It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Aggressive breed?!??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Female Join date : 2013-03-30

breed - Aggressive breed?!?? Empty
PostSubject: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Okay this is going to turn into a little bit of a rant, but I'm at the end of my rope and everyone is tugging on it. Maybe I have the exception to the rule, but does anyone feel like their dog belongs on the "aggressive breed" list. Which BTW, don't even get me started on it but that's a load of BS anyway. "Aggressive and abusive IDIOT owners" should be the real title of that list. But seriously!!! I am not even kidding, someone could come up and shank me, rape me, and steal my shoes and Mila would roll over on her back for a belly rub. I'm so not even kidding. There is no part of her whatsoever that is aggressive or even protective. We are about to have to live in a cardboard box because the few houses that allow pets in the area we are moving to either want an absolute ridiculous pet deposit (literally like $1500-$2500) or they consider her aggressive. My ASS!!!!!! Do I just have the one exception to the rule and the breed does belong on the list or is this as big of a load of crap as I think it is?? Cause I'm about to have a BF on the next house I try to look at and the rental agency tells me she is aggressive. Yep, you got it. Better lookout for that tongue, cause she might just lick you to death with it!! breed - Aggressive breed?!?? 1625187496
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Me and my BF are having the same problem here in Cali. The only houses that we can find are for 25Ibs and under-outside only. Like a 25Ib and under dog should be outside! Evil or Very Mad We've been looking for about 7 months with no luck. Very discouraging. And we will be having 3 "aggressive" breed dogs living in the house. Kale (husky), Nisha (German Shepherd), and Lily (Border/Queensland- cattle dogs in my area are on the dangerous breed list as well...) SO DUMB! I totally feel and understand your frustration. Any dog has the capacity to be aggressive. To pinpoint a specific breed as "aggressive" as a whole is so ridiculous. It's like saying that white people can't live in a certain area in town because they are white...makes no sense. It should be based on each individual case, but people are lazy and don't want to put the time and effort to evaluate potential renters and their dog(s). breed - Aggressive breed?!?? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Ugggghhhhhh!!! Grrrrrrrr rrr grrr Evil or Very Mad SOOO frustrated! And we literally have 48 hours to find a house. We're going up there Sunday and we can't come home without a house. That's what's so stressful is literally we have to have a house, like now. The Army won't come pack our stuff and move it until they have an address of where they are sending it. We've already put in our notice here and we have about 3 weeks to get all this done, and the thing that is stopping me is you think my dog is going to bite somebody?!?!?! Oh no. Oh no no no no. I'm gonna get really nasty on some people because my dog lays in the floor with toddlers and licks them. She wouldn't hurt a fly if it bit her.

A border collie aggressive?!?!?!? Yeah right!! I grew up with a border collie and yeah he would protect us if someone sketchy or dangerous around but he was anything but aggressive! Seriously!!! Oh you can't live here cause you're German. Germans started the Holocaust. Rolling Eyes I have seen some of the most ridiculous pet policies. Most have a 20lb weight limit. Or less than 10 lbs. What's even the point?! That's not even a dog, that's an extra fluffy scarf. Or the people that want an entire month's rent as a pet deposit. $1200 for my pet? DON'T THINK SO! Or my favorite, the ones that specifically say dogs must be crate trained/well behaved/well trained. Seriously?? Is there going to be a test? How are you going to know if my dog is well trained or not? Or crate trained or anything? People need to lighten up about pets, seriously. And believe me I get it. My dad has owned rental houses my whole life so BELIEVE ME I know about tenants. And I know how destructive animals can be. But I also know that you are going to re paint and lay new carpet when we move out anyway, so unless my dog is line-backing through the sheet rock I don't see what the problem is. Grrrrrr. Looks like we're going to be living on base which neither one of us want but we don't have a choice at this point, we literally cannot find a single house that will work.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Their aggressive breed list is ridiculous. I had an apartment once tell me Siberians were on her "aggressive" list....I just laughed at them and left. Seriously I haven't seen too many huskies that aren't happy-go-lucky. The only dogs that are aggressive are the ones that idiots choose to keep chained to a dog house and only see them once a day when they feed them.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:
The only dogs that are aggressive are the ones that idiots choose to keep chained to a dog house and only see them once a day when they feed them.

