A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Sierra and Jen B!, our December HOTM winners! HOTM - January : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Sierra and Jen B,
our December HOTM Winners!
Winter Fun!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Texas Sled Dog Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PomskyRescuer
Newborn
Newborn


Join date : 2013-04-12

PostSubject: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

For a while now I have been doing some research about Pomskies, a designer breed that crosses Pomeranians with Siberian Huskies. I am fascinated by these little guys but not sure that I believe there are any credible breeders out there.

I have read Pomsky Headquarters front to back and they do a pretty good job of providing information without sounding like biased boosters. They have some warnings, suggested precautions and disclaimers and frankly, after reading the site, I am not sure I feel comfortable working with a breeder at this time.

It is all so new and young that I just am not sure that breeders are where I need them to be at this time to consider going that route.

So, I have a couple of questions:

Do husky rescue groups work with placing husky mixes or just purebreds or ones that look (eye-test) pure?

Can I be placed on a waiting list with a group for a specific look/appearance or do I simply have to revisit their pages on a weekly basis until I find a dog that I like?

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-10-25
Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 pm

You're not going to find a reputable Pomsky breeder, but it sounds like you've figured that out. If you want a small dog that looks like a husky, try researching the Alaskan Klee Kai. And as far as I know, yes you can find mixes through some rescues. I'm not sure what the eye-test is (looking for blue eyes?) but a husky rescue that thinks pure huskies can only have blue eyes probably shouldn't be trusted. I don't have husky rescue experience, so that's all I've got.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-01-18
Location : Northern Virgina

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm

First a Pomski is not a designer breed, it's a mutt plain and simple. There are no credible breeders because this is a new mutt they thought would look cute or whatever reason they made it. Considering it takes generations of breeding to weed out health issues and good temperament I don't think a credible breeder would willing breed this two types together.

But to answer your questions

Yes they do work with husky mixes.
Normally from what I have seen you put in a application and they email you when they get new dogs in.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
avatar

Male Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Montreal, QC

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Howdy,

Quote :
For a while now I have been doing some research about Pomskies, a designer breed that crosses Pomeranians with Siberian Huskies. I am fascinated by these little guys but not sure that I believe there are any credible breeders out there.

I tend to agree 100%. For me to call a breeder "ethical" they have to be breeding to further and better the breed of dog. They need to be doing so in an ethical manner and should not be out for just a quick buck.

For me, unless someone is breeding for show, competition, or a specific job (of which there are many) I can't say I would be comfortable ever buying any dog off them.

Being as how "Pomskies" are a designer breed they are not AKC / CKC recognized. They can't compete or show. I also find it hard to believe anyone is breeding them for a job and tend to believe they fall more into the "Quick Buck" Category.


Quote :
I have read Pomsky Headquarters front to back and they do a pretty good job of providing information without sounding like biased boosters. They have some warnings, suggested precautions and disclaimers and frankly, after reading the site, I am not sure I feel comfortable working with a breeder at this time.

I won't even click the link sorry.

My mind is already made up on "Pomskies" and I find mixing two breeds simply because of a picture that went viral mislabeling an Alaskan Klee Kai, is far from doing it for "ethical" reasons.



Quote :
Do husky rescue groups work with placing husky mixes or just purebreds or ones that look (eye-test) pure?

Husky rescues deal with Mixs all the time.

Many mixes are labeled as Huskies simply because of markings or masks. It isn't uncommon to find one at a rescue.

By "Eye-tested" pure I assume you mean they look more Husky than anything else... If not I have no clue what that means short of implying the misconception all pure Huskies have blue eyes.

Quote :
Can I be placed on a waiting list with a group for a specific look/appearance or do I simply have to revisit their pages on a weekly basis until I find a dog that I like?

To me, this goes against everything being a "Rescuer" should mean. Though I do understand where you are coming from. Many people go to breed specific rescues looking for that perfect dog or that dog they envision in their minds.

But to flat out simply refuse to rescue based solely on looks, or to begin from that point of view is selfish to me. Sure they play a role, but there should be so many more factors that should come into play first. It just doesn't seem right to me Sorry.


My ,

~Chris~

_________________
Is this about the cake problem? What's the matter with you mathematicians, cake is never a problem. - Professor Lazlo
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah.. Pomskies are an abomination. Plain and simple. You get a Pomskie by artificial inseminating.. I just... I don't get it. People breed this mutt for money. There is no real reason these two HIGHLY different breeds should have ever been bred together. Neither breeds have anything to gain from the mix of these dogs. More complications arise from a breeding like this. I mean, at least you researched before contacting a "breeder"..but honestly. Anyone mixing these breeds is doing it to line their pockets, plain and simple.

