It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dangerous Breed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

Male Join date : 2012-12-11

breed - Dangerous Breed Empty
PostSubject: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Today i was looking up Breed Specific Laws (BSL) in Illinois and well found out that there are not any, could be wrong but didn't find any. I ended up stumbling on dog biting statistics and dangerous breeds and possibly need animal insurance for dog bites and what not. Anyway, i found out that supposedly Siberian Huskies are the 4th most dangerous breed in America and that you shouldn't have kids around them which is stupid.

Before i got Koda I had read that owning a husky may increase insurance rates, but thought it is just totally obsured. I have never seen a violent or dangerous Husky, especially my own.

No one would even think that they were dangerous seeing my Koda. I can admit that they look like wolves which captured my attention at first but i feel in love with the breed and its history.
breed - Dangerous Breed Haydna10

So what does everyone else think about these things?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm

http://www.ehow.com/list_6624470_10-least-aggressive-dogs.html#page=1

The above link of least aggressive dogs and the huskies are on it..

A FYI list.

Here is a list of most aggressive dogs.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6011449_top-10-aggressive-dogs.html

I find these list very informative.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Another note maybe you can print off the lists and show them to apartments or insurance companies.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I couldn't find Sibe's on the dangerous list in Illinois either. I know Pitt bulls, Rotwielers and German Sheperd's are not allowed in certain apartment complexes but I'm not sure if its the law because there have been at least 2 pit bulls in the apartment complexes I have lived in in Cook County.

If your Koda gets his canine good citizenship certificate, then you wont have to worry about insurance rates going up if you own a home.

All of your babies are adorable by the way Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:35 pm

luckily they're looking at abolishing bsl insurance and restrictions because most people can't tell what a pitbull is anyways it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....I have a pitbull and I had someone come up to me and say "that's one of them killing dogs" its not the dog its the owner
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:41 pm

amora wrote:
luckily they're looking at abolishing bsl insurance and restrictions because most people can't tell what a pitbull is anyways it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....I have a pitbull and I had someone come up to me and say "that's one of them killing dogs" its not the dog its the owner

Our last foster was a pit mix, and was the sweetest and most gentle dog I've ever been around. We had her out at Home Depot getting exposure one day, and while most people were really cool about it, there were definitely several who recoiled and I heard a few whispered "why does she have a pit bull in here?" type comments. People are idiots.

If you go into the National Dog Bite Registry, the vast majority of fatal attacks were by dogs of indeterminate breed, and all but a couple were either left chained up in the yard, otherwise isolated, or mistreated in some way. BSL is a copout by lazy people who can't open their minds and use critical thinking skills.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

breed - Dangerous Breed 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:44 pm

anything with a square head is labeled a "pitbull" a newstation did a story and asked people to identify the pitbull out of a group of dogs such as caine corso, staffordshire and other dogs and only 17% of people got it correct. When the guy said that I was like excuse me and he was like one of those dogs tried to bite me and I said I once had an african american male try to break into my home does that mean I can hate you?
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:45 pm

*end rant*...this subject makes me angry lol
Back to top Go down
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Dog biting statistics i found CDC website.

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Dog-Bites/dogbite-factsheet.html

I dont like how this chart here labels pit bull types and Husky types. like how many types can there be, and why do they get grouped when other dogs are just by breed that makes it unfair and and unbalanced chart.
http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf
Back to top Go down
Kodasmom
Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Female Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:18 pm

My brother-in-law got a husky 6 months before I did. His husky is the very reason I looked for a husky to be a part of our family. My daughter is wheelchair bound with the brain of a 2 year old at age 13. Koda's introduction to her at 9 weeks old, he mouthed her hair while he was biting on us. My brother in law's husky and Koda have been nothing but kind, loving, licking and absolutely her best friends since coming into our lives. I will never believe that a husky is aggressive unless a HUMAN MADE IT THAT WAY!!!
Back to top Go down
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:52 pm

I have a 4 year old and one on the way and i completely trust Koda with them.

My sister-in-law came over the other day with her 9 month old baby. Koda is normally super hyper and rambunctious when people come over, shes only 6 months still all puppy, but adult size 38 pounds really strong. But as soon as she saw the baby she sat down and waited for my sister-in-law and the baby to sit down before walking to them and just licking the baby. the baby pulled her hair and ears but she just loved on him.

No dog is violent unless people make them that way
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyFri May 10, 2013 12:49 am

Found sibes on the top 10 least aggressive list.

Siberian Husky
It is often debated whether the Siberian husky is an aggressive or friendly dog. They do tend to be territorial and protective of their families, and this has earned them a reputation for aggressiveness. But according to the study published by Applied Animal Behavior Science, the temperament of the husky is agreeable and outgoing. They are loyal to their masters but require plenty of exercise to stay happy. The Siberian husky is a popular breed of dog for therapy work.

Read more: 10 Least Aggressive Dogs | eHow http://www.ehow.com/list_6624470_10-least-aggressive-dogs.html#ixzz2SrGfqffV
Back to top Go down
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyFri May 10, 2013 1:00 am

so its totally crazy how they can be on the most aggressive list and the least aggressive list.. i think that they need to be taken off the aggressive list. and i dont think there should even be an aggressive list there is no need for it. they only act that way if you make them.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyFri May 10, 2013 9:56 am

When it come down to it, the statistics are based upon number of DEATHS and also REPORTED bites. Because of this, any large dog is inherently going to be more "dangerous" simply because a bite from a larger dog has the potential to cause more damage.

