It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Off the topic of Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

Off the topic of Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 pm

ok, I have a 9 year old Siamese / Calico mix cat. I adopted her threw the SPCA. Anyways... I have always had her outside. She hates it inside. Only time I would bring her in is if the weather was really bad. Well the past couple of months my neighbor was starting to feed her. Thought she was a stray. Even though she had on a collar with tags. Pretty much stole my cat. Well one day she came home to eat (because they were out of town) and her collar was gone and there was a flea collar on her. WTF?!?!!? So I wrote on the flea collar this is my cat she has a home! Well the lady wrote me a horrible letter stating i don't take care of my cat because she is outside and I should be ashamed of myself. I am a person who should have been born with a filter. But I didn't. So I wrote her a letter back explaining the best and nicest way I could about my cat (my cat is NOT the only one roaming around the neighborhood BTW) and she picks on me for whatever reason. So I keep my cat in the bedroom most of the time and to me that is pure tur torment to her. Well occasionally I will let her out and she will go back to the neighbors house. So he will bring her back (like just now) and tell me she is crying at the door wanting food. Well there is a bowl of food right there full!!! with water. I pointed out and said I have water and food right here. He ignored me and kept on. I am at my ends with these people. They are sooooo rude!!! What would you do? I cant kept her roaming the house because of the 2 dogs and my roommate is highly allergic. So she is kept in my bedroom all day! She crys and crys and crys to go outside. What would you do??

Man I got a lot of drama going on right now with my animals!!! Off the topic of Huskies 1347041234
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 am

I think its cruel to keep a cat cooped up inside 100% of the time. You should try training her stay inside unless the its day time and the weather is nice. My cat Turkey gets really depressed when she has to stay in all the time, but she is trained to stay in at night and days with bad weather. She's allowed outside when the weather is nice and it's day time, and she actually prefers that now.

Does she have a rabies shot? She shouldn't be out all night without one. She also needs protection from fleas. As far as the neighbors go, I would be as diplomatic as possible to avoid any further drama. Say that you understand their concern, but you are seeing to it that she is healthy and happy. Maybe you should try a different food? It sounds like she doesn't like what you're feeding her?

Is giving her up to the neighbors an option at all? Turkey actually doesn't live with me anymore because my Fiance is allergic. She stays with family and I make sure to visit her every week. I still love her and think of her as mine but she is better off where she is now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 am

She loves everyone. She is the kind of cat that will go to who ever gives her attention at that moment (i am pretty sure that is every cat lol ). Yes she has all of her shots, I have changed her food to blue buffalo, i had her on the crappy stuff. I honestly would never give her to them. They tried to steal her away from me when there no necessary action that needed to be made. They are very mean to me and Micole when we go on our walks. Example: Micole tried to play with their dog, they pulled the dog away from Micole and told him don't you dare go near her.... Like she was a disease or something. At this point I am questioning of giving her away because of the issues I am having. But that is probably going t be the most hardest thing I would be able to do. So I am trying to find a different way before I go this route.

Her old routine was out during the day at night or during storming conditions she had a way to get into the garage. I have a side doggie door she knows how to use. Never had a problem the past....7 years. Now these past couple of months since they started to feed her.
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:32 am

First thing I would do is get her Micro-chipped. I micro-chipped my 2 Black cats since.. well they're black and if they got out there's tons of black cats around - If i were to put up missing fliers.. I'd get dozens of responses. Also micro-chipped out gray cat after he cost us a $2,600 vet bill and needs special food & meds. If my cats ever get out, I know my one neighbor that has a ton of animals can't claim them as his since I'm sure he has no clue what he has.

My 3 cats have been indoor-only from young ages since we live on a busy main road - and a couple houses down has a LOT of outdoor cats (and frequently running loose - a intact mean mark-happy male chihuahua, and chickens, and 2 huge fancy turkeys one year) they let their cats everywhere, unfixed, many mangy kittens running around, with worms, ear mites, fleas and some of them serious medical problems. Very common to see one of his cats and many chickens hit by a car and the chihuahua has been hit 3 times that I know of, they had a previous chihuahua that got into another neighbor's yard and fought with their dog.. and lost. They also had a maltese for a bit but that got hit and killed too.

Anyhow.. I feel much more at ease with my animals all being Micro-chipped.

I've seen people on TV that make little screened-in porch-like structures for their cats.. kinda like a dog run. If you're able.. you could maybe set up something like that - a cat enclosure outside the garage where the doggy door can lead to it. Otherwise, maybe she would be happier indoors if you set up some cat-safe plants and shelves/ catwalk for her in the room.

