It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 am

Well I dont know if there ever was anything in her! I'm like you Koda i am livid and voiced my oppinion about the surgery but "exploratory surgery" was the next diagnosis step to finding out why she was vomiting and had diahrea! so we are trying to work something out. I am going to make monthly payments to the vet. Its ok. I have coped with it now. But i am so glad she is doing good! she is ready to come out of her crate for sure and so is our other dog and lil girl! But she is safe in there while healing!!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 8:48 pm

I've not been on here for quite awhile. Sorry you and Sniper went through all of this, but am glad she seems to be doing ok now. As you know, we went through this with Isis TWICE! While the bills were more than we planned on spending, they weren't God-awful. I have to wonder how the costs vary from state to state, city to city....Maybe that's a topic for another thread? General costs of vet care, medications, boarding & such just to see what we are all paying?

Anyway, hope she continues her recovery. Hope the home transition goes well, too!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:29 pm

So, any news to report? Been thinking about ya...
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Maybe the 3rd time is a charm!! And we really love our sled dog!!! She had the same symptoms last week!!! so we done xrays and there it was another foreign body!!! WOW! so she had surgery sunday and recovery this time was cut in half since they didnt have to cut open her tummy or intestines....the were able to work it out....which is great! she is healing well....staying in her crate and sedated...but we have decided since we done the surgery she will be re-locating to outside :-( which breaks my heart!!! I love her but i think its in teh best for her LIFE! if she cant learn to not eat anything then she needs to be outside where she can be free from objects!! So...surgery numero 3!!! wanna count them dollars now LOL :-) we love her though and couldnt put her down....
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Well im glad sniper is doing better. i think as she ages and as your daughter ages (less toys around) maybe she can come back inside. i don't think you would have to put her down i bet there could be a rescue or group that would come in and take her and pay for the med needs if this does happen again and you decide you do not want to keep her ( and i hope that never happens... but just in-case).

Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 am

Oh, no! Not again! Please keep in mind that the two times Isis ate something she shouldn't (ROCKS) she was outside. And that these were rocks (and whatever else that object was) that she had dug up! I understand that you are doing what is necessary for her, but I just don't want you to think that this can't happen outside. Isis is proof that it can, unfortunately! Crying or Very sad Glad she was able to pass this through this time. Easier on all, not to mention the wallet.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Ugh... I'm so sorry Sad Hailey has decided that it's fun to eat blankets or anything with fiber (tissues, paper, sheets, blankets, clothes, etc). I'm almost wondering if I need to increase her fiber intake LOL.

I feel for ya, but I'm with Amy and Jenn. This can definitely happen outside with rocks and things, so if it's not something you can handle, please look to a rescue group Sad I can't imagine the financial strain this must be putting on you, but thank you for trying your hardest to take care of her!

Have you tried increasing the amount of exercise she's getting? Perhaps if she were more exhausted during the day, she'd be less tempted to eat things. It can be a sign of boredom as well...

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm

FWIW - one of my sibes used to eat things he shouldn't and switching him to a high quality food seemed to stop the behavior.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 pm

Thnx for all the support and yes it has put a strain on the wallet but we do love her and hopefully something will change! she will not reside outside FT. Just for most of the day and will be confined to kitchen/living area. not allowed in other rooms. and she will wear a muzzle (if she will wear it) . and Lordbroll we feed blue buffalo so we cant get much higher up than that LOL i dont know what causes her to eat what she does :-( it breaks my heart but she is healing nicely!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Everybody, ok, so after reading this thread I'm a lil scared because Kody has had diarrhea since we got him on and off (almost 2 months ago). To make a long story short. We got him and 2 days later he started with the diarrhea, took him to the vet for his first check up, and the vet put him on some special food and gave us meds. Fine, it worked for a few days. We started integrating his normal food back in and then it started again so back to the vet we went. More meds, back to the special food, and then the vet said that even though he's a puppy to give him Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. He also prescribed meds to give him for 20 days that help digest food better. Ok so we did that and it got better, but he still had it on and off.

Now, for the past 2-3 days he's had non stop diarrhea. Not like he's going constantly, but when he does it's liquid. Yesterday, he pooped out what seemed to be a sock and i was like WOAHHH!! Mya did this in her younger years several times and was fine...didnt' have any tummy issues at all.

Kody is going BACK to the vet on Tuesday morning, but now I can't help to think he might have something stuck in his stomach too. He's acting totally normal....eating normal, drinking water, playing, being his hyper self. No vomiting either. I mean he's had the diarrhea issue so maybe he just has a very very sensitive stomach, but now i'm really worried. Going to try to change the vet appt for tomorrow

Maybe i'm being paranoid, but this sucks! Sad
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 1:11 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Melissa! I hope it's not that serious and you/vet find a solution fast! I think that's the worst part...feelng helpless because you don't know what causes the problem. Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 85993
Back to top Go down
GonetotheSnowDogs
Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Maybe instead of relocating the dog outside, and moving it away from you guys. . maybe its time to rehome the dog? I just think forcing a dog to live outside in that kind of heat. . away from the family. . . I just think thats a bit sad. . .

