A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Balto, Sugar, Gizmo, Nova, and Melissa!, our December HOTM winners! HOTM - January : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Balto, Sugar, Gizmo, Nova and Melissa,
our December HOTM Winners!
Sweet Memories!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 doesn't like Blue Buffalo?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mg13
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-01-10
Location : North Dakota

PostSubject: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:39 pm

My husky Captain is 11 months old. I have been feeding him Blue Buffalo puppy food for the last 7 months. He used to eat it without a problem. Over the last month i have noticed that he doesn't want to eat it anymore. He will pick at it and whine when i fill up his bowl. I took him over to my friends last week, and he feeds his dog Purina. I couldn't keep captain from eating it. He acted like he hadn't eaten in days.

Is it possible that he just doesnt like the food anymore? Should i look at switching it up to something like the Purina since he liked it so much?

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-06-16
Location : Toronto, ON, Canada

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm

Maybe he's just bored with BB? I know people on here that feed kibble rotate foods every so often... Most small-scale stores would be able to give you a little sample of the food as well (that way you don't have to buy a HUGE bag and risk your pup not liking it)
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-06-16
Location : Toronto, ON, Canada

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm

@mg13 wrote:

Is it possible that he just doesnt like the food anymore? Should i look at switching it up to something like the Purina since he liked it so much?


Just saw this part... I personally wouldn't recommend Purina as a kibble - that's like crack laced with heroin for dogs in my opinion... You can check out this site: www.dogfoodadvisor.com and pick a 4 or 5 star brand of kibble to rotate with. Smile
Back to top Go down
mg13
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-01-10
Location : North Dakota

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-06-23
Location : Huntsville, AL

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:06 pm

It does sound like it's boredom with his food. This is one of the reasons I recommend rotation diets, in addition to other reasons. Put yourself in his shoes and honestly ask yourself how much you would enjoy your meals if you ate the exact same thing day in and day out for months and months on end.

If your dog can stomach it, why not try rotating to a different formula every time you buy a new bag?

_________________
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-11
Location : Toronto, ON

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Sounds like boredom to me but I would not feed Purina either, I feel like the dog gobblng down the purina was a case of "someone elses food". I can take cally to my parents or my sisters and she will gobble down there food but wont touch hers lol. They just like other dogs foods better than there own :p we all want what we cant have, dogs included Razz
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-02-12
Location : Murrieta, CA

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm

My 10 month old husky used to eat blue buffalo chicken and rice. At first he loved it. That lasted for a few months and then he wouldn't dare touch the food and threw a fit everytime we filled his bowl-just like captain. It even began to make him a little sick. So perhaps captain stopped eating it because it upset his poor tummy. Huskies are known to be picky eaters I guess. Now, we got a 4 month old husky who loves Eukanuba and my older one fell in love with it as well so we have been sticking with it and everything has been golden for 4+ months! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Both mine turned their noses up to BB. I forced them to eat it thinking it was the best food for them, but eventually I switched to TOTW because Yuki was constantly sick on the Wilderness. Yuki is on pacific stream flavor, Cloud bison. (Cloud was getting bored with pacific stream so I recently switched him). Like what was suggested before, I am rotating flavors every bag. Hope this helps Smile

And again.. I would not recommend Purina, Pedigree, or brands that contain corn gluten, by-product meal, grains, etc.. And on a side note I wouldn't let him eat your friends dogs food, regardless of what brand as new food could also cause his stomach to be upset. Smile
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-02-12
Location : Murrieta, CA

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:37 am

I, too, like the idea of rotating. Might give it a try!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : MD

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm

You do have to be careful switching too much, because even that can create a picky eater.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:07 pm

I switch up my girls' food almost every month..at the most two months. They can go from eating kibble, to raw, to cooked food, and back to kibble. I don't think a dog should have to eat the same kibble day in and day out..because what happens when you don't have that ONE food they've been eating for years?? Your dog is going to have the naaastiest runs!! So, in order to avoid that and because I wouldn't want to eat the same food for my whole life, I switch.

