It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A few questions about shedding...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

A few questions about shedding... Empty
PostSubject: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 am

So this is one of those things that you can read about all you want but can never really comprehend until you experience it. I'm going to try anyways though, exactly how much do huskies shed? I've read that they shed a lot all year round and blow their coat twice a year. I'm not exactly sure that my parents would want a fur infestation so my second question is how much time would I have to spend cleaning up all that fur? (they don't mind a little bit so I wont have to go crazy cleaning up every strand of fur I see, I just don't think they want a sea of fur on their clothes and furniture). Also how often would I have to brush a husky's coat? The answers I've seen online vary too much, some say everyday, others say once a week, and others say that you don't really need to brush them until they're blowing their coat. Finally do I need to take a husky to a groomer at all? I know that it's definitely a nice thing to do, but is it necessary?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:26 am

I brush Karli every day. My hubby is a hair freak, he hates it. So she usually gets brushed twice a day because I'll do it then he does it. We only vacuum once a week, but she hasn't blown yet either. Its also not an exact science as to how often or when they'll blow. Karli hasn't blown yet so I haven't been through that yet. I also haven't taken her to a groomer's since I've had her, but I plan on doing it when she blows to get most of the fur off. There is going to be a lot of hair all over your clothes, a lint roller may help, but eventually you just get used to the fur.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am

I see, a lint roller might be a nice investment (I don't really mind the fur but like I said I'm not sure if my parents would approve too much). I should also probably get another brush in advance to get all the fur out, thanks for the advice! ^_^
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!

I think is our longest running Coat Blowing discussion with some decent pictures to get an idea of what to expect.

Those two blows a year can be over fast or last a month+. Depends on a lot of stuff. I generally give them a bath around that time of year to help get some of the fur out. A random skunk attack gave me all the more reason this year.

It generally just poors out of them and doesn't seem to stop.

Normal shedding I don't even notice anymore, though I'm aware it is around, and on my clothes 90% of the time.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Oh wow that's a lot! Well I guess I should stock up on vacuum and garbage bags then. Although this does give me an idea as to how hard one would have to work to keep their fur from getting too far (this means war, I hope that the swarms of hair are ready to meet their demise as soon as it sheds off Razz ) I obviously wont be able to keep the house squeaky clean, but then again it normally isn't like that anyways. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Back to top Go down
Air Wolf
Newborn
Newborn
Air Wolf

Male Join date : 2013-04-03

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Akira blows her coat twice a year and when not blowing i can barely find a hair in my house. Havent had Loki long enough to know his routine. I brush them once a week. Huskys dont need to be taken to a goomer unless u just dont have the time to brush and bathe them. They def dont get hair cut's. Their coat keeps them cool same way it keeps them warm. (insulation) and thier skin is very fair and would sunburn easily. Kudo's for learning about the breed before being owned by one.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Blaze blows his coat twice a year this last blow last along time I think it was mainly due to the weather going back and forth between warm and cold. The rest of the time he doesn't shed much.

Now Kerian is a different story she seems to shed all the time and still blow her coat twice a year she has longer hair than Blaze is the only reason I think it is different.

I will take them to the groomer when they are blowing just to get most of the hair out they also usually need a bath about that time.

I end up vacuuming alot more because Kerian is digger and comes in the house with dirty paws after laying on the floor for an hour or so I have a dirty floor and a clean dog lol!

Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

@Air Wolf: I see, so it's really not that bad until they blow their coat? I think my parents could live with that. I'd also be able to bathe and brush a husky on a constant basis since I'm almost always home, I was thinking about once or twice a week so I'm glad to hear that it can work out like that (although I would never let their hair get cut ever). Thanks!

@ljelgin: I see. I might take them to a groomer once a year or something. Nothing too fancy though, if I wanted super fancy I'd be getting a poodle. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Koda has been loosing his puppy coat for the past 2months its seems like its never ending.. I have hair all over my car and my room and my clothes... I just want it to give me a break till his first big blow!!! Lol hahaha
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh my, that does sound pretty terrible! I'll have to keep them away from my parents room when they shed. otherwise I'll be in for a very unpleasant laundry day/week/month! D:
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Bodhi blows his coat twice a year.
The one in spring is the worst.
We usually have him groomed then, last week this year.
We brush him a couple times a week and bathe him probably once season, unless he gets especially muddy.
Every dark piece of wool or fleece clothing I own has husky fur on it!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah, coat blowing season is no joke. Sheba is FINALLY getting ready to let go of her puppy coat, and just scratching her belly I can get a fur ball the size of her head. There is fur everywhere. In my food, on my dishes, in my clothes, in my hair, on the furniture, on the bed, in the closet.... No space is safe from coat blowing seasons LOL.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Oh dear, well I guess I'll be on super cleaning duty twice a year then. :c
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:48 pm

