It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Aggressive breed?!??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 pm

heather.jane19 wrote:

We do, we have USAA.

I have USAA too. They really are the best! I never thought about insurance covering the liability. I might need to look into that too.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 pm

USAA rocks for almost everything, though I have found better interest rates for car and home loans elsewhere. Just keep that one in mind for the future Smile I love USAA though.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Female Join date : 2013-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:

When the packers come to get your stuff, make sure you watch them like a hawk, and honestly it would be a good idea to take video or pictures of your stuff as it is now, in case something gets damaged. We had to put in a pretty big claim after this last move, and they're giving me the run around right now trying to tell me that Aaron's carbon frame bike can be repaired. That's the downside of carbon fiber, it actually can't be fixed if it gets cracked but non bike people don't know that.

If you have a good property manager renting out a house isn't bad, and you can claim any expense with the house, including what you pay the manager. That's just something to keep in mind for down the road, I would be hesitant to buy if I were in your position too. Are you guys planning on making it a career or just doing a couple of enlistments and then going someplace else?

Good luck with the waiting list for base housing, you may get lucky and get in something early. I've seen that happen before. If you have any more questions about PCSing and whatnot, please don't hesitate to ask. There are several of us here on the forum who have been in for a while.

Oh believe me I'm packing and taking everything I don't want lost or broken, and I'm crossing my fingers they break the rest so the Army can buy me a new one of everything! *Please break the tv, break the tv pretty pretty please break the tv!!* He doesn't know if he wants to be career or not. Everyone says he will, and honestly unless the opportunity of a lifetime falls in his lap the week before he reenlists then yes he'll be career. Oh and I so feel your pain on the carbon fiber. Please do tell me how you intend on repairing that. My Subaru is similar. Stupid aluminum body, if you sneeze on my car it dents. It can be repaired atleast but it's an arm and a leg and impossible to match the OBP paint unless I take it to Subaru. I'll probably message you at 3 am one night with eleventy questions! Haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:39 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Honestly, study after study have shown that the small breeds are more likely to be aggressive. The problem is, when a Dachshund bites you it's not going to do as much damage as a German Shepherd or Pit Bull. People are also way more likely to accept bad behavior from smaller dogs because it's "cute". These studies are based on observations where the dogs lunge and snap, unprovoked, at other dogs and humans. You'll find a list that is somewhere along these lines: Dachshunds, Papillons, Jack Russels (my in laws' JRT is satan incarnate and has no kidding tried to kill my cats), Cocker Spaniels, and Chihuahuas. Thanks to media hype and fear mongering, those of us with larger and infinitely more gentle breeds are paying the price.

THANK YOU!!! AMEN, HALLELUJERR!!! This is exactly my point. Small dogs are just like ponies. People are scared of the big horses, but when the Budweiser Clydesdales come to town here they stay at a barn right up the road. I always go see them (at the barn, because I can actually touch them there) and those horses would literally crawl in your lap and take a nap if you let them. Sweetest things ever!! Truly gentle giants. Give me a horse whose hoof is bigger than my face any day. Give me a 12hh pony and I'm going to run for my life or show up with a baseball bat to protect myself. No. Joke. affraid

You're exactly right, I was just telling my friend just that the other day. That small dogs bite more, they could bite 100 people and nobody would hear a thing about it. One large dog bites one ass hole that deserves it and somebody has to call Katie Couric and the Pope and the President and everybody. Just because the large dog did more damage. GRRRRRRR!!!!! This sersiously makes me angry. That's always been my point I just haven't gotten on my soap box yet. I try not to because I usually get all worked up for days. Can I go on youtube like Sweet Brown and kick some sense into the entire population of morons that we're surrounded by???? Please!! bounce
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 pm

The Navy "lost" one of my TV's 2 moves ago, but the company just paid me for it. We're going to have to replace that bike frame, the crack is in a place where if Aaron is on it and hits a bump, the seat and chain stays will both buckle and will throw him from the bike. It can't be fixed. I'll get someone involved if I have to, but we will be paid back for this one.

Fire away on the questions, please. I'm usually up fairly early on weekdays, but hopefully I'll be on a slightly later schedule for the summer.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Yeah that's no good. Love arguing with people that don't know anything about what you're talking about but they insist they are right. Bro! No. You're not.
I knew a lady whose husband was career and the army always moved them. She said they lost and broke stuff all the time but she never said she had a problem with them paying her.

