone who may come across this blog while seeking references for Galena Creek Kennels:

After input from various people (breeders, handlers and clients who simply went to GC for a “pet”), in addition to finally speaking with this breeder directly, I did honor my deposit with her and our communication vastly improved after we spoke. My family and I welcomed our new pup to our home on April 12th. He flew from Eugene, OR to Orlando, FL safe and sound. My vet has checked him over and he is a very healthy and happy pup. He’s transitioning nicely to my preferred brand of dog food and after 10 days has not showed any signs of stress, sneezing, “digestive issues,” etc. All his paperwork was mailed in a timely manner and was all in order. In addition, he came to us knowing how to sit, come, and walk on a leash. We are also astonished that he is virtually housebroken, immediately made eye contact with us, and has thus far been given the foundation that we are finding him relatively easy to train (yes, he is a Sibe and easy to train..can you believe it???...hey, look at that flying pig…LOL!). I can say that between him heeling on a leash and knowing the outside is for potty, it has probably added years to my life, and to me that is priceless.

Therefore, I have to say that I would recommend GC to anyone who asked. Do note that our new pup was NOT bought for show or breeding. He is a member of our family and therefore I cannot tell you if his coat is ¼ in. too long or his ears are not set at the perfect angle. I do know he is healthy, that my 2-year old female whose parents came from GC is healthy, and that those parents are still healthy. The breeder is nice and polite, full of helpful information, and has a pretty darn good sense of humor to boot. When time elapsed between communications, she called as soon as she could with an explanation, apology and follow-up. At the time of this posting, the breeder is in good standing with the AKC and is a Breeder of Merit. From my experience, the kennel is clean, the dogs have wonderful space, and they behave like happy and spoiled Sibes should. I would not hesitate to seek her out again if we ever wanted to add another to our pack.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Best of luck with the new pup!

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
showcase
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: GC is a fantastic breeder. Purchased a puppy from her a year ago and have been very pleased. Communication was great and she sent me pictures every week. Planning on buying another puppy in the near future.   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 4:27 am

michbobcat wrote:
Two years ago I bought a puppy from a local family nearby.  In doing research on the parents, I found out both were bought from Galena Creek Kennels in Roseburg, OR.  I was happy to know Galena does hip/eye testing, offers a 5-year guarantee, sells to many racing teams, is entered in many AKC events, and on the surface, seems to be an EXCELLENT breeder.  We’ve now had Skyy for 1 ½ years and she is a gem!  Therefore, in looking for another Siberian, I didn’t hesitate to contact Galena Creek directly.  The breeder was very informative…excellent communication.  Answered every question perfectly.  Her dogs seem to be everywhere and her FB site sings of nothing but praise.  He’s the rub…ever since I put down a deposit it’s been tough getting information out of her.  She promised weekly updates.  That has not happened.  The first litter we expected to hear about, we didn’t get an update on until well after the fact because of a “power outage.”  Now I haven’t seen pics of the current litter of pups for 2 weeks.  So I called her and I guess there was some kind of problem with a different litter.  I did express my concern and understanding, but also wanted to follow up on a question I asked a month ago…what pick I was.  Which is also weird because before I gave her the deposit she said there were two picks before me but both were for females, and that I was first pick male.  So now why the confusion?  I’ve asked for airline information and she said we still had time and she’d look at that later when she wasn’t so busy.  I’ve tried to be overly polite and understanding but I get the feeling she’s brushing me off.  Of course I don’t expect to “own” her time just because I’m buying a puppy from her but as a paying customer I am entitled to the updates she promised and timely responses to relevant questions.  However, I was SURE this was a reputable breeder and think I might be overreacting just because we’re so excited to get our new puppy.  Anyone have a perspective on this…advice…experience with this breeder?  Thanks for your time!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Last edited by mheath0429 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Accidental good vote. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 pm

I have it on good authority that the AKC is seriously investigating multiple issues with this kennel.

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 11:57 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
show case, what are you trying to say?

In the subject bar of showcase's post it says:

Quote :
GC is a fantastic breeder. Purchased a puppy from her a year ago and have been very pleased. Communication was great and she sent me pictures every week. Planning on buying another puppy in the near future.  

I guess that's what he/she was trying to say, although I probably shouldn't be speaking for him/her or putting words in his/her mouth so I'll bow out now. :s
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 am

I don't think Showcase is a "random" user who just so happened to stumble upon our forum and give their own personal opinion of GC. Just saying.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 am

arooroomom wrote:
I don't think Showcase is a "random" user who just so happened to stumble upon our forum and give their own personal opinion of GC. Just saying.