Here's a site with links to "Cat-Enclosure" websites:
http://www.paws.org/outdoor-cat-enclosures.html

Some Cat Enclosure "Catios" pictures:

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=681&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbnid=vkDvc3ByzmnuKM:&imgrefurl=http://www.catiodesigns.com/hello-world&docid=usbjSu7IU6Pl5M&imgurl=http://www.catiodesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Cat-encl-complete-2.jpg&w=1280&h=960&ei=2D2cUYqzEK2w4APU6YHwCQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:3,s:0,i:171&iact=rc&dur=776&page=1&tbnh=179&tbnw=259&start=0&ndsp=16&tx=119&ty=84

Last edited by Mink on Wed May 22, 2013 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:39 am

She is mirco chipped, spca in houston will not allow any animals out of there shelter unless they have one. Thank you I will look into the enclosed. That's not a bad idea. I wouldn't be able to set up a room just for her like that. Both dogs stay in the bedroom with me and they don't like each other very much. Her roaming the house late at night is out of the question as well because roommate has really bad allergies. So intill he move out hopefully very soon.... I can make those arrangments but till then I am srewed.
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:50 am

That's good, since she is Micro-chipped, worse come to worse you could call some official - animal control or something perhaps? and report your cat stolen .. all they have to do is scan her Micro-chip and they should see you listed as her owner when they look up the ID number.
I mean, it could still get complicated but you are able to prove she is yours. ^_^

I really want a cat-enclosure "catio" myself someday, lol. I think any cat would love it.

Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 1:03 am

I just feel like she should have something more to do with her time. After this no more cats lol I'll just make my husky family larger.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:23 am

You might not like my thoughts, but if she prefers it at the neighbors and is being well cared for by the neighbor then why not talk to them about transferring ownership over to them in the interest of keeping the cat happy.

Sounds like the cat prefers their food, and if they don't have dogs maybe even prefers their house, who knows. Just seems like you can't go wrong if they want the cat and obviously care about it, and will promise to take care of its needs (shelter, food, water, veterinary care).

Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:26 am

So every time she feeds one of my animals and steals my cat i should just let her take it? I can't do that. That woman had no right feeding a animal that she knew that had a home. I have had my cat a long time and I can't just give her up just because my dogs don't like her. To me I would give up the dogs before the cat. I had the cat longer. Is that fair heck no. I don't give up any of my animals. I will make it work I'm just stuck and wanted to see if anyone had any good advise on what to do. It would kill me to see my cat go to anyone. Will I get another cat after this.... heck no lol No more cats for me. All dogs for now on....
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:39 am

I'm going to be honest here. When you have an outdoor cat, you run the risk of something like this happening. Just like you run the risk of it getting hit by a car or attacked by a wild animal. You think it's cruel to keep it cooped up? I think that if you are taking those risks, you also have to deal with the consequences.

I really am not trying to attack your personal decisions here. I am also definitely not saying that you don't care for your cat because it's outside. I get that you are upset and I probably would be too. But those things come with the territory of having an outdoor cat.

Regardless, I'm sorry that you have such a nasty neighbor. I wish you luck with dealing with her and hopefully you can come to some sort of resolution.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Do you not have leash laws in your city/state? I know that every place I've lived whether it was WA, FL, or SC we have leash laws and pets are legally not allowed to roam outside of your private property without being on a lead or physically restrained in some way. Cats roaming the neighborhood is illegal every place I have lived, is that not the case where you live?

Honestly, if you don't want to give up the cat then you're just going to have to find a way to keep it confined to your personal property only. My next door neighbor let's her cats out on the secure, screened in patio to be "outside" but won't let them out to roam the neighborhood. Perhaps a fenced in run outside like a dog kennel with a secure top so that the cat can be outside without the ability to leave your property.

If your cat is as miserable as you describe being cooped up in a bedroom is that really fair to the cat? I prefer to put my personal feelings aside and do what is best for the animal which was why I made my previous suggestion in the first place that's all. If the cat would be happier and live a fuller, better life with someone else then keeping it just because one doesn't believe in rehoming or because you don't like that someone else decided to take care of your cat because you let it roam wherever it pleased doesn't seem to compute in my head. To me the issue is not how to make life bearable until the cat is longer around, but what is the best thing for the cat overall. Of course I can see that because of the fighting between you and the neighbor that rehoming with them would never be an option even if you were ever willing to rehome. Anyway, just wanted you to see where I was coming from when I suggested rehoming, it was not at all about rewarding them for how they handled things. And FWIW, my mother in law feeds all cats that come to her house for food, in addition to her own cats. She's just a do-gooder and feeds strays and cats with homes alike. If peoples' cats are roaming the neighborhood then I think the owner relinquishes the right to be upset if someone else feeds their pet. If you don't want others to feed your cat, don't let them roam.

Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Our last cat and recently our newest kitten where indoor out door cats as we called them they spent most or their days outside came in only if my mother was home(he wont come in for me cause I swat back when I get clawed and clawing me is his favorite past time)and they would come in for the night. We let them make the decision to go out didnt force it or only prevented it until they were a little bigger they always wanted to go out when the dogs went out. We had people feed our last cat that so often that we stopped buying food besides he hunted and fed himself, we didnt have a problem with it. If someone wants to feed the cat be my guest just means i dont have to in my opinion, but taking the cat is another thing entirely especially if there are tags on him! We didnt even bother with tags on ours everyone knew where ollie belonged and would tell him to go home, ying is similiar now they just hiss at him or tell him to scram but he stays right around the house here. I understand leash laws and all and it is a risk cat people take to allow cats out unteathered but feel cats would do worse being teathered outside we tried it once and our cat practically straggled itself with the leash. An enclosed area would be nice but isnt practical for some people or even allowed in some places, we lived in a remanufactured home ( mobile home) with the last cat and do again now with this cat and we are not permitted to put enclosures up or do enclosed porchs anymore. Theres no way we could do anything for the cat to keep it outside but conifine, and if we leash it like the dogs ying would most likely strangle himself, i dont want to explain to my mother that i put the cat out and when i went to get him he was hanging sorry mom i accidentally killed your cat. We take the risk of him being loose outside rather then that and having destruction in the house because he wants to chase bugs outside. People in my opinion have no right to try claiming your cat, i can see be aggravated that the cat goes to their door all the time but they could also scare him off instead of encouraging the behavior by feeding and giving all the attention. We've had a few cats try coming to our home and we will bark at them hiss yell make loud noises to prevent them coming cause the other alternative is the dogs noticing and killing them. I would look into a cat enclosure like the others said though, if you can like i said we arent allowed, but at least he is microchipped to you and if anything happens maybe another neighbor could say he is yours not theirs.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 2:25 pm

I understand that if I let my cat outside that people will feed her, can hit her by a car, dog can attack it.... But after all these years I am just now having an issue is what blows my mind away. Like what was stated above no one has the right to feed any animal with tags. Lets just say your dog got out of his back yard... I find him even though he has tags I am going to go ahead and keep him. Without saying a word. Is that any different from the cat? No! you're still stealing!! If I let my cat free roam or not she still belongs to someone. I am so shocked that most of you don't see this as stealing a pet that has tags!! Removing my tags so she can place her own collar on her?!!?!?!?! I understand you all have your opinions and by all means if honestly set all feelings aside if she came to me said omg I love her cat. I know you just got a puppy and that can be a handful are you interested in giving your cat up? Honestly yes I probably would say here ya go! But no she went all wrong about it. if I wanted to give up my cat I wouldnt give it to someone who hates me... Yes, she hates me. Me and the boyfriend have actually done a lot for her. example... I have a rock walk way in my back yard. I was removing the rocks to put down new ones. I put all the rocks on the side of my house till heavy trash day. She came over and told me if I didn't give her my rocks she was going to call the city on me because it was out of code violation ... really? I gave her my rocks. I moved them all for her too! No one else has a problem with me at all. Everyone that sees me coming down the road comes outside so they can play with Micole. She tells her dog to hurry inside so my dog will not touch her. She is just evil. The end... No there is no leash law in my city. That I know of. If there was I am sure she would have called them on me already. But as of right now Mable (cat) is in the house. As of right now i let her free roam the house when we are asleep and the dogs are put away. She still hates it but she is getting used to it. She goes back into the bedroom during the day and loves the closet for some reason ... Yes I could build a dog run kind of thing in my backyard that would work. I didnt think about that till someone posted about the thing I could attach to my house. I think that would be so funny to see a cat on a leash... has anyone ever actually did that? and have pictures bahahahahaha I would like to see that lol Thank you all for your opinions I really do appreciate them all. I don't think any of you all are attacking me I understnad the well being of my cat and something does have to be done. Thats why I came to you all about it. I kinda expect this. I am surprised that this thread had even resurfaced again. But I will keep you all updated on my mable rue and let you know what we decide.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 2:43 pm

There's one of those types of people in every neighborhood. I have one who lives right across the street from me, lol. I'd suggest maybe getting a harness for her, and that way you won't run the risk of her strangling herself if you tie her up in your yard. Or the enclosure idea.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 2:53 pm

I agree with you about them taking your tags off the animal, that is definitely crossing a line. But good luck, and please do keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 3:03 pm

amychuke wrote:
Like what was stated above no one has the right to feed any animal with tags. Lets just say your dog got out of his back yard... I find him even though he has tags I am going to go ahead and keep him. Without saying a word. Is that any different from the cat? No! you're still stealing!! If I let my cat free roam or not she still belongs to someone.