If they even feed them at all!!! At what point are people going to WAKE UP and realize that breed has NOTHING to do with it, and that the owner and how they are raised and treated has everything to do with it. This is something that really makes me truly angry because thousands and thousands of animals suffer from these owners, and HUNDREDS of thousands of good animal owners and perfectly well behaved and well mannered animals are the ones that really suffer!! It's just like when they start making stricter laws to control the law breakers. Yeah that's a good idea! Let me know how that works out for you. In the meantime, all the people that don't break the law will suffer. Thanks. I mean seriously what is it going to take for people to start taking each animal as an individual and not as a whole? I mean of course every breed is going to have certain characteristics and tendencies, but seriously you can't just lump them all together.

Example: I have been dealing with horses for 11 years. In that 11 years, I have been maliciously attacked ONCE by ONE horse. That horse happened to be a stallion. Do I hate all stallions now and think that they are all aggressive and should all be gelded or killed because that ONE horse attacked me? NO! I think I should have been smarter in the situation and should have handled it differently. I take half the blame for it! There's a horse trainer near me in AL that specializes in Trakenher Stallions. That's all he deals with is stallions, and if you ever saw him at a show in a warm up full of geldings and mares you would never know it. Because he makes his horses behave AT ALL TIMES. I have an immense amount of respect for him and the way that he handles his horses. But he always says you have to take each horse as an individual, you can't generalize them. That is so true, and it is absolutely the same with dogs.

I know alot of the blame goes to the media, and then of course the insurance companies buying into the garbage the media feeds everyone. The media and the insurance companies can kiss my ass on this one. I literally just want to strangle them all!!! So much IGNORANCE!! And then there's all the people that don't care and think animals are just expendable and it doesn't matter if we kill them all because "they're just dogs." UGH!!! Yeah well, you're just an ass hole so that means I can kill you, too, right? I know animals will never be held with the same life value as people, but the amount of ignorance and hatred and just plain STUPID people that have anything to do with or say anything about animals just disgusts me. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:31 pm

While most rental agencies use those lists because that's what their insurer uses... If you can find something privately owned and explain to them, have them meet, or get the dog CGC- you may have better luck. When my ex and I lived in the apartment we had no issues because it was a guy who privately owned the apartment complexes. Just a thought. I know how frustrating it can be Sad

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:40 pm

arooroomom wrote:
While most rental agencies use those lists because that's what their insurer uses...

Stupid insurance companies! My dad was in the insurance business forever, and my step mom has been for over 30 years. I can't stand insurance and the way that it is handled. My step mom is absolutely the jumpiest most paranoid person I have ever met and if you say something to her about it when she's being all paranoid about something, she'll start up with some random "Well this one time 10 years ago there was a guy who tripped over a flower in the middle of a field somewhere and mother nature's insurance company had to pay $800,000,000,000 because he jammed his toe and had to go to the hospital and get it taped." I swear she has the craziest most random stories that I'm just like yeah, that happened once. 20 years ago. And I'm not that stupid. But thanks for the story! Stupid insurance companies.

I'm not sure if we'll have any luck finding anything privately owned.I'm going to keep looking but at this point I honestly don't know why. I'm so tired of looking at houses I think my head is going to explode soon.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Do you have renter's insurance? I deal with a private owner and told him I have the liability covered that way. (which is true for now)
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:49 pm

That's all we've been looking at, privately owned. Sad The "flip" houses are cheaper and seem to be more lenient with dogs in general, but all the people we have talked to and met with are adamant against Kale and Nisha especially (and Nisha is 14 yrs!); No luck in convincing anyone to meet them either... The last guy I talked to on the phone I actually called an ass (like, out loud lol) because he told me I was "ridiculous for having a known aggressive dog in town"... Shocked breed - Aggressive breed?!?? 85993
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm

lol under 10lbs? thats not a dog... hell it's barely a cat.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Maybe you could try putting an ad in CL under housing wanted and just lay it all out in the ad and see if anyone replies. (I am about to do that myself because we are relocating in a few months)
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Eresh wrote:
Do you have renter's insurance? I deal with a private owner and told him I have the liability covered that way. (which is true for now)