I don't have a question yet but I'm sure it'll hit me the next night that I can't sleep cause we have a million things to do in about 5 days to move. Shocked
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:51 pm

I've actually been kicking around the idea of creating a military section in the off topics forum because we do have quite a few members who are military. That way those of us who have been around a while can answer questions about moving, housing, career stuff, etc and it's all consolidated in one area. I'm trying to get a list of bases that ban Huskies too, but so far (thankfully) I've only found two. I think I'll go do that now Smile

And yes, I loathe arguing with people who think they know what they're talking about but in reality don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Well we're here at Benning and there's sooo many Huskies. Wolf hybrids are banned here and something else but not a whole lot. I can't account for anywhere else though. I was born and raised here and am finally blowing this popsicle stand!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Wolf hybrids are banned DoD wide, as are pits, pit mixes, rottweilers, dobermans, and I think a couple others. You can google it and find out base specifics. BSL makes me sad.

Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Honestly, study after study have shown that the small breeds are more likely to be aggressive. The problem is, when a Dachshund bites you it's not going to do as much damage as a German Shepherd or Pit Bull. People are also way more likely to accept bad behavior from smaller dogs because it's "cute". These studies are based on observations where the dogs lunge and snap, unprovoked, at other dogs and humans. You'll find a list that is somewhere along these lines: Dachshunds, Papillons, Jack Russels (my in laws' JRT is satan incarnate and has no kidding tried to kill my cats), Cocker Spaniels, and Chihuahuas. Thanks to media hype and fear mongering, those of us with larger and infinitely more gentle breeds are paying the price.

You are VERY right on this!!! A lady had been attacked by her pom. Her face was bitten off!!! There was another time a baby was killed by one many years ago! I don't understand why they are on the aggressive list. They are NOT watchdogs.... It says it very clear on the breeds information do not buy one if you are looking for a watchdog. And what everyone says....they will lick you to death!!!! I am sorry you are going thru this. I hope you find something fast!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:58 pm

I know of at least 2 instances in the last few years of JRTs mauling infants to death, because they were left in carriers on the floor. People are idiots and don't think about what they're doing, but then can't take responsibility when something bad happens. The dogs are just scapegoats for people who make bad decisions, and it's unfair.

Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:11 am

I will keep my husky over a JRT any day! I can not stand small breeds. They think just because they are small they can not hurt anyone. BS!!! I didnt even know that huskys where on this list till I read this and had to look it up. They say huskies are very large breed... excuses me... my 4 month old is only 24 pounds, yes they have a high prey drive, yes they are high energy but so are a lot of dogs .. But none of these says they are killers except the squirrels in my backyard... I couldn't believe what people are saying about this breed. I am honestly shocked and sad on how educated these people are. breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 am

I knew a JRT that attacked his owner while he slept, and he had to get a lot of stitches on his lip/face. He also had severe issues with food aggression. Then the dog jumped out of the window of a moving car to chase down and kill a cat that was in someone's yard.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 am

amychuke wrote:
They say huskies are very large breed... excuse me...

Umm....no....they are considered a medium breed I thought. Idiots.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

I'm just really tired of how uneducated everyone is about animals in general, but especially dogs because of situations like this. This is so why we can't have nice things!! All the good people have to suffer because we're surrounded by idiots. I'm sure half of these houses want a $1200 nonrefundable deposit because someone had a crackhead dog that destroyed the place and now everyone that follows has to pay the price. Only dogs less than 10 lbs? HELLO! Say goodbye to your carpet!! It's small dogs that pee on the floor! I had to educate my step mom about that because she lets her son bring his stupid pom puppy in the house and she pees on the floor every time and the stupid thing pees on my step mom!! But I had to leave my dog outside until I could promise that she wasn't going to pee on the floor. SERIOUSLY?! It's small dogs that pee on the floor! I can't STAND little dogs. It's just really ridiculous the way that people look at dogs. Everyone's views and thoughts about dogs are so distorted and very very incorrect. This is why in Colorado they were knocking on people's doors and taking their Pit Bulls and killing them. An entire breed is going to be mass murdered because people get these dogs and abuse the shit out of them and then teach them how to fight each other to the death? Why are the DOGS (innocent and victims) being killed over this?! Why aren't the ABUSIVE OWNERS being strung up by their toenails and Chinese water tortured with bleach? And especially why are dogs that never hurt a fly being killed over it?! And then there's people like my stupid aunt who says "kill them all." (The Pit Bulls) Really??? Sooo IGNORANT! Why are we killing dogs!? Why can't we kill all the stupid people!!!!!!!! They're the ones polluting the Earth and dumbing down our population by 100 IQ points by breeding with other stupid people and having idiot kids who breed with other idiots and now we're just overrun by STUPIDIOTS!! That's what we get! Stupidiots! And we're killing the DOGS??? WHY?!?!?!?!?! Even if some dogs are dumb (bless their hearts) they still don't diminish my quality of life and prevent me from having nice things! NOT TO MENTION all these people with small dogs that are aggressive and nobody cares! Why aren't we killing them? If we can kill Pit Bulls that are someone's family pet that never hurt anyone, why can't we kill JRT because they kill babies?? Ooooohhhhhh!! This is soooo f*ed up!!! I'm gonna write a letter!!!