I hope you change your mind . . and I hope Sniper is okay. . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 5:34 pm

MelissaI wrote:
....Kody is going BACK to the vet on Tuesday morning, but now I can't help to think he might have something stuck in his stomach too. He's acting totally normal....eating normal, drinking water, playing, being his hyper self. No vomiting either. I mean he's had the diarrhea issue so maybe he just has a very very sensitive stomach, but now i'm really worried. Going to try to change the vet appt for tomorrow

Maybe i'm being paranoid, but this sucks! Sad

I went through 5 weeks of diarreha with Ginger. I know she didn't eat anything to cause diarreha, so I didn't have to worry about that. I tried yogurt, pumpkin and probiotics. This helped somewhat but as soon as I backed off either the yogurt, pumpkin or probiotics, she went back to diarreha.

In the end, I finally figured out she is sensitive and intolerant to poultry, and something in her kibble. Because of her build (she's kind of short and she's stocky), we were advised to try to stay away from the heavier proteins such as beef, buffalo, lamb, pork...

I finally found kibble that works, and since then I've added The Honest Kitchen and have found her tolerant of chicken, turkey and duck up to a certain amount.

See my thread 'Mild and Chronic Diarreha'.

I had to start her off with hard boiled eggs and cooked carrots to get her back on track, and slowly introduced her to Orijen. Took almost 4 weeks to completely make the switch.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 5:56 pm

What are you feeding Kody currently?

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:46 pm

oh no Sad hope he doesn't have anything stuck inside him Sad
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Koda wrote:
What are you feeding Kody currently?

Vet said to put him on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and he gets no treats AT ALL, but carrots. It worked a first, but now he's back to it that's why I'm worried that he might have something stuck in there since he pooped out what I think was a sock 2 days ago. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 7:21 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my two would have diarrhea too if they were on Science Diet. Huskies have a very efficient digestive system and often sensitive stomachs to a lot of the crap that's out on the market.

My suggestion would be to try and put him on scrambled eggs and a bit of boiled chicken for a few days to see if that clears up his loose stools. If it does, I'd suggest switching him to something without grains to see how he does.

What is Mya eating?

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 9:57 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Vet said to put him on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and he gets no treats AT ALL, but carrots. It worked a first, but now he's back to it that's why I'm worried that he might have something stuck in there since he pooped out what I think was a sock 2 days ago. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope it's just his food and not a blockage or anything serious like that.

FWIW, my mother in law took her vets advice and fed Prescription Science Diet for sensitive stomachs (it's the I/D formula). She didn't know the first thing about nutrition and blindly followed the vets advice to feed prescription SD. She bought that stuff and fed it to her dog for YEARS and the problem never got any better. He went through good and bad days but he never really improved.

Then I entered the picture when I started dating her son (who is now my husband). LOL Long story short I gave her my advice and set her up with some much better kibbles to try. Wouldn't you know, since she switched to high quality grain free food (at my suggestion might I add, can you tell I'm proud of myself? Razz) her dog is doing amazing and doesn't have all the bouts with diarrhea and stomach upset that he had before when he was on cheap kibbles and prescription Science Diet.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
...FWIW, my mother in law took her vets advice and fed Prescription Science Diet for sensitive stomachs (it's the I/D formula). She didn't know the first thing about nutrition and blindly followed the vets advice to feed prescription SD. She bought that stuff and fed it to her dog for YEARS and the problem never got any better. He went through good and bad days but he never really improved.

Then I entered the picture when I started dating her son (who is now my husband). LOL Long story short I gave her my advice and set her up with some much better kibbles to try. Wouldn't you know, since she switched to high quality grain free food (at my suggestion might I add, can you tell I'm proud of myself? Razz) her dog is doing amazing and doesn't have all the bouts with diarrhea and stomach upset that he had before when he was on cheap kibbles and prescription Science Diet.

My previous vet did the same thing and gave me a 'prescription dog food' for 'sensitive bellies' after I told her chicken-glucosamine biscuits had set her off. Needless to say, I didn't feed it to her because it had chiken in it, took the advice of the Val and Tori and switched to a holistic vet which pretty much said the same thing that Val and Tori said. Ginger has been doing excellent since and has even been able to tolerate chicken and turkey in limited amounts!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Mya eats Blue Buffalo Wilderness chicken or salmon and has no issues. She's even dropped a few lbs which is awesome!

The vet did prescribe I/D (i had forgotten the name) for a few days and then said to start giving him his regular slowly. Which we did and gave him Blue Buffalo puppy since it's what Mya eats. The diarrhea came back a few days later and he put him on I/D again and said that we should start giving him the Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. Apparently that's not working Neutral

He's going back on Tuesday and I just hope that it's nothing more than the food he's eating.

