It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When should i try letting my pup out with no leash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RootheRoo
Newborn
Newborn

off leash - When should i try letting my pup out with no leash Empty
PostSubject: When should i try letting my pup out with no leash   off leash - When should i try letting my pup out with no leash EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Have a 8 month and completely amazing girl that i adopted less than a week ago. Not sure exactly how to go about getting her to stick around with no leash or when the best time would be to try it. Any info would help, thanks
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: When should i try letting my pup out with no leash   off leash - When should i try letting my pup out with no leash EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Huskies are not an off leash breed outside of secure fenced areas. Though there will be people that will tell you it is possible, it is risking losing your dog. Huskies are bred to run, have relatively low homing instincts, and are truly loyal to no one. Pair this with inherit prey drive you are asking for trouble. It is not worth the risk of losing your dog, keep your Siberian on lead when outside of fenced areas-

Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When should i try letting my pup out with no leash   off leash - When should i try letting my pup out with no leash EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:57 pm

You shouldn't be trying this any time soon. When you first adopt a dog, they aren't really being themselves. They are very shy and are going to do anything and everything to make sure they stay on your good side. Most adopted dogs' personalities don't come out until at least 5 months after you adopt them. I'm not saying she is going to turn into the she-devil of all dogs, but she could be a LOT more husky crazy and stubborn then she is right now. Just give her time to come out of her shell, then you can make a better judgement. It is also normally advised not to let them off until AFTER their teenage phase. They are very cunning and will earn your trust, then take off in the blink of an eye..and they know what they are doing.

Now you REALLY shouldn't be doing this anytime soon if you don't know how to go about it. Recall training is something that needs to be taken very seriously. It takes not only months of training, but possibly years. There are lots of VERY informational threads on how to teach recall training, just use the search bar and you'll find lots of them.

Honestly though, I don't ever suggest letting your girl off leash. There are people on here who let their dogs off leash, but they have put in countless hours and training sessions with their dogs to achieve this feat. You can't be half committed to recall training. You need to be ALL in this training and NEVER slip up. Huskies are born runners and born hunters. They get this thing called "sled head". When they slip into this state, they are almost impossible to get through to.

So, all in all. Search through these threads to find all the recall training ones and TAKE THEM TO HEART!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: When should i try letting my pup out with no leash   off leash - When should i try letting my pup out with no leash EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 pm

I agree with the above.

I am one of the few that has trained with my dog to trained off-leash, however I only do it on certain areas and even then its taking a risk.

I would not recommend you doing this anytime soon, specially since you just got her.
Back to top Go down
RootheRoo
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: When should i try letting my pup out with no leash   off leash - When should i try letting my pup out with no leash EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 pm

I understand, thanks alot i just was not sure because i heard some different things, but she is a very happy dog. she has much more space to be outside here, i keep her on the leash and we run through the field, she is already so fast and agile but she is clumsy when she gets really excited. I can tell they are very instinct based dogs so i can imagine if she has the chance to run off into the woods she will which would absolutely break my heart, but anyways thanks alot i really appriciate the input
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When should i try letting my pup out with no leash   off leash - When should i try letting my pup out with no leash Empty

Back to top Go down

When should i try letting my pup out with no leash

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1