Like stated above, if you want a small husky, look into the AKK's. As for rescues, yes they do mixes. The normal procedure for applying for a rescue dog means you put in an application, they check your refrences, if you pass that part then you qualify for a home check, they will then pair you with the dogs that most match your personality or home life. All rescues do it differently, but that is the just of it.

As for the "eye test", I'm assuming you mean looks like a purebred husky?? If that's what you mean, then neither a "pomskie" or an AKK will look like a purebred husky. Only a Siberian will look like a Siberian.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-03-07
Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:54 am

Going to say something that will be unpopular...these "pomskys" are cute. Really, really cute. The only thing cuter than a tiny husky puppy is maybe a pom puppy. And I get why someone would get the idea to try and create the ultimate cuteness.

That said...I don't think it is a great idea to do so, just that the motivation may not always be entirely greed. As humans...we have an addiction to cute. And since these things kind of hold the title to cute right now, I don't see them going away. But since right now they are far to new to have any kind of breed standard, you are going to have plenty that come out "not looking right" and those are the little mutts that will end up in rescue sadly. The "pick of the litters" will be sold for outrageously high prices and likely continue to fuel demand for them. And eventually, there will probably be a strong enough gene pool that some sort of standard can generally be expected from the pups.

Knowing nothing about poms, I can't say what traits beyond cuteness they have to offer. But I am sure there will be those breeders who genuinely try to get the best of both.

I don't support the breeding of designer dogs because there are simply too many dogs that get dumped... why make more. But as someone who 20 years ago thought it would be a great idea to breed sibes and mals together and make an awesome dog, I can say with honesty, sometimes people are simply misguided, but well intentioned. I learned the hard way what diificult dogs I was breeding, and how difficult it was to find owners really able to care for them properly. And then I learned of the millions of dogs being put down in shelters and I regret that I may have contributed to it.

My point is, don't write off anyone associated with "pomskys" as unethical and greedy. Many may have the best of intentions.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:14 pm

I cannot and will never support the breeding of a dog 15lb and under to a dog much larger in size. It's not safe and it can cause health problems later on - because yes, these dogs will likely be carriers of diseases from both breeds.

There are many companion breeds available, there is no reason to be creating a new one just because it's "cute" - we should breed for function, temperament and health...anyone who is breeding for something else is less than reputable.

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-03-18
Location : Deer Park, TX

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Don't do it. I have been raised around poms my entire life. My mothers poms are at 25 pounds right now and they are full breed with AKC papers. They have a lot of health issues and they get diseases very easy. Just research the pom alone....Seriously. I would not support any mutt that is worth the price of a per breed. Just my

Not trying to attck you just want you to be aware of what you maybe doing here.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-03-07
Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:38 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I cannot and will never support the breeding of a dog 15lb and under to a dog much larger in size. It's not safe and it can cause health problems later on - because yes, these dogs will likely be carriers of diseases from both breeds.

There are many companion breeds available, there is no reason to be creating a new one just because it's "cute" - we should breed for function, temperament and health...anyone who is breeding for something else is less than reputable.

Just my two cents.


Again, if you re-read my post, I made it clear I don't support it. I simply pointed out that for SOME people "cute" IS a quality worth breeding for, and it may be the motivating factor of some breeders, not just the money. It doesn't make them evil, just ignorant.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-11-01
Location : Spokane WA

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Since the pomsky isn't a natural breed I cannot support peoples intentional greed in creating these dogs. This breed is only achieved through Artificial Insemination (AI), so people's conscious greed is the motivating factor behind this mix breed. The 'breed' is known for temperament issues and major health issues.

I am in complete agreement with Megan- there are plenty of companion breeds out there for rescue/adoption/purchase from much more reputable sources, and those that breed for 'cute' factor are not doing it for the right reasons. We should only be breeding for function, health, and temperament not for personal gain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:29 pm

@Mschwax wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
I cannot and will never support the breeding of a dog 15lb and under to a dog much larger in size. It's not safe and it can cause health problems later on - because yes, these dogs will likely be carriers of diseases from both breeds.

There are many companion breeds available, there is no reason to be creating a new one just because it's "cute" - we should breed for function, temperament and health...anyone who is breeding for something else is less than reputable.

Just my two cents.