So, I should give him boiled chicken and eggs for a few days? How much of each? He does have a huge appetite. Can I still give him carrots?

Ughh...mission with this!! ;(
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm

Oh and Val, what kibble did you suggest to your mother in law? I need to try something here!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:42 am

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a good food, but their puppy formulas contain grain, and as many of us will tell you... some sibes and grain are not a good combo! Mya is on a grain-free (not sure if you knew that Wilderness is Blue Buffalo's grain free formula) and it sounds like she's doing well on it Smile

I would give him one scrambled egg and maybe half a boiled chicken breast in the morning and the same at night. If that doesn't clear it up, just give him scrambled eggs (1 or 2 a meal) for a few days. This won't hurt him. You basically want to flush his system and keep him eating bland, but still nutritious protein (the egg).

Then try introducing a grain-free kibble. Orijen has a decent puppy formula (from what I hear) or Taste of the Wild is appropriate for all life stages. Keep him on that for a while so long as the diarrhea doesn't come back and see how he does. We're here to help Smile

As a note, vets are busy busy bees, and among their many classes in graduate school, animal nutrition is not one of them (believe it or not). MOST vets have absolutely NO nutritional training at all. Science Diet is crap (in my opinion) and so are many of the other prescription foods that they get kick backs for offering. This is why unless you're seeing a holistic vet or one that has specific animal nutritional training, I wouldn't listen to a word they say regarding food suggestions.

I do hope that Kody didn't swallow anything, but you'd likely be seeing other signs if this were true. If he's otherwise normal and just has diarrhea, I think it's likely his food.

Last edited by Koda on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to clarify a point.)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:28 am

MelissaI wrote:
So, I should give him boiled chicken and eggs for a few days? How much of each? He does have a huge appetite. Can I still give him carrots?

I would definitely start off on a bland diet until you start seeing some formation in his stool. Chicken and egg is a great combo but I would start off with one ingredient at first before upping it to two or three things at first. If you think your dog is fine on chicken then I would start by feeding just boiled chicken until you see some improvement in his stool. If it improves then add in some egg and/or sweet potato, both are good choices for sensitive tummies.

You can still give him carrots but I would ask why you want to feed carrots in the first place? Is it just as a filler? The carrots should be fine, they will most likely just pass through him undigested. You know, if he's not chewing the carrots then that just might be a problem. Is he chewing the carrots before swallowing? If not, then I would try cooked green beans instead of carrots as a filler.

MelissaI wrote:
Oh and Val, what kibble did you suggest to your mother in law? I need to try something here!

Melissa, part of the problem is that each individual dog may not do well on the same foods. While Mya may do well on Blue Wilderness, Kody may not tolerate something in it. My sibe did not do well on Blue Buffalo Wilderness which is grain free and very similar to Innova Evo and Wellness Core which he did do well on. Finding a food that works is trial and error really. For sensitive dogs I would try limited ingredient foods as a starter to help narrow down what your dog does and doesn't do well on. While I am not a huge fan of Natural Balance, I do recommend their L.I.D. (Limited Ingredient Diet) line for sensitive dogs as part of an elimination plan. I suggested this to my mother in law and recommended she start off by trying the Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Venison formula. She switched over slowly mixing it in with his Science Diet and he did great. Once she knew he did well on sweet potato and venison she started trying other formulas. She tried NB's LID Potato and Duck and he didn't do so well so she struck that off the list and went back to what worked (Sweet Potato and Venison). As time went on she kept trying new grain free foods (Evo, Core, Sojos, Honest Kitchen, Party Animal, Ziwipeak, etc) and if she finds something that works she'll keep it in her rotation, if she finds something that doesn't work she doesn't buy it again. Again it's all trial and error.

Orijen puppy would be my first choice of a puppy food suggestion but it is rich so it may or may not work for Kody.

Last edited by Huskyluv on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks so much Tori! He's basically the same expect that last night he was acting a bit down and his nose was try. This morning he woke up fine and played with Mya. Nose still a bit dry, but he ate and drank water. I'm guessing he might be dehydrated because of the diarrhea.

Yep, I know that Wilderness is the grain free formula, but totally my bad on not realizing that the puppy formula was not. I just assumed it was Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 85993

Tonight I will give him the scrambled eggs and chicken. How many days do you think it should take to start clearing it up before I switch to just the eggs?

I can't give him any carrots, huh? =(
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 pm

He loves carrots...that's what I give him as treats since his tummy is so sensitive I don't give him regular dog treats. I give him a carrot when he goes in is crate and I would feel horrible not giving him one when he's expecting it =( He does chew them though. They are baby carrots and he breaks them up to eat them. I have green beans too and might try those to see if he likes them.

Wow, talk about major trial and error. I guess we got lucky with Mya and that Blue Buffalo worked for her from the start.

I hope this helps my lil buddy. Poor thing Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!   Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diahrea & Projectile Vomiting!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next