It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. Empty
PostSubject: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 pm

We had a harrowing experience today.

I took the two girls in for their yearly vet visit, and we opened the back of my Element and POP, out jumped Timber. At first I thought, oh great, now she'll dangle out the back and choke herself. Also in that 2 seconds I wondered why the strap got so long, because I keep them short enough that I can open the back of the car and they CAN'T jump out and hang themselves...

But she never stopped. She popped right out and kept going. Into the parking lot. Near a busy street. After much freaking out and yelling and screaming (how come staying calm/running the other way/sitting down to get them to come back never crosses your mind in a crisis situation?!) we got her back, but we were shaking like leaves all morning. Our biggest fear almost happened... first time EVER in my 4+ years of husky ownership... Anyway.

So apparently the seat belt hook slipped off the harness hook and she got free without us realizing it. So needless to say I will be throwing THOSE away. I can't find a reference to them online, but I remember getting them from the Humane Society and I picked them because they had some good crash test rating or something. It's been a few years. But the clip isn't a carabiner or anything so maybe that's the first mistake.

Any recommendations? I'd prefer the ones that hook to their current harnesses (like a tether), rather than buying a whole new harness for the car, but I'd like to look at all options at this point. Something really really secure, obviously Shocked
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Do you have anchors in the E? Or is it a seat belt clip with a tether attached?

I've used the kurgo ones before, they're nice. Ezydog probably has my favorite since its just a loop you put the seat belt through and buckle it. I feel like we have a thread on this..

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 pm

I did a search and found one old one, but I thought I'd ask just in case!

Yes there are anchors, no seats, I took them out of the back. Smile

Sorry, I meant to also say, thanks! I'll look into those two brands and see what they have that'll work!
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 10:45 am

If anyone's interested, I found the one that failed us:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hunting-and-Fishing/PetBuckle/PBF13560.html?feed=npn&gclid=CNvnwu37krYCFYKDQgodMgoAlg

If it had a carabiner clip it'd be perfect, but with that clip type it has, it slipped off her harness.

I might just get this:

http://www.properpet.com/replacement-tether-for-auto-harness.html

And use it with my own harness...
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Wow that is scary! Glad you cought her!

When Hayden was a puppy he jumped out the window of my moving car (thankfully I had his leash around my wrist and he wasn't hurt). Nicky figured out how to roll the windows down and I get so freaked out by that now I just keep all my windows locked.

I haven't tried the seatbelt route yet, but highly considering it!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm an E owner with just one seet in. Do a search for zipline on here or just element my system should show up... on my phone on the treadmill right now. So I went to HD got some caple line to large cabiners to hook over the oh shit bars in the back and made a line across the back I then hooked 2 cabiners to the line to hook the handles of the leash to. I use their RW harness on them in the car for saftey. I'm working on getting the new RW leashes that adjust so they can't jump up front. I have not lost them yet. Hope that helps!

Found the post!
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t3577-new-zip-line-for-the-element?highlight=element+zipline

Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your set-up! I tried doing something similar in the past, but they just got so tangled up it was a mess :/ Hooking each dog down to an anchor and keeping their tether short so they don't get tangled seems to be the best. I usually only have 2 dogs in the car at a time, so this usually works. More than that and it's just not worth the frustration, lol.
Back to top Go down
5woofs
Puppy
Puppy
5woofs

PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Oh and so glad Hayden was okay! THAT is scary! My mom has a chihuahua and she'll lower the window for him, and I worry that he's going to just bounce right out. He never has. But it makes me nervous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.   Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today. Empty

Back to top Go down

Seat belts/restraints/harnesses/etc AKA I almost had a heart attack today.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1