Again, if you re-read my post, I made it clear I don't support it. I simply pointed out that for SOME people "cute" IS a quality worth breeding for, and it may be the motivating factor of some breeders, not just the money. It doesn't make them evil, just ignorant.

The reason that this thought process doesn't work is because of how the breeding is achieved. It couldn't have been an accidental breeding and then people were like, "OH MY GOD! IT'S SO FRICKEN CUTE!". Like I stated and like Lani stated, this "breed" was brought about by artificial insemination. Nobody could have possibly looked at a Pomeranian and a Siberian Husky and been like, "Hey, these guys are both pretty cute. Let's see what happens when I take the sperm of one dog and inject it into another one." It just doesn't work like that. I would rather have a "designer breed" AKA mutt come about from an accidental breeding far more then from a greed standpoint. And there is no way this mutt came across from a standpoint of cuteness.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:40 pm

I wa not singling you out. I was stating my feelings on this "breed" as a whole.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
PomskyRescuer
Newborn
Newborn


Join date : 2013-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:50 pm

@Dot wrote:
You're not going to find a reputable Pomsky breeder, but it sounds like you've figured that out. If you want a small dog that looks like a husky, try researching the Alaskan Klee Kai. And as far as I know, yes you can find mixes through some rescues. I'm not sure what the eye-test is (looking for blue eyes?) but a husky rescue that thinks pure huskies can only have blue eyes probably shouldn't be trusted. I don't have husky rescue experience, so that's all I've got.

Thanks. I mean the eye test in a general sense...not literally an eye color test...just being able to identify husky markings/appearance.
Back to top Go down
PomskyRescuer
Newborn
Newborn


Join date : 2013-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:54 pm

@Tika wrote:


To me, this goes against everything being a "Rescuer" should mean. Though I do understand where you are coming from. Many people go to breed specific rescues looking for that perfect dog or that dog they envision in their minds.

But to flat out simply refuse to rescue based solely on looks, or to begin from that point of view is selfish to me. Sure they play a role, but there should be so many more factors that should come into play first. It just doesn't seem right to me Sorry.


My ,

~Chris~

Thank you for your reply, Chris. While I understand your perspective...I respectfully disagree. If we were to take your position to the logical conclusion...wouldn't that mean you should oppose the idea of there being any breed specific rescue organizations?
Back to top Go down
PomskyRescuer
Newborn
Newborn


Join date : 2013-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:57 pm

@Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Yeah.. Pomskies are an abomination. Plain and simple. You get a Pomskie by artificial inseminating.. I just... I don't get it. People breed this mutt for money. There is no real reason these two HIGHLY different breeds should have ever been bred together. Neither breeds have anything to gain from the mix of these dogs. More complications arise from a breeding like this. I mean, at least you researched before contacting a "breeder"..but honestly. Anyone mixing these breeds is doing it to line their pockets, plain and simple.

Like stated above, if you want a small husky, look into the AKK's. As for rescues, yes they do mixes. The normal procedure for applying for a rescue dog means you put in an application, they check your refrences, if you pass that part then you qualify for a home check, they will then pair you with the dogs that most match your personality or home life. All rescues do it differently, but that is the just of it.

As for the "eye test", I'm assuming you mean looks like a purebred husky?? If that's what you mean, then neither a "pomskie" or an AKK will look like a purebred husky. Only a Siberian will look like a Siberian.

I have looked at the AKKs a little bit...but not sure I like them. I have read they can be a little skittish on the socialization front.

When you say more complications arise from breedings like this...do you mean...the notion of amateurs breeding dogs and doing it improperly or do you mean the genetic defects that arise from crossing two breeds?
Back to top Go down
PomskyRescuer
Newborn
Newborn


Join date : 2013-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 pm

@amychuke wrote:
Don't do it. I have been raised around poms my entire life. My mothers poms are at 25 pounds right now and they are full breed with AKC papers. They have a lot of health issues and they get diseases very easy. Just research the pom alone....Seriously. I would not support any mutt that is worth the price of a per breed. Just my

Not trying to attck you just want you to be aware of what you maybe doing here.

Thank you, Amy.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
avatar

Join date : 2012-06-13
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:31 pm

@PomskyRescuer wrote:
@Tika wrote:


To me, this goes against everything being a "Rescuer" should mean. Though I do understand where you are coming from. Many people go to breed specific rescues looking for that perfect dog or that dog they envision in their minds.

