It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My dog still wets her crate at night

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-04-08

night - My dog still wets her crate at night Empty
PostSubject: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyMon May 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Juno is 5 months old now. I started to let her sleep in my room at night because she was doing good about not getting into stuff. Well, she started peeing on the carpet so last night I put her back in her crate. She woke up at midnight and I wanted to let her out, and she had peed in her crate. She had drank out of my roommates toilet last night which means maybe she couldn't hold it, but even when she hasn't had anything to drink before bed, she still needs to pee in the middle of the night, sometimes twice. What is the deal?! I thought dogs can hold it! She doesn't mess her cage when I am at work all day....so why at night?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Do you let her out to go potty before you put her in her crate? Even if she hasn't had water for a few hours, I would still let her out. I let mine out and she's a year old. She sleeps with me in the bed now and there are no issues.

I also put the water 'up' at 10PM. This helps prevent accidents, but I would still let her out before bed.

If she's peeing in her crate, that means that she has enough room to pee and then scoot to the other side. Perhaps get a divider for your crate?

Also, she may have a UTI. If she doesn't do better with letting her out before bed, I would take her to a vet. When a dog has a UTI it makes it harder to hold their pee.

Btw - Your Juno is very cute! Wink
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm

I have had peeing issues since I got her. She had a UTI when I first got her, and I took her to two different vets. One vet told me not to let her drink so much. He told me feed her one ounce of water, per pound she weighs, per day. This helped CONSIDERABLY with her messing in the house.

Her kennel is pretty big, but she needs it because she is long and I want her to be able to totally stretch her legs out.

I put her water up at least an hour before bed and I let her out as many times as I can stand. Whenever she goes to the door to go outside, I always let her out. I definitely let her out before bed.

I am going again to the vet on thursday. This is getting worrisome, and I am definitely very frustrated at this point...

Thanks for the compliments. She is on the smaller side. I'm hoping she grows more. I know she won't be a huge dog by any means...but I do want her to get bigger. She is a sweet girl though. Great personality.

You have a beautiful dog as well. He almost looks like he has some German Shepherd in her or him? I'm assuming her...but Juneau can be a guys name too for a dog I think.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyMon May 13, 2013 11:24 pm

At around 5mo Harry had issues peeing during the night. We found taking the water away around 2 1/2 hours before bed worked well. That, along with letting him out just before bed kept the peeing to less than a weekly occurrence. He's since got better at holding it and we can leave water out all night with no problems anymore. He didnt have any UTI's at the time, just went through a phase I guess.

Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyTue May 14, 2013 2:24 am

My Juneau is a she. Smile I'm not sure if she has any German Shepard in her, I just found her on craiglist. She definitely has a different mask than most. She sure acts 100% husky!

Let us know how the vet visit goes.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyTue May 14, 2013 2:58 am

When I first adopted Kennedy from the shelter, she was peeing in her crate too. I took water away by 7PM for about a week; that along with taking her out more frequently cut down on her accidents and by the third day she had stopped peeing in her crate.

Remember, she is still a young puppy. I get that you are taking her out a lot, but it still may not be enough. With Sheba, until she was about 6-7 months old, I was STILL taking her out every half hour. It was driving me crazy, but it was something I had to do.

Hopefully everything checks out okay at the vet!

Don't get frustrated. I know it's hard, but remember, she is only a baby.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:05 am

ChillyBeach wrote:
At around 5mo Harry had issues peeing during the night. We found taking the water away around 2 1/2 hours before bed worked well. That, along with letting him out just before bed kept the peeing to less than a weekly occurrence. He's since got better at holding it and we can leave water out all night with no problems anymore. He didnt have any UTI's at the time, just went through a phase I guess.

Best of luck.

I get home around 4:30 to 5 from work. When I get home, immediately I take her out of course, and then it's meal time, which consists of 3/4 cup of her Origin food and one full cup of water. She usually gets about 3 cups a day since she is around 25-30 pounds. I try to give her about 25-30 ounces a day.

So, after she eats, I usually will cook dinner. Yup, I am a bachelor and I have to do my own cooking, so I have to space time out for everything. When I get done eating, I will clean up and let her out again. (yeah, I do let her out about every 30 minutes., But she has gotten VERY good about making a noise on the blinds on my back door when she needs/wants to go outside.

So after I clean up dinner, we may play some fetch inside with one of her toys, or play some tug of war with either a sock or a rope. Then after I settle down from work a bit, I will take her for a walk. Last night we walked for about 30 minutes. I am teaching her loose leash walking so many times I have to stop and make her sit because I don't want her pulling me. Then we continue once she obeys me. But sometimes, that can make for long walks....but either way, it's keeping her mind active.

When we get home, I will give her a little more water because she is tired from the walk. Around 830-900 she wanted to go outside and she had one of her run around the yard fits which is always hilarious. I LOVE it when dogs do that! It's awesome! So she was obviously tired from that so I gave her a little more water...maybe an ounce or two just to give her a bit to drink. Throughout the night, I took her out every 30 minutes or so.

I put her in her crate last night and she let me know when she needed to go outside. I let her out and I allowed her to sleep in my room when we came back in. Well, she pee'd again in my room. She only does it in TWO spots. Those are the same spots that she has pee'd before. So I am wondering if she is just peeing because she smells her own urine scent. Would that be enough to make her pee, even if she doesn't really have to?
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

VintageJeans wrote:
My Juneau is a she. Smile I'm not sure if she has any German Shepard in her, I just found her on craiglist. She definitely has a different mask than most. She sure acts 100% husky!

Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Ok...so we both have girl Jono/juneau's. Very Happy Good deal!

Either way, your dog is quite adorable!
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:15 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
When I first adopted Kennedy from the shelter, she was peeing in her crate too. I took water away by 7PM for about a week; that along with taking her out more frequently cut down on her accidents and by the third day she had stopped peeing in her crate.

Remember, she is still a young puppy. I get that you are taking her out a lot, but it still may not be enough. With Sheba, until she was about 6-7 