It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Blowing Coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Female Join date : 2013-03-01

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 pm

May seem like a strange question, but could I see people's pictures of their Huskies blowing coat?

It's weird, I know. I'm just trying to figure out if my girls are normal.
Mady has about three or four blow outs a year. Kumari has one or two a year. Phoenix has never blown her coat.
I have wondered lately if it had something to do with their grooming as they grew up. Like Mady was never really bathed ever and not really brushed regularly either. Now she blows about 3-4 times a year and sheds quite a bit in between. Kumari was groomed more regularly by her past owner and myself, she blows 1-2 times a year and sheds moderately in between. Phoenix has been groomed every other week since she was a puppy and now she has never blown coat and sheds quite a bit less than the other two.
Since this past November I have started grooming each of them only once a month to keep up with the hair and make them all smell good. Smile

What do you guys think? They all as weird as I think? Have pictures for me? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mette.c.smith
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:45 pm

The picture's blurry but you get the idea lol! This was about 30-40 minutes of brushing.

Husky Blowing Coat 03510
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Kay blowing hers.

Husky Blowing Coat 480548_461653930571822_1817729108_n

I don't really have many of Maya and Sophie's but they don't shed much.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:05 pm

When I groom my girls I take them to work and use the blower and literally blow their coats out. Haha.
This is Mady's back in January 2012. Abby next to it to give you guys an idea of the size. Haha
Husky Blowing Coat 37851114

How often do your Huskies blow out?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 pm

About twice a year for Sophie and Maya. Idk for Kay, haven't had her that long.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Hm. Okay. I've always guessed Kumari was the normal one. Think it's odd that Mady blows about 3-4 times? Or that Phoenix never has?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Some blow year round i think and some blow more then others. So i don't think it's too weird.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Not even Phoenix with her lack of coat blowing? Haha. Thanks though. Makes me feel better about my weird dogs.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Lol, she just may take longer to blow it. Or it could be her coat type. How old is she again?
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:28 pm

She'll be 3 in May. Smile Her coat is strange. She has like no top coat, basically she is all undercoat.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Hmm, it's probably her coat type. Sounds a lot like Sophie and Sophie doesn't really blow her coat. She does it's just not a lot and she doesn't have the tufts like Maya and Kay do. Maya has occasional tufts but she takes her time blowing her coat. Kay just explodes.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Maybe it's the black fur because Mady explodes too. Haha.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 pm

LOL! Maybe that's it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm

I've gotten about 6 brushing's with this amount of fur so far this year. Keeping my fingers crossed this is the last one! I literally just finished and I'm covered in Husky.

Husky Blowing Coat 562130_231728333638689_1594538839_n
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Is it just me or is Husky fur super static-y? Lol
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Oh yes. Super staticky. I don't even know where it comes from sometimes, lol. Both of our fellas are starting their coat blow now...I hope my vacuum can survive through TWO this year, since we just had Kane last spring. I read somewhere that you can send it off and have it woven into yarn to make stuff out of. Bet it would be warm!
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 pm

My aunt in Texas has offered to spin it for me. Just don't know if that isn't a little weird. Lol
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 pm

My girl sheds constantly and we have neverending tumbleweeds blowing across our floors, but she really blows twice a year. The tufts are just beginning again now as spring approaches. Wish I had some pictures like you guys, but she eats the hair Husky Blowing Coat 1625187496
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Yeah, we've got the little hair tufts/tumbleweeds too. Kane doesn't shed a hair mid spring and fall-winter. He had a coat blow early spring last year and one in late summer. Halligan has been shedding since we got him in January, but some of it is probably stress of a new home and situation, as well as new food. Food made a HUGE difference in Kane's shedding. We tried to switch to something cheaper (Purina ONE) and it threw him into a near-coat blow. It was awful.
Back to top Go down
Mishka&Me
Puppy
Puppy
Mishka&Me

Male Join date : 2013-04-02

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:15 pm

guys what brushes do you use ?
Is this one any good for huskies ?
Husky Blowing Coat Semttulobzg
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I use several different brushes. That looks like a slicker brush, which is good for picking up loose hair from the outer coat. I use an undercoat rake primarily, because that's what is shedding during a coat blow. They lose very few guard hairs, generally. After I use the undercoat rake, I'll use the slicker brush to get some of the hair out of their outer coat, so there's less for them to lose inside the house. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm

What's your technique for the rake? Is it smooth strokes from head to tail, or is it more choppy, as in pulling rather than brushing? I've never used one before and we just got ours for Link, even though he's too young to blow his coat we just wanted to prepare and get him used to it.

I got some good advice from a highly experienced member to get a slicker, a rake, and a pin brush....although the highest value tool is apparently a high velocity blow dryer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 pm

When do they typically start to blow their coats? Loki is 9 months and still hasn't started yet.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 3:26 pm

It seems to vary. I heard somewhere they skip a season in year 1. So if your pup is born in winter, she'll skip the spring/summer blow and get the fall/winter blow. Seems to make sense but not sure how accurate that is. The common answer is, it varies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 3:34 pm

I've found this to actually be pretty good as well; gets the undercoat, but doesn't seem to pull as much as the rake can. http://www.amazon.com/KONG-ZoomGroom-Grooming-Brush-Raspberry/dp/B0002AR1A0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Blowing Coat   Husky Blowing Coat Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Blowing Coat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next