But to flat out simply refuse to rescue based solely on looks, or to begin from that point of view is selfish to me. Sure they play a role, but there should be so many more factors that should come into play first. It just doesn't seem right to me Sorry.


My ,

~Chris~

Thank you for your reply, Chris. While I understand your perspective...I respectfully disagree. If we were to take your position to the logical conclusion...wouldn't that mean you should oppose the idea of there being any breed specific rescue organizations?

Not really. There is so much more to differences in breeds than looks. Each breed has been bred for different purposes which, along with physical aspects, begets personality, energy, and temperment traits. Choosing a dog purely on looks is way different than choosing a breed because of their personality traits.


Last edited by MGoBlue on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
avatar

Male Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Montreal, QC

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Quote :
Thank you for your reply, Chris. While I understand your perspective...I respectfully disagree. If we were to take your position to the logical conclusion...wouldn't that mean you should oppose the idea of there being any breed specific rescue organizations?

Absolutely not.

You're apparently under the impression the only reason that breed specific rescues exist are to facilitate adoption. There are many other reasons why breed specific rescues exist that go above and beyond the adoption itself.

Talking and working with people who have first hand knowledge of the breed you are adopting is one of the most informative experiences you can have as a new dog or breed owner. Being able to see the breed interacting with it's own kind provides insight into expected behaviors and mannerisms.

Medical staff is informed on the draw backs health wise of owning a breed and what diet you should expect to feed.


However being on a Husky rescue list and not wanting to even look at dogs who don't resemble "Pomskies" isn't something I would consider being a rescuer.

~Chris~

_________________
Is this about the cake problem? What's the matter with you mathematicians, cake is never a problem. - Professor Lazlo
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-11
Location : NYC

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:11 pm

@PomskyRescuer wrote:
@Tika wrote:


To me, this goes against everything being a "Rescuer" should mean. Though I do understand where you are coming from. Many people go to breed specific rescues looking for that perfect dog or that dog they envision in their minds.

But to flat out simply refuse to rescue based solely on looks, or to begin from that point of view is selfish to me. Sure they play a role, but there should be so many more factors that should come into play first. It just doesn't seem right to me Sorry.


My ,

~Chris~

Thank you for your reply, Chris. While I understand your perspective...I respectfully disagree. If we were to take your position to the logical conclusion...wouldn't that mean you should oppose the idea of there being any breed specific rescue organizations?

I don't think that is 'the logical conclusion.' The reason being is that any breed is about a lot more than looks, especially sibes. I was first attracted to the breed by their looks, but after owning one, I love them to death for entirely different reasons.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-11
Location : NYC

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Actually, I should have said, being owned by one. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-10-29
Location : Montreal, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 pm

@PomskyRescuer wrote:
I have looked at the AKKs a little bit...but not sure I like them. I have read they can be a little skittish on the socialization front.

When you say more complications arise from breedings like this...do you mean...the notion of amateurs breeding dogs and doing it improperly or do you mean the genetic defects that arise from crossing two breeds?

How about both? Amateurs who breed "designer" dogs are trying to make a quick buck, they aren't breeding for show or to further the healthy lineage of a particular breed. They are trying to fill a market demand for a cute, small, super fluffly husky. Pomskies, as stated before, are not a breed, any "breeder" of these dogs is cleary not doing this with the well being of the dogs in mind. There are enough problems with poor breeding and back yard breeders as it is, people here very passionatly advocate avoiding supporting these practices if at all possible.

To look at it realistically, Pomeranians within breed standard can range between 3-7 pounds.
Huskies are between 35-60 pounds depending on the sex.
So logically this coupling should NEVER have been made. There is a 30 pound difference at the minumum. Sure the puppies will be cute, but the health issues alone will be enormous. Anyone promoting and advocating this breeding is not OK in my books and I would steer very clear.

If you want to get on a rescue waiting list, please do so with an open mind for the looks and choose a breed based on their characteristics, and how they will fit your lifestyle. Otherwise it will end up like a lot of people who buy huskies, they see an adorable puppy, and don't take their personality traits and energy level into account, most end up leading to surrender. Its not all about looks, its about how they will fit your lifestyle and how much you want to put into training and exercise.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-11-03
Location : San Antonio, TX

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Quote :
When you say more complications arise from breedings like this...do you mean...the notion of amateurs breeding dogs and doing it improperly or do you mean the genetic defects that arise from crossing two breeds?
I'm guessing they mean the genetic issues. You are taking a tiny dog and breeding it to a medium sized dog (and remember, this isn't physically possible for the dogs to mate, they have to be artificially inseminated) and expecting these puppies to be normal. The reason the two dogs can't physically breed in the first place is because of the size difference. That has to lead to a bunch of hip and joint problems. And as someone has already stated, Poms are pretty sickly to begin with. So you are risking having a dog with those health issues as well, and introducing those health issues into the husky breed when there's no reason for it to be there in the first place.