There is a difference between a dog running away and a dog or cat that is purposefully let roam. When it comes down to it, your cat is consistently roaming onto her property. You are lucky she likes the cat. Many people would not be so kind as that to a cat that does that. Roaming cats destroy gardens and kill birds and are considered a nuisance. Plain and simple.

Yes, what she is doing is wrong but obviously it's not getting fixed on her end so you finding an alternative (which obviously is what you are looking for) is responsible on your end.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 5:00 pm

I agree that she is stealing your cat and say you could go as far as to say she is planning on stealing your cat since she encourages your cat to come back by continually feeding her but ignorant people will continue to be ignorant no matter what. I am glad your looking into alternatives and that your able to utilize an alternative method of giving her some freedom. I tried the cat on the leash thing three seperate times each time ended up with me having some nasty claw marks up the back of my body and a cats claws fully extended into my head. We tried training our last three cats to walk on a leash so they could just go out with the dog but it backfired painfully on my part. We tried to add a tie out for the one cat he was constantly tangling on the porch rails and nearly strangling himself. We tried a harness once and he partially slipped it before we could even get it fully on which ended up twisting a leg the wrong way and again me getting bitten by him. My family has adopted the thought that cats have collars tags if you please ( ying still needs his) and thats it, but we did have some strange cats so it may just have been us. The harness is a good idea to try just didnt work for us, maybe it would for you until you could look into your cat enclosure.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm

I see what you're saying, your neighbor did go about it the wrong way. At least the second time they brought her back (while they gave you a piece of their mind)I would suggest a cat enclosure if not maybe think about re homing her, even if she wanted to become a indoor cat it seems an impossibility since people in your house are allergic to her. Cats are different then dogs, more independent you could say maybe she's just looking for somewhere she may fit in better.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:55 pm

I really want to try to make things better at home before rehoming her. So far what I have going on works for now. I just hope she adjusts well. Like right now I am flying to vegas ( yes i am messaging and flying the same time, im totally geeked out) and she will be kept in the room the entire time. But I do have someone coming by to check on her twice a day and they will let her out of the room for a little bit. But someone said cats kill birds and gardens.....don't huskys do this as well? Micole killed a squirrel at 10 weeks old in my back yard. Everything kills something part of life. Gardens.... I don't have one anymore because of micole. Off the topic of Huskies 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:31 pm

The cat is free to roam so I hardly call that stealing. Yes, removing tags is very wrong but do you have proof or know for sure that this person removed them? Cats lose rags all the time so could it be possible that the tags got lost and were not purposefully removed?

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:33 pm

amychuke wrote:
But someone said cats kill birds and gardens.....don't huskys do this as well? Micole killed a squirrel at 10 weeks old in my back yard. Everything kills something part of life. Gardens.... I don't have one anymore because of micole. Off the topic of Huskies 1625187496

Obviously yes, Huskies do it. In their own yards. What I am saying is when you let a cat roam, they go onto OTHER people's property who may not appreciate that your cat is killing wildlife and pissing on their plants killing them. You may love your cat and think that everyone else will, but I can guarantee you, there are plenty of people out there that don't want your cat wandering onto their property. There's a reason there are leash laws, animal control laws, and feral cat regulations.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Thank you, Sara! Cats roaming my neighborhood and coming into MY yard drive me up a wall, talking about those with homes too. I don't appreciate them digging up my garden and using my yard as a toilet.

Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:50 pm

She told me she removed them. I went to her house and asked her. She told me honestly she was trying to take her because she has never seen a cat look like mine before and really wanted her. I told her if she did come up missing I was going to call the cops. The end. It may not seem that way to you but to me yes it is. The end. That's what I belive and there is nothing that is gong to change that.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Remember she feed her and brought this on herself.... that's the way I feel about it. Run her off if she is bothering u. Bring her to me if its that big of an issue and you don't want her in your yard. But like I said everyone she is inside the house now!!!!!!!!! Not outside....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off the topic of Huskies   Off the topic of Huskies Empty

Back to top Go down

Off the topic of Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1