It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cone of shame after a spay - how long?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Cone of shame after a spay - how long? Empty
PostSubject: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Luci was spayed last Thursday, and I picked her up Friday. Somehow I forgot how long they said to keep the cone on her. Is it too soon to take it off, or should it stay on longer? Her incision looks like it is healing nicely, but of course isn't healed all the way yet.
Oh, and that 5-7 days of keeping her 'calm' isn't working too well. lol
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 4:45 pm

The five to seven days never seems to work with these huskies.. It seems to me like you need to keep the cone on for about 5-7 days. But I really depends on if she will leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks!
She looks so pathetic...

Cone of shame after a spay - how long? 2013-05-03_11-06-15_87_zps57e84ac8[/URL]
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm

I kept the cone on my Lhasa for about two weeks because she just wouldn't leave the incision alone. I took it off after she was completely healed. She was even running around and was fine before I took it off lol.

It just depends on the dog I'd say Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 7:41 pm

I gave Lucian a break from the cone of shame when he was under my supervision. If I caught him trying to lick I'd tell him to knock it off, and he usually would. But I put it back on him at night for about a week I think.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:54 pm

10 days for kiba. She was relentless with messing with her stitches
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:46 pm

We only had the cone on harry for about an hour when he was neutered. Caught him licking it a few times but a firm no stopped him. Maybe its different for the spaying, or harry was drugged up well enough...idk.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:29 pm

3 days for Meeka, then I took it off and she never bothered with it. Lucked out I guess. She is currently on Day 10 since the spay.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyTue May 07, 2013 9:10 am

ChillyBeach wrote:
We only had the cone on harry for about an hour when he was neutered. Caught him licking it a few times but a firm no stopped him. Maybe its different for the spaying, or harry was drugged up well enough...idk.

Lucky you my male Blaze would not leave his neuter scar alone he got it infected had to go on antibactics for a week after wards he worn the cone for about a week and we had to put a cover over his at night cause he would rub it with the cone.

Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:13 am

They never even gave me the cone of shame for Karli...said I could get one if she bothered it, but she left it alone at the office so they didn't feel she needed one. She didn't bother her stitches, so I didn't have to worry. I'd say take it off and see how she does. If she leaves it alone, you're good, if she bothers it, put it back on and try again tomorrow. Maybe she'll learn that bothering the stitches gets the cone lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cone of shame after a spay - how long?   Cone of shame after a spay - how long? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cone of shame after a spay - how long?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1