The point of breeding is to further the breed, I'm not sure how breeding a Pom to a husky accomplishes this. Breed specific resuces are there for the dogs...to help rescue dogs that otherwise might have ended up in a kill shelter. Each rescue is geared toward that specific breed. I imagine it would be hard to find a pomsky in one.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:40 pm

@PomskyRescuer wrote:
Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Yeah.. Pomskies are an abomination. Plain and simple. You get a Pomskie by artificial inseminating.. I just... I don't get it. People breed this mutt for money. There is no real reason these two HIGHLY different breeds should have ever been bred together. Neither breeds have anything to gain from the mix of these dogs. More complications arise from a breeding like this. I mean, at least you researched before contacting a "breeder"..but honestly. Anyone mixing these breeds is doing it to line their pockets, plain and simple.

Like stated above, if you want a small husky, look into the AKK's. As for rescues, yes they do mixes. The normal procedure for applying for a rescue dog means you put in an application, they check your refrences, if you pass that part then you qualify for a home check, they will then pair you with the dogs that most match your personality or home life. All rescues do it differently, but that is the just of it.

As for the "eye test", I'm assuming you mean looks like a purebred husky?? If that's what you mean, then neither a "pomskie" or an AKK will look like a purebred husky. Only a Siberian will look like a Siberian.

I have looked at the AKKs a little bit...but not sure I like them. I have read they can be a little skittish on the socialization front.

When you say more complications arise from breedings like this...do you mean...the notion of amateurs breeding dogs and doing it improperly or do you mean the genetic defects that arise from crossing two breeds?


Complications arise because you are breeding a 10lb dog to a 40 - 60lb dog. That can even create oddly sized organs - I have seen "toy" dogs created from other toys being bred to standard sized animals and their organs were too big or too small for their body, one had deformed kidneys that were too small to function and the puppy died. I find it sad and disgusting.

But, that's just me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-11
Location : NYC

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
@PomskyRescuer wrote:
Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Yeah.. Pomskies are an abomination. Plain and simple. You get a Pomskie by artificial inseminating.. I just... I don't get it. People breed this mutt for money. There is no real reason these two HIGHLY different breeds should have ever been bred together. Neither breeds have anything to gain from the mix of these dogs. More complications arise from a breeding like this. I mean, at least you researched before contacting a "breeder"..but honestly. Anyone mixing these breeds is doing it to line their pockets, plain and simple.

Like stated above, if you want a small husky, look into the AKK's. As for rescues, yes they do mixes. The normal procedure for applying for a rescue dog means you put in an application, they check your refrences, if you pass that part then you qualify for a home check, they will then pair you with the dogs that most match your personality or home life. All rescues do it differently, but that is the just of it.

As for the "eye test", I'm assuming you mean looks like a purebred husky?? If that's what you mean, then neither a "pomskie" or an AKK will look like a purebred husky. Only a Siberian will look like a Siberian.

I have looked at the AKKs a little bit...but not sure I like them. I have read they can be a little skittish on the socialization front.

When you say more complications arise from breedings like this...do you mean...the notion of amateurs breeding dogs and doing it improperly or do you mean the genetic defects that arise from crossing two breeds?


Complications arise because you are breeding a 10lb dog to a 40 - 60lb dog. That can even create oddly sized organs - I have seen "toy" dogs created from other toys being bred to standard sized animals and their organs were too big or too small for their body, one had deformed kidneys that were too small to function and the puppy died. I find it sad and disgusting.

But, that's just me.

That's horrible and so sad. Poor pup was probably in a lot of pain.
Back to top Go down
Ashlesage07
Newborn
Newborn


Join date : 2017-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:51 am

Yeah, I really feel bad for that pomsky. We even can't imagine how much pain he have to suffer. I love puppies and I can see them in pain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomskies.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?   

Back to top Go down
 

Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Pomskies for Rescue or Adoption?
» Wirral - Shih Tzu Rescue
» Rats - Shropshire (Telford)
» Lucy - Collie Cross (Milton Keynes, Bucks)
» Found Siberian Husky - Southeast Missouri

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-