As in the earlier posted "Most Aggressive Breeds" list, most of the dogs on there are small. Those lists were created by self reported number of bites. But if someone is bitten by say a Dachshund, the damage is likely much less than if someone is bitten by a husky. Therefore, they are less likely to seek medical attention and be forced to report it. So maybe 5 out of every 100 bites from the Dachshund are reported whereas 8 out of every 10 husky bites may be reported. All dogs can bite. It's a fact. It's just the way that they are reported is inherently flawed.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyFri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

The thing about the CDC report is that they also say this: (I added the bold)
Quote :
A CDC study on fatal dog bites lists the breeds involved in fatal attacks over 20 years (Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998 Adobe PDF file). It does not identify specific breeds that are most likely to bite or kill, and thus is not appropriate for policy-making decisions related to the topic.

So what to the insurance companies (and subsequently the landlords) do? They base their banned breed policy on the Forbes list which comes from the study published from the CDC. morons.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyFri May 10, 2013 1:26 pm

I have heard that many bite statistics are even accidental bites are of a child getting food stolen by a poorly trained dog, not an intentional bite. Does anybody have any info on this?
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyFri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm

kodaandme2012 wrote:
so its totally crazy how they can be on the most aggressive list and the least aggressive list.. i think that they need to be taken off the aggressive list. and i dont think there should even be an aggressive list there is no need for it. they only act that way if you make them.

I think the raccoon and other wildlife animals in my neighborhood put huskies on the most aggressive list. My Loki already killed a ground hog and injured a raccoon.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptySat May 11, 2013 12:27 am

Quote :
Our last foster was a pit mix, and was the sweetest and most gentle dog I've ever been around.
People are just looking for reasons to be upset about something. Pitbulls are the reason I was able to get Karli in the first place. My hubby was scared of dogs (bad experience with them) til he met Lucy. Lucy had to be the sweetest, gentlest pit you have ever seen. Gorgeous to boot. We had seriously considered getting a pit before Karli but in housing we aren't "supposed" to have them. We're also not "supposed" to breed dogs here either but people don't listen. We went with a husky instead and don't regret it but I owe Lucy for Karli.

People stereotype dogs just like they do people. My vet tech who used to own huskies told me when I had Karli in last that the new bite list (maybe its the list for WA) came out and Dachshunds were number one on the list. Huskies weren't even on it. But of course, because its a big dog its dangerous. If people would report all bites verses just the big dog ones then maybe we could see the true numbers. But I doubt that will ever happen.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptySat May 11, 2013 12:50 am

IMO the most dangerous breed out there are the two legged kind...it has long been said there are no bad dogs, just bad people. I believe in this philosophy wholeheartedly
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptySun May 12, 2013 12:41 pm

I remember reading this before, but an Ivy league Study found that Siberian Huskies were the least likely to be aggressive toward strangers:

http://publicintellectual.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/ivy-league-study-huskies-safest-breed/

I can't find the actual study, though...the link has been broken.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptySun May 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Papabear wrote:
I remember reading this before, but an Ivy league Study found that Siberian Huskies were the least likely to be aggressive toward strangers:

http://publicintellectual.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/ivy-league-study-huskies-safest-breed/

I can't find the actual study, though...the link has been broken.

I have the original full text article as a pdf file and would happy to send to anyone interested. (Moderators, am I allowed to do that?)
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:45 pm

I think you have to kind of take this statistics with a grain of salt. Try and find out the top 10 most popular breeds and I think you will find Huskies on there - so it just makes statistical sense the more of the one breed you have in the area the more instances they will be involved in. It doesn't say anything about individual character etc, it's like anything you have to be cautious with animals around cats, I know my cat would be more inclined to injure a child than either of our dogs, but you don't see dangerous cat lists out there.

In Australia, particular Victoria where we live, it's not a laughing matter and the government is taking it very seriously after a young child was killed by a pitbull - as a result you can no longer have a pitbull (cross) without it being registered as a dangerous dog, being confined and I believe a muzzle in public.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:40 pm

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/newsnow/x1338684517/State-bill-bans-dog-discrimination#axzz2TGGcATgq

So it begins one state at a time Smile
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Husky mum wrote:
I think you have to kind of take this statistics with a grain of salt. Try and find out the top 10 most popular breeds and I think you will find Huskies on there - so it just makes statistical sense the more of the one breed you have in the area the more instances they will be involved in. It doesn't say anything about individual character etc, it's like anything you have to be cautious with animals around cats, I know my cat would be more inclined to injure a child than either of our dogs, but you don't see dangerous cat lists out there.

In Australia, particular Victoria where we live, it's not a laughing matter and the government is taking it very seriously after a young child was killed by a pitbull - as a result you can no longer have a pitbull (cross) without it being registered as a dangerous dog, being confined and I believe a muzzle in public.
Pitbulls are actually banned in the Miami Dade county if I drove south for 3 hours Stryker would be taken away and most likely euthanized
Back to top Go down
jbooty939
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed EmptySun May 26, 2013 2:32 pm

I have heard that some apartment complexes will place huskies on the dangerous breed list not because they are dangerous, but because they can be destructive and they would rather not have a dog who may destroy the apartment. I've never seen a husky acting aggressively toward any person, they were bred to be very friendly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dangerous Breed   breed - Dangerous Breed Empty

Back to top Go down

Dangerous Breed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next