It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Skijoring?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JaylaT
Newborn
Newborn
JaylaT

Female Join date : 2010-07-17

Skijoring? Empty
PostSubject: Skijoring?   Skijoring? EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 12:12 am

My husband and our daughter along with our new husky will be moving to alaska in october and since what huskies love to do is work and run we thought we would take up skijoring with him, maybe a good outlet for all his energy!lol. His first owner used him for pulling competitions, so I guess he has had some training in it? she said at his last pull he was up to pulling 300 lbs...Now he is CKC registered and I was told he was a good breeder,but I am not experienced in breeding dogs and dont want to be an irresponsible one. I also dont want him getting loose and adding to the population of unwanted puppies:( So my question is and I have heard many different things will neutering him make him not want to run..I mean thats what they were born to do, arent they going to do it intact or not? I am also potty training him and cant get him to stop marking my house! BTW he is three yrs old.Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Skijoring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring?   Skijoring? EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 11:46 am

As far as skijoring, I would start teach him the mushing commands on walks and in your home. Say the words everytime you move forward at a run, move right, move left. Use treats too Smile I can get more specific if you need, but you said he already knows some commands, so I assume that you know Smile Also, get him used to the harness. You'll need to get him an X-back harness (a great site is Alpine Outfitters). I would hook that up to him around the house, just to get him used to it for a little while. When he doesn't mind wearing it, then you can take him out running (on a leash) with you just to get used to running in it and using the commands Smile That's how I would start!

Neutring a dog does NOT make him lose the desire to run, if my Koda is any indication. I think that perhaps if you were sled dog racing it might have an effect on his speed? But Koda runs and loves to bikejor with me, so I wouldn't say that neutering has an effect.

It depends which CKC he is registered: Continental Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club. The Canadian club is reputable, the Continental club is not. Continental is considered by some to be a "puppy mill club" because they don't hold shows and all you need to do is basically send in a picture of your dog and they register it. AKC and Canadian Kennel Club are much more strict and they hold shows.

If you're not an experienced breeder, or if you're not planning to breed as a living/with purpose, my personal opinion is that there is no need to keep an intact dog. Laura Turner created a pretty great list of questions regarding the breeding of dogs... here's a link to her argument:
So You Want to Breed Your Dog?

Lastly, for potty training, check out a sticky I created. Potty Training We had to retrain Koda when we got him too and the advice I ALWAYS give is "Start over at Step 1 as if he was a puppy." This should help!

Skijoring? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Skijoring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring?   Skijoring? EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JaylaT
Newborn
Newborn
JaylaT

Female Join date : 2010-07-17

Skijoring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring?   Skijoring? EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 5:42 pm

koda- thank you for the tips on the skijoring,how is bikejor..the same thing pretty much? I may get you to go into detail for me if thats ok.lol and thanks for the tips on potty training he is doing ok with it only a few accidents here and there. I defidentley dont want to breed..If we wanted another puppy we may would breed him once just for that but if/when we do get another husky we really want a black and white so I am defidentley getting him neutered I think its the wisest decision.

Here4thepics- thanks for the advice, Im gonna call our local humane sosiety to make an appointment to have him snipped, they'll do it for sixty dollars, but their next opening isnt until late august.
Back to top Go down
Zyanya
Newborn
Newborn
Zyanya

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

Skijoring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring?   Skijoring? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm

I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to share something I read that I thought was interesting. The Chukchi people of Siberia who bred and "created" the Siberian Husky would neuter nearly all of their dogs for their sleds. This promoted good team dynamics. They only left a few males intact to lead the team and breed. So I'm sure that neutering or spaying would not affect a huskies ability to mush.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skijoring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring?   Skijoring? Empty

Back to top Go down

Skijoring?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1