It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

Male Join date : 2013-03-26

Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? Empty
PostSubject: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

My "Fen" is 12 weeks old. SUCH a smart dog... Ive had him about a month now and his command list is as followed: Come, stay, sit, lay down, shake, talk to me, and drop it. He learned these tricks within a couple days per, and does VERY well at them especially being so young. The only problem I am having with him is peeing in the house??? He knows not to go inside... and he knows what potty outside is. He doesn't #2 in the house, and when the door is open he will run outside to do all of his business. He will even stop in the middle of playing to run out, do his thing, and then run back in to continue. He is praised very much when he does so. Lately though, he has been peeing inside? He wont bark or anything... its like he looks at me, prepares to be disciplined, pees, and then hides? I just dont get it! He KNOWS he's not supposed to do so... I mean you can see it in his face. What am I doing wrong? ANy help will be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 pm

When i got koda at 8 weeks.. The first thing i thought him was sit. Whicb was learned in a few minutes.. Then every single time i tolk him outside i made him sit infront of the door before we go out.. Every single time.. Dont skip it oncd even in the middle of the night. If you carry him sit him down and make him sit.. Koda learnes this quickly and potty training was so simple for me! He is 5 months and have had a accident since he was 3 months.. I dont count the accidents when he pees when someone is petting jim cause he is excited.. Try that though.. Also i know some people love haning bells by the door and do the same step but have him ring the bell
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Fen so young, give it time. For a while mine would go three weeks without an accident, and have 2 or 3 accidents in one night, and then be great for another couple weeks. What you're going through is completely normal. Keep interrupting, redirecting, praising, etc. Take Fen out a lot, etc. It will pass, good luck.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Okay, one question. When he goes outside, are you there standing with/right next to him praising him, or do you praise him once he comes back inside?
Back to top Go down
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, we will keep at it!

While I dont stand right beside him 100% of the time, I usually am close by. He gets praised on the spot and is told "Potty outside" as he knows what "outside" is. He has never been praised inside for pottying outside. Whats so crazy is he KNOWS he's doing wrong... its like he's testing me or somethng. Its almost like he's doing it for attention, but it's just us and all my time is spent with him. I'm stumped... but we will just keep going. Ive only had him for a month now, so age could be part of it. But again, he picks up everything else quickly, and I know that he knows what hes doing. Idk...
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Honestly, I don't think he knows he's doing something wrong, what he does know is that he gets in trouble when he pees in front of you. So he gives you that guilty or annoyed look while he's doing it, because he is expecting to get in trouble for peeing, but he doesn't really get why. The reason he goes outside if the door is open is because the human isn't out there and can't yell at him. I would recommend taking him out on the leash every time and praising and treating like crazy when he goes. Once he starts to relax and realizes you're not going to get mad at him just for peeing, then you can start letting him off leash in the yard, but go out with him 100% of the time and throw a party 100% of the time. Then it will start to dawn on him that its an inside vs outside thing, not a 'this crazy human attacks me for no reason when i pee near him/her thing' Believe it or not, he's probably just scared to pee in front of you, and doesn't understand the difference between outside or inside in terms of the potty area.

By the way I'm not saying you are attacking your dog, or are mean (he sounds very well loved and cared for), or anything, just imagine if you went to the bathroom to use the toilet and some bigger smarter animal caught you, scolded you, grabbed you by your neck and drug you outside. It would freak you out to, and you may be wary of going to the bathroom around that animal, and we have brains that reason and try to figure stuff out. Imagine how your dog feels... scratch
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Crate training, sit, down basic commands, don't expect your puppy to be potty trained because he picked those up super fast. Huskies are crazy smart, but bladder control is not something you just learn, he's baby. So, if he's gotta pee, even if he knows better, he's gotta pee. Don't assume it's a challenge, when he pees inside realize you needed to take him out sooner. Trust me, a lot of people complain that their tiny puppies aren't learning it even though they're really smart, or challenging them, etc. but there are physical constraints as to how well he can hold his bladder. Time and consistency Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Spoken for truth Jen. The connection is "my human is scarey" not "I shouldn't pee on my human's carpet."
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Good info, however he isnt scared to pee/poo around me (outside), as I am with him when he does it. I even pet/praise WHILE he'd doing it outside. He doesnt give me the look while we are outside, as it appears he knows its ok. The only time he gives me the look is when we are inside, as if he knows its coming to him for what he's doing. At first I did have him on a leash all the time potty but we have gotten away from that because he really never leaves my side. I know I had mentioned that Im not with him 100% while he pottys outside, but I meant as in next to him... im usually only a few feet away. He did it again last night at a friends house. We go in, he looks around, takes a quick squat and runs to hide lol. Im like dude wtf? lol.

Im going to just keep working with him, and the good thing is the new house im moving into has tile floors instead of carpet haha. I love the little guy, and would never intenally cause him any pain. It just gets agrivating some times because I know he's smart enough.

Oh, and one more thing. In the morning when we wake up, I have to go to the front door and prop the screen door open, because if it isnt, he cant hold it the few seconds it takes me to get there after taking him out of the bed. We could lay in the bed for another hour... but as soon as I set him on the floor he'll bolt for the door (as I alwaYs take him out first thing in the a.m. before work). Im sure thats just him being a puppy, and getting mworked up much like when we have to go and enter the bathroom its like the need to go multiplies. But once again... it tells me that he knows to go outside. idk... ill just keep at it!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 pm

So it seems like he's made the connection with peeing = bad reaction but not peeing = outside only....which is fine and this takes a long time with relapses and accidents all the time.

As with so much with puppies, prevention is superior to reaction. So when you go to your friend's house, what is first priority? Your friend or your puppy? Just remember that peeing is very predictable: water, food, chewing, napping, training, playing, new experiences = pee time. Always with a puppy. So you should always set the pup up for success, and this means arriving at your friend's house and spending time with your puppy outside first and wait as long as it takes for the pup to pee, and when it happens, treats and praise as though the world has been conquered.

Think of it in the same way as chewing on stuff. It wouldn't be fair or successful to leave your shoes and socks all over the floor and then correct your puppy every time a shoe or sock is chewed on. Just put them away and problem solved, right? Same with peeing. Put it away, as it were, first and your problem is solved.

Expect peeing all the time and then you can enjoy your pup's freedom more and more and build up bladder control, tolerance, and communication signals (mostly body language) that you are able to recognize.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Maybe now that you know 'the look' and he knows the command 'outside' you can say the outside command the second you see the look, and run to the door and open it and catch him before he squats. Make it a game of chase. Also, most dogs will hold it to the point of giving themselves a UTI rather than pee in their beds, so i'm not surprised he's bursting in the morning. Speaking of which, you might want to get that checked out if you haven't already. Rhia has a good point too. Since he's so little, he may not 'feel' like he has to go until he HAS to go, if you know what I mean. Smile Just don't take it personally and think he 'knows' better. Sounds like he likes going outside better, but he may not 'get' all the steps to asking to go outside, or he may not be able to wait. Smile He'll get there though!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Just keep in mind it's not a matter of "smart enough." Remember that three months ago he was blind, unable to walk, he looked more like a guinea pig than a dog.
I'd love to see pictures of the little man! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 3:30 pm

I was just typing ^ verbatim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???   Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help needed w/ potty training... just dont get it???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1