AMB wrote:
Oh dear, well I guess I'll be on super cleaning duty twice a year then. :c

More like all year Razz
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Right, I forgot about the all year shedding thing for a moment. >.<

I think I'll be able to get my parents to deal with it though, it's not like we're neat freaks...
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm

You know what they say... They shed twice a year, six months at a time lol!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 pm

you only have 2 options, one clean every single day to be fur free and lose your mind,or you give up and let the hair bunnies roll around and clean up once a week and not care that everything you own has husky hair on it, even the clean stuff out of the dryer lol!

glade you asking questions now. since your still young i hope your parents are on board and that you are truthfully sharing all that is the truth about huskies with them!

Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Yeah I have a plan to break everything to them once I've got everything organized (I've found out the hard way that they tend to be much more docile about these sort of things when I already have everything worked out and they have minimal work to put in). Right now I'm still sorting everything out so they only really know that I want a husky and am willing to do most/all of the financial and physical work involved. I know this sounds rather secretive like the CIA or something, but I'll definitely sit down and talk to them about all this before getting a puppy (hopefully "the talk" will be brimming with useful information for them and I'll be prepared to answer any questions they have on the spot, which is another reason why I'm here). I like to consider myself to be an honest person and although I do stretch the truth sometimes, I intend to leave nothing a secret for too long from them.

Anyways I'm certainly not going to lose my mind over this by clean up like crazy every day. Although I'll still probably end up vacuuming daily, just to keep the place semi-clean...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:23 pm

if your parents still have questions send them our way we love to help Smile and good for you doing all your detective work before you talk with them! try to see if there is a husky meet up group in your area, not sure if there is a husky huddle malamute mingle (on FB) where you are. it would be good to see them in action and talk to the owners!

Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Okay thanks, I'll be sure to reference you guys as a good source of information if they want to learn more/I can't answer all their questions. I did a quick check on this site and there doesn't seem to be any meet up groups here where I live (come on guys, we live right next to Uconn. There should be plenty of husky owners around here, right? D: ) Also this is a bit embarrassing, but I don't have a facebook account. Twitter? Sure! Youtube? Why not? But facebook never really stuck to me as a site I would see myself using often (also my mom hates it like there's no tomorrow :/ ). Although I can't use FB as a resource I'll still check around and see if I can find any husky owners nearby, possibly even starting a husky hangout here for people in the CT/MA/RI area if I'm allowed to. Anyways thanks for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Loki is going through his first blow (that I know of, It is his first one with me) I brush him every night after his training session. He has been blowing since Feb. and is just now almost done. Everything has fur on it in my room. Cleaned or not, on the floor. In my clothes. All over my bed. On my pillows. On the clean clothes coming out of the dryer. Laughing Once his blow is over he barely sheds at all. So once he is done it is time for deep cleaning then I should be good until fall (hoping). I think the shedding varies per the husky, and that is why you hear so many different things! Some shed all year, some 3 times a year, some 2, some 1, some not really at all. So, you will just have to hope your lucky on the puppy you get! Razz
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm

LokiTheHusky wrote:
Loki is going through his first blow (that I know of) I brush him every night after his training session. He has been blowing since Feb. and is just now almost done. Everything has fur on it in my room. Cleaned or not, on the floor. In my clothes. All over my bed. On my pillows. On the clean clothes coming out of the dryer. Laughing Once his blow is over he barely sheds at all. So once he is done it is time for deep cleaning then I should be good until fall. I think the shedding varies per the husky, and that is why you hear so many different things! Some shed all year, some 3 times a year, some 2, some 1, some not really at all. So, you will just have to hope your lucky on the puppy you get! Razz

Haha yeah I hope that the puppy I get doesn't shed too much, although I'll still love him no matter what (yes, it sounds mushy and I do feel weird being a guy and saying this, but whatever Razz ). Thanks for the tips!
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 pm

AMB wrote:
I'll still love him no matter what (yes, it sounds mushy and I do feel weird being a guy and saying this, but whatever Razz ). Thanks for the tips!

No worries I think it is a Guy and his dog sort of thing. Razz Not weird at all!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Hehe I hope so, although I'm still new to this. So currently I think I'm just infected with the Puppy Syndrome Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about shedding...   A few questions about shedding... Empty

Back to top Go down

A few questions about shedding...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1