It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

so i went biking with blu this weekend...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

so i went biking with blu this weekend... Empty
PostSubject: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 am

and it was fun... all the way up until the scene of the crash LOL.

i've done practice runs with him around the farm and he did fine, learned all his commands for turning, stopping, slowing down, going faster etc. however i went on the city roads with him and it was... fine for all of 5 minuets, and i lost control of the bike and.. needless to say i've tore the skin off of 30% of both hands, spained my wrist, bruised shoulder, cracked my knee and a few other cuts and scrapes. (it was totally worth it)

but since i cant really hold a leash to walk him for a couple of weeks (everytime i do my hands start bleeding again from him pulling), given that my question to you is. any suggestions on how to exercise him?

i dont have a tredmil or anyone around to really walk him reguarly for me, and no fenced in yard for him to run (he destroyed the fenceing around my horse coral)... so im kinda at a loss for ideas here. any help is appriciated.

side note: i think it's time to invest in a walky dog
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 am

My best advice would be to use the ones that you can wrap around your waist to walk the pup. It would definitely help with the bleeding hands issue...
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
My best advice would be to use the ones that you can wrap around your waist to walk the pup. It would definitely help with the bleeding hands issue...

I'd suggest that too

I'm glad you had 5 minutes of fun and hope your wounds heal soon
Back to top Go down
Brandon&Mishka
Newborn
Newborn
Brandon&Mishka

Male Join date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 am

Pictures..? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Hands free leash as has been suggested or hire a dog walker for the time being.

Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 7:53 pm

For temporary measures, you can take a belt to make a hands-free setup while your hands heal. Just loop the leash handle over the belt and strap it around your waist. This is assuming you have a decent quality belt, of course....one that can stand up to a husky. Very Happy

I'm a big WalkyDog fan! If you have any questions please ask.

The only thing you need to watch for when biking them on paved roads is their pads. It works well at keeping the nails trimmed, but the pads will need breaks every few days. Over time I've noticed my pups' pads have gotten tougher, but we still take 2 days off each week at a minimum.

They love biking this way and it's the best way I've found to wear them out for the day.

so i went biking with blu this weekend... 8273096201_0fc907e9e6_c
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Papabear wrote:
For temporary measures, you can take a belt to make a hands-free setup while your hands heal. Just loop the leash handle over the belt and strap it around your waist. This is assuming you have a decent quality belt, of course....one that can stand up to a husky. Very Happy

I'm a big WalkyDog fan! If you have any questions please ask.

The only thing you need to watch for when biking them on paved roads is their pads. It works well at keeping the nails trimmed, but the pads will need breaks every few days. Over time I've noticed my pups' pads have gotten tougher, but we still take 2 days off each week at a minimum.

They love biking this way and it's the best way I've found to wear them out for the day.

so i went biking with blu this weekend... 8273096201_0fc907e9e6_c

thats not a bad idea, however my only good belt was killed by blu when he was younger. however i did find a solution... i rigged up the belt part of my tool belt and have the leash tied to the hammer holster... seems to work well so far.

As for the walky dog stuff, i've checked out the videos they have available on it and it definitely looks like a solid product. however im wondering about two things; pad's or the musher ointment? im kinda tossed up by which would be better for the dog... all i could really find on it was more opinions and not much for solid facts. second question... should i invest in a decent harness for walky dog funsies, and if so which kind would you recommend. i'll leave the questions at that for now.

I have to say that riding with him was so much fun... seeing him run next to me at full speed tounge out, big smile on his face, the wind... such a blast, i haven't had that much fun in a long time... only thing that could have made it better would have been... more huskies lol. unfortunately i have no pictures atm... Sad

I'll give it another go in a month or so once im all healed up.

thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Regarding the harness, I did a pretty hefty review of the Alpine Outfitters Urban Trail harness not too long ago. It's become my favorite harness.

Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

Clm wrote:
however im wondering about two things; pad's or the musher ointment? im kinda tossed up by which would be better for the dog... all i could really find on it was more opinions and not much for solid facts.

i ordered these boots awhile back to use with my 2 year old husky mix when i ride her on the walk dog. i haven't used them yet (just not getting a little warmer outside. they are well made and they are made out of material that is cut resistance
Dog Boots

Papabear wrote:
Regarding the harness, I did a pretty hefty review of the Alpine Outfitters Urban Trail harness not too long ago. It's become my favorite harness.

i have the same harness and love it, so worth the money and the wait time to get it
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 pm

soul embrace wrote:
Clm wrote:
however im wondering about two things; pad's or the musher ointment? im kinda tossed up by which would be better for the dog... all i could really find on it was more opinions and not much for solid facts.

i ordered these boots awhile back to use with my 2 year old husky mix when i ride her on the walk dog. i haven't used them yet (just not getting a little warmer outside. they are well made and they are made out of material that is cut resistance
Dog Boots

Papabear wrote:

i have the same harness and love it, so worth the money and the wait time to get it

thanks, i did place in my order for that harness already (i cant wait for it to get here!) thanks for the suggestion on the booty's... definately going to look into them.

i'll be ordering my walkydog as soon as i can make a decision on weather i want the walkydog or the cycleash... im a very indecisive person, i hate choices lol.
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Clm wrote:
thanks, i did place in my order for that harness already (i cant wait for it to get here!) thanks for the suggestion on the booty's... definately going to look into them.

i'll be ordering my walkydog as soon as i can make a decision on weather i want the walkydog or the cycleash... im a very indecisive person, i hate choices lol.

doesn't look like you could go wrong with either one. i like the quick release on the walk dog better than the pin type on the cycleash to attach it to the piece that's on the bike. i like that the cycleash is made so you can have 2 dogs at the same time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: so i went biking with blu this weekend...   so i went biking with blu this weekend... Empty

Back to top Go down

so i went biking with blu this weekend...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1