I'd bet you are right. Smile
Back to top Go down
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Wow, I can't believe this blog is still causing so much turmoil. So I shall leave further follow up:

BOTH of my GC Sibes are still doing great. Bear (the new pup we just got in April) is going through his "awkward" teenage stage and trying to grow into his ears. But our vet says he's very healthy and growing the way he should.

Here are some facts anyone can figure out with a little leg-work:

1) As of today, GC is still a Breeder of Merit in good standing with the AKC and still listed on their website.

2) Per the AKC website:
Who is eligible to list a litter on the AKC Web site?

Breeders who:
1) Are in good standing with the AKC.
2) Have a currently registered AKC litter.

The service may be used by breeders with recently whelped litters who are in good standing with AKC. A listing will only be posted after AKC records verify the breeder’s standing. No litter lot sales are permitted. The AKC will remove any listings placed by breeders who become subject to investigation or suspension while listings are active.

For more information here is a link to that page: http://www.akc.org/classified/support/obc_faq.cfm

3) The breeder has been there for me and my questions even after our puppy arrived and I still correspond with her regularly about doggie topics (training, diet, toys, etc)

4) The negative things I have heard have been spoken by her "competition"

5) I have seen numerous GC dogs first-hand from pup to mature adult, and they are healthy and happy

6) For every negative thing I've heard (which is only from a few), I have heard the opposite for several more

I hope no one takes offense or thinks I'm insinuating anything. And both from the people I've spoken with on this site and what I spoke to the breeder about, NEITHER party influenced my decision as much as what I knew for sure. So no offense...maybe everyone has the best intentions. Maybe the accusations above are true. I'm just reiterating my experience and that none of the information I found supported it.

I updated my pic with "thing 1 and thing 2" as we call them. They're our special little doggies. Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm

I am not GC competition- nor will I ever be, I am just someone who purchased two pups that did not turn out as hoped and no resolution to that issue will ever be brought up. The negative comments may seem 'few' for the pet owners since most pet owners do not do much research when looking for the next cute puppy for their family. Often people aren't aware of the situation and are happy with their pets and that's all that matters to them. I know I am guilty of such things when I purchased my first two Siberians. But I'm sorry ignorance is no reason to continue to support the practices I have first handed seen.  

Yes as of right now GC is all the things mentioned, a breeder of Merit, a nice old lady that has years of knowledge, that does health test their dogs. Once the investigation is concluded and the decision has been handed down more information may become available.

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Last edited by mheath0429 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 3:48 pm

When another breeder offers to sell me their puppies instead, they are now competing for my money...my business. That's competition. I chose that word. No one was filling my ears with excuses.

I'm also not "blind" and might be surprising that some of us lowly "pet" owners actually know how to form a complete sentence and we might even go to more than one, two or even three sources for our information. I gave consideration to your opinion as much as I gave to anyone elses...I just made decisions based on what I found that backed up those opinions. Not saying you might not be telling the truth, but frankly, it is hearsay. If it's not true, it's slander. If it is true, then you will have done something to stop it. I would hope anyone would do the same for you. Karma doesn't miss anyone.

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:00 pm

There really is no need to take this personally at all. This really isn't so much about you as it is the bigger picture. That's all I am saying. I feel that people need to be aware there is a situation brewing and I don't want to see anyone end up in heartache over it. I myself have been caught up by hasty decisions in my life when it comes to my dogs. I wish someone would have been there to warn me with some of the decisions I have made. Now if I would have heeded these warnings is another story entirely.

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm

WOAH. No one said you were lowly - I'm a pet owner.
Back to top Go down
michbobcat
Newborn
Newborn
michbobcat

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:42 pm

I did start out trying to be polite, unbiased, non-judgmental...and a little humorous to boot. I'm just getting bashed because I didn't listen to one gal I don't know from Adam.

And Megan, this is not about you, k? It was just a response to a comment about pet owners turning a blind eye. As my husband from Jamaica says, "no worries, mon!"

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Last edited by mheath0429 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm not upset with you at all, and it's not about you Michelle and no one is bashing you.  Again I wish you and your pets nothing more than the best health and many years together.   But this is no longer a kennel i feel i would recommend and for the price there are far better quality dogs out there for the same or less than you'd spend here.  That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had experince with this breeder?   Breeder - Anyone had experince with this breeder? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone had experince with this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next