Well.. I tried to stay off my soapbox. I failed. Too late...
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Is there a reason you can't stay in base housing? We have 2 huskies and stay in Santo terrace. They are 4 plexes but extremely nice and have pretty good sized yards. Granted they take all your BAH but in San Diego you're not going to find a place that will take pets for less than BAH so it works out.

It's part of Lincoln Military Housing http://www.lincolnmilitary.com/lmh/installations/san_diego/index.cfm

All of the housing in Murphy Canyon will allow 2 pets , dogs and or cats. You can look at the hotsheet linked on the website and see what the availability is. It's not as much as there was before b/c once of the aircraft carriers just got transfered down here, but there are always new housing openings. Give them a call, they do allow Huskies.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm

There's not really a reason other than we don't want to. It's looking like we're going to end up there anyway. Ft. Jackson allows Huskies, and on Monday I'll be seeing about getting on the wait list. Hopefully either we can get in or we can find a house in time. We have about a month.

Oh and thanks for the links! But we're Army Smile We have Balfour Communities. Balfour allows two pets also but my friend that lives on base here says nobody checks it and everyone breaks the rules. They all have way more than 2 and they have all the "dangerous" breeds. However she doesn't live in Balfour housing, she lives in older housing so I'm not so sure how right she is. I just don't want to get kicked out for getting another dog cause we also have a cat.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:35 pm

BACK ON THE SOAPBOX!!!

So I just talked to my Dad who is both a landlord and insurance agent (err, used to be. His wife is currently) and he said that IN GEORGIA, I'm sure it's different in other states, but in Georgia if a landlord acknowledges that their tenant has a pet in any way; i.e., pet deposit, agreement, knowledge that the pet is there, and that pet bites anyone ANYWHERE, not just on their property. They could be 10 states away or up their ass, it doesn't matter. If the pet attacks anyone anywhere the landlord is responsible. Renter's insurance will not release them of this responsibility. "Aggressive Breeds" are named by insurance companies based on statistics. So ONCE AGAIN, all the STUPIDIOTS ruin it for the rest of us. I'm so mad right now I can't even see straight or form a complete sentence. This is absolutely the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard and I'm going to have to live in my truck because some stupid ass hole that has never even met my dog is convinced that she's going to maul all the neighbors and he is going to be responsible for it. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid!!!!!!!!!!! This is exactly why we can't have nice things! I'm gonna write a letter!! Not that it will do any good but dammit you can't say I didn't try!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 pm

We went with base housing. We didn't have a dog at the time we had moved out here but my hubby was set on living in housing (even though I told him we could get something smaller for cheaper lol.) Anyways, I checked the breed lists before we got Karli and there is a restriction here on pits and german shepards, that's it. BUT, they don't ever check. Like, sure, I registered Karli with Forest City, but if I hadn't, they wouldn't have ever known that she was here. There is a couple down the street who not only has two pits, but BRED them and has PUPPIES!!! I'm considering calling Forest City on them. And there are a couple shepards here too (and I have nothing against either breed, in fact we had considered a pit first but because they were on the ban list went with a husky.) So to be honest, housing sounds like your best bet.

Our movers were really nice guys when they came and got our stuff. Ours was the first in the truck and the last dropped off. But yes, we took everything with us that we could that we didn't want broken. I really hope this works out for you. Out here, a lot of dogs end up in the shelter because their owners can't take them with them (off the top of my head there were two nine yr old goldens that couldn't go to Japan with their owners.) Ignorant people hurt our dogs.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 pm

Yeah it's pretty much down to that. Hopefully it's not too bad and we get a decent house with non-crappy neighbors. Just curious, how long did it take the movers to get your stuff there? Well, and how far did you go? We're just going to the next state, 5 hours away. But if we're first on the truck I'm sure it will still take a while.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 pm

It took them a week, we went from San Diego, CA to Oak Harbor, WA. It took about four hours to box our stuff up and then they took a week to get it all there.

And if you're in housing, you might end up living near people your hubby works with. That's what happened to us so we have some pretty good neighbors.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Oh wow I figured you were going to say a month! Well hopefully it won't take too long then.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I hate being around people he works with, I'm not really a crowd favorite. If I open my mouth I offend people but if I don't talk I'm stand-offish. I can't win for losing. I just prefer to not be around them at all if I can help it.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:02 pm

The thing that worked for me was the spouse calls and spouse's nights we had. I got to meet the other wives (there's only one husband lol) and get to know them, and we meet up with our dogs at the dog park in housing. Having dogs really helps to break the ice! Plus that way you would be able to put faces to the names of the people's he talks about. Housing really isn't as bad as you think and most of the neighbors I don't know pretty much keep to themselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive breed?!??   breed - Aggressive breed?!?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggressive breed?!??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2