Neither of my girls are "picky" eaters. If my girls ever turned their nose up to any food, I would throw it out right away. Which I have done before. The two brands I threw out were BB Wilderness and a brand named Loyall. If your dog is turning their nose up to a certain brand, I would look into the possibility of switching to a different food. While yes, that can create picky eaters, there is probably a reason they won't eat that food...usually at least.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : MD

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I switch between flavors but not brands. But it's probably because it took me going through quite a few foods before I found the food that worked best for Balon, everything but BB Wilderness gave him soft musky poop! I can however switch between fish and duck. And that I do, so he does get some variety, I just don't switch up brands. Kelsey if you can do that and have your dogs have no problems I think that's great. But I have just found over the years that switching around too much can make them pickier, not all dogs of course! Very Happy Everyone has to do what works best for their own dogs of course! That is why there are hundreds of different kibbles out there lol. And I am certainly no expert on canine nutrition.
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy


Male Join date : 2013-04-08
Location : NW Florida

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 am

@UndarthAngipoo wrote:
@mg13 wrote:

Is it possible that he just doesnt like the food anymore? Should i look at switching it up to something like the Purina since he liked it so much?


Just saw this part... I personally wouldn't recommend Purina as a kibble - that's like crack laced with heroin for dogs in my opinion... You can check out this site: www.dogfoodadvisor.com and pick a 4 or 5 star brand of kibble to rotate with. Smile

Everyone should go read the discussion underneath the BB page on dogfoodadvisor.com. You may or may not want your dog to eat that food any longer.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-11
Location : NYC

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 pm

@Mobezilla wrote:
And again.. I would not recommend Purina, Pedigree, or brands that contain corn gluten, by-product meal, grains, etc.. And on a side note I wouldn't let him eat your friends dogs food, regardless of what brand as new food could also cause his stomach to be upset. Smile

Ha ha. Yes. Every once in a while we run out of good cat food and have to buy purina in a pinch, and we call it kitty crack. If they know its in the house, they get very demanding and moody when the bowls are empty.
Back to top Go down
laurnerox1
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-03-15
Location : Redwood City, CA

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm

My older Husky never like BB but as soon as I put down a bowl of BBW then she started gobbling it up. She also tries to get the puppies chow. So I agreee with staying with same brand but switching up flavors, or mixing flavors. Try making homemade chicken broth and sprinkling it on top for flavor?
Back to top Go down
redraidersrule
Newborn
Newborn


Male Join date : 2013-04-18
Location : Houston, TX

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:58 pm

@nolesooner wrote:
@UndarthAngipoo wrote:
@mg13 wrote:

Is it possible that he just doesnt like the food anymore? Should i look at switching it up to something like the Purina since he liked it so much?


Just saw this part... I personally wouldn't recommend Purina as a kibble - that's like crack laced with heroin for dogs in my opinion... You can check out this site: www.dogfoodadvisor.com and pick a 4 or 5 star brand of kibble to rotate with. Smile

Everyone should go read the discussion underneath the BB page on dogfoodadvisor.com. You may or may not want your dog to eat that food any longer.

So what am I missing? Seems like the big discussion is talking about the USDA definitions of ingredients such as "meals" and "by products". What is so bad with BBW right now? I know some dogs have been having diarrhea etc, but who knows if food is the cause.

I have two puppies, both are about 10.5 weeks old. The breeder was feeding them Purina ProPlan so that is what I bought initially. Its almost time to start switching to the new bag. I bought one bag of BBW Puppy so they will get that within the next couple of days mixed with the Purina. Now the main reason I bought BBW because it does get 5 stars on Dog Food Advisor and Dog Food Analysis plus its cheaper than a lot of other 5 stars. And I had a coupon and Im a cheapskate. Neutral

So Im going to give them that one bag and see how they do but Im open to switching. I live in an area that has access to most name brands (Orijen, Acana, Evo, TOTW, Wellness, etc). As of right now I dont have the time to do raw. Which kibble would you suggest? First if money is no object which would you pick? And thinking of money, what do you think is best value for the money among the best (5-6 stars)? Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy


Male Join date : 2013-04-08
Location : NW Florida

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 pm

@redraidersrule wrote:
@nolesooner wrote:
@UndarthAngipoo wrote:
@mg13 wrote:

Is it possible that he just doesnt like the food anymore? Should i look at switching it up to something like the Purina since he liked it so much?