We do, we have USAA. I'd have to check the policy but USAA is one of the best places for anything like that, so I imagine it's a good policy. When we got it we didn't have her so I didn't even bother looking for pets and such. That's actually a good point though. Maybe I need to look at that and just tell people that I'll be held responsible for anything, knowing that nothing will ever happen.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:01 pm

hypers987 wrote:
No luck in convincing anyone to meet them either... The last guy I talked to on the phone I actually called an ass (like, out loud lol) because he told me I was "ridiculous for having a known aggressive dog in town"... Shocked breed - Aggressive breed?!?? 85993

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh you're so much nicer than I am! I would have strung a series of words together that he's never heard before and pull out the "yo momma" and found the one thing that he's insecure about and pointed it out as hard as I could. Don't you tell me!!! Oooooohhhhhh.

Clm, yes only dogs >10 lbs are allowed. That's not even a cat, I'm serious that's a scarf.

Eresh, I've been looking on CL. May come down to posting an ad but CL is just so sketchy! I'm scared lol.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I feel you on the renting stuff. When I was looking into renting I saw all the pet policies (never looked at "aggressive" lists though) and everything is under 25lbs. The deposits aren't as bad as what you've listed though. It still sucks.

Clm wrote:
lol under 10lbs? thats not a dog... hell it's barely a cat.
Yeah, my cat weighs 14lbs. That's more than most ankle biters.

lol!

heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:30 pm

There's been SEVERAL houses that I asked about the pet policy and deposit and the deposit was a month's rent. Seriously? you want $1200-$1500 for my dog who doesn't chew, scratch, barrel through walls, have accidents in the house, doesn't smell, and actually doesn't shed as much as you think she does?? Good luck with that dude. Sucks cause there were alot of houses I really liked that were like that. Most are around $250, seems to be the average. Some are $500 per pet, some were like $500 refundable, per pet. Some were like upon owners approval, 50 lb limit, must be crate trained, must sign pet agreement and specific tailored pet contract, must provide first born child, pint of blood, and 14 hair follicles.

But my FAVORITE, is an apt complex near me that actually made all residents submit a stool sample from their dog, so if they find poop on the ground around the complex they can send it off and see who it was and fine them or kick them out. SERIOUSLY?! Y'all have waaayyyyy too much time on your hands. Really.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:49 pm

heather.jane19 wrote:

But my FAVORITE, is an apt complex near me that actually made all residents submit a stool sample from their dog, so if they find poop on the ground around the complex they can send it off and see who it was and fine them or kick them out. SERIOUSLY?! Y'all have waaayyyyy too much time on your hands. Really.

ok now thats just plain weird, i understand being angry because someone is a bad owner and wanting them to clean up after their pet but... just wow, im floored over here, i dont know weather i should laugh or be worried. they definately need to tone it down.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah that was kind of my reaction too. When my friend told me I was like .......April Fool's? Where's Ashton Kutcher, I'm getting Punk'd. It's seriously that big of a problem for y'all that you really find it necessary to take the time and spend the money and send someone else out to pick up poop? It has to be a scare tactic. There's no way. Just...no.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm

I was just thinking about this subject the other night. Everything you read says Huskies are so friendly to everyone and I personally have never heard of anyone getting attacked by a husky. I do not see many huskies in Phx though.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Ah the joys of a PCS. We were very fortunate that we were in a position to buy on this one, even though there is the risk that we won't be able to sell at the end of this tour. That probably won't matter anyway, I'm 99% sure I'm getting out anyway.

Have you used www.ahrn.com or www.militarybyowner.com? I've had really good luck with those, and I had my rental house listed on ahrn when I was managing it myself. Where are you moving? I'm surprised the Army is making you give them an address, the Navy and Air Force will both store your stuff until you give them an address. Have you asked TMO about that? Also, what about base housing? I know of only 2 bases that restrict Huskies, and those are Great Lakes and Beale AFB.