Just saw this part... I personally wouldn't recommend Purina as a kibble - that's like crack laced with heroin for dogs in my opinion... You can check out this site: www.dogfoodadvisor.com and pick a 4 or 5 star brand of kibble to rotate with. Smile

Everyone should go read the discussion underneath the BB page on dogfoodadvisor.com. You may or may not want your dog to eat that food any longer.

So what am I missing? Seems like the big discussion is talking about the USDA definitions of ingredients such as "meals" and "by products". What is so bad with BBW right now? I know some dogs have been having diarrhea etc, but who knows if food is the cause.

I have two puppies, both are about 10.5 weeks old. The breeder was feeding them Purina ProPlan so that is what I bought initially. Its almost time to start switching to the new bag. I bought one bag of BBW Puppy so they will get that within the next couple of days mixed with the Purina. Now the main reason I bought BBW because it does get 5 stars on Dog Food Advisor and Dog Food Analysis plus its cheaper than a lot of other 5 stars. And I had a coupon and Im a cheapskate. Neutral

So Im going to give them that one bag and see how they do but Im open to switching. I live in an area that has access to most name brands (Orijen, Acana, Evo, TOTW, Wellness, etc). As of right now I dont have the time to do raw. Which kibble would you suggest? First if money is no object which would you pick? And thinking of money, what do you think is best value for the money among the best (5-6 stars)? Thanks for the help

If you read as many of the posts as you can, there are some horrible connections with health problems that vets and owners are starting to talk about. I have no idea how much of that is just bad luck, but it just made me nervous is all. I can tell you that talking with two of my local vets in my area, that there opinons on food are that, every dog is different. I think they just think that we need to stay away from the obvious bad dog foods. But one said that particular brand of purina are good enough foods for dogs. I have mine on Origen right now, but I think that it may be a little too rich in protien for her. I think I will maybe switch to Taste of the Wild or Nutro Ultra. Also if money is of no value, Origin is supposed to be the best dry kibble out there. CORE is good too. I know that BB is supposed to be one of the best on the market right now, but from what I have heard is that they have many different plants and that different bags of food may be slightly different than others. I dunno.
Back to top Go down
redraidersrule
Newborn
Newborn


Male Join date : 2013-04-18
Location : Houston, TX

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Mon May 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. From my last post Im at the end of the switching stage. Give about 75% BBW and 25% Purina Pro Plan. Here in a few days they will be 100% on BBW. So far they are doing pretty good on it. I dont think my wife totally likes BBW for the exact same reason you do. It made her nervous from me telling her about all these posts. She also thinks it might be a little too high protein. Ive heard nothing but good things like you said about Orijen. However like you said Orijen is even higher protein. Im really considering going to Acana Regionals. Its from the same makers as Orijen but less protein.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Mon May 13, 2013 9:07 pm

I've actually heard of a lot more issues with Nutro than any other food - after all, Mars has been responsible for some of the most publicized and terrifying recalls in dog food.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy


Male Join date : 2013-04-08
Location : NW Florida

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

mheath0429 wrote:
I've actually heard of a lot more issues with Nutro than any other food - after all, Mars has been responsible for some of the most publicized and terrifying recalls in dog food.


that is interesting to hear....I didn't know that either.

Is there a way to know what brands have never had a recall? Or if they have....maybe they weren't that bad?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-06-23
Location : Huntsville, AL

PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 am

This is where research is your friend. Even good companies/foods have recalls every now and then but it's why researching and finding out how frequently recalls happen and over what and that sort of thing helps you determine what companies you want to stay away from or not.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: doesn't like Blue Buffalo?   

Back to top Go down
 

doesn't like Blue Buffalo?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Blue Frog?
» Exciting product !! Buffalo loam / compost
» Which Ball Blue Book
» Blue Bibb Salad
» Texas Blue Bonnets

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-