But yeah, BSL in general absolutely sucks, and my "aggressive" husky came to work with me and laid quietly at my feet all day. Good luck.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

breed - Aggressive breed?!?? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:49 pm

I won't say that I won't ever buy, but it will have to be somewhere I know we could/strong possibility to go back to. I know waayy too much about the horrors of renting a house out and I don't even want to deal with that. So buying and then renting it when we leave isn't even an option. I've looked at every house on ahrn.com. We're going to Ft. Jackson in Columbia, SC. Neither one of us want to live on post but we're probably going to have to. I'll check militarybyowner. I called the housing office and she said she didn't even have a house to show us and that it was a 2-6 month wait. I don't believe it would take that long but she doesn't even have a house for us to look at. Ugh, not only is this our first pcs, this is the first time I've ever moved ever. Yaaaaayy Shocked

My Husky flips her lid if I leave her alone (we're working on it, but it's definitely a long process) so she goes everywhere with me. People literally don't even know she's there half the time unless she's passed out smack in plain view. So ridiculous. Yepp she's a real killer alright.
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 pm

I, too, ran into this problem when trying to find an apartment. From reading around I gathered that it was due to improper breed classification. Most strays that are picked up with lots of hair and curled tails are listed as "Huskies". When any are aggressive they just count toward the stats.

I remember reading a study from a university where they tested aggression by dog breed. Some scenario like strangers walking into a room with random dogs from each breed. They found that huskies were the least likely to be aggressive. Unfortunately university studies don't help battle insurance policies.

It's very frustrating and I feel your pain. I got lucky and found a place that takes everything but pit, and I'm staying here until I buy a house. Good rentals with sensible owners are few and far between.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Yeah I had a bunch of people at work comment that they didn't even know Ghost was with me at first because she was so quiet.

When the packers come to get your stuff, make sure you watch them like a hawk, and honestly it would be a good idea to take video or pictures of your stuff as it is now, in case something gets damaged. We had to put in a pretty big claim after this last move, and they're giving me the run around right now trying to tell me that Aaron's carbon frame bike can be repaired. That's the downside of carbon fiber, it actually can't be fixed if it gets cracked but non bike people don't know that.

If you have a good property manager renting out a house isn't bad, and you can claim any expense with the house, including what you pay the manager. That's just something to keep in mind for down the road, I would be hesitant to buy if I were in your position too. Are you guys planning on making it a career or just doing a couple of enlistments and then going someplace else?

Good luck with the waiting list for base housing, you may get lucky and get in something early. I've seen that happen before. If you have any more questions about PCSing and whatnot, please don't hesitate to ask. There are several of us here on the forum who have been in for a while.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 pm

So here's my sarcastic "f you" attitude talking but let's all hold on a minute. Everyone says oh, no "aggressive breeds." Please, do tell me what an "aggressive breed" is. I would love to hear your definition, because I can guarantee you that I can discount your argument 100 different ways to Sunday. And I was the youngest, so I can pick a fight forever and I never get tired. You won't win bro. Just. You won't. So, really. I want to know what an "aggressive breed" is. Just curious.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Papabear wrote:
Most strays that are picked up with lots of hair and curled tails are listed as "Huskies". When any are aggressive they just count toward the stats.

Uggghhhhh this is why we can't have nice things!!! Quit letting ignorant and uneducated people make decisions involving animals! If you don't know, you need to call in someone who does. Ugghh uugghh ugghh! Evil or Very Mad That makes me want to punch a wall!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Honestly, study after study have shown that the small breeds are more likely to be aggressive. The problem is, when a Dachshund bites you it's not going to do as much damage as a German Shepherd or Pit Bull. People are also way more likely to accept bad behavior from smaller dogs because it's "cute". These studies are based on observations where the dogs lunge and snap, unprovoked, at other dogs and humans. You'll find a list that is somewhere along these lines: Dachshunds, Papillons, Jack Russels (my in laws' JRT is satan incarnate and has no kidding tried to kill my cats), Cocker Spaniels, and Chihuahuas. Thanks to media hype and fear mongering, those of us with larger and infinitely more gentle breeds are paying the price.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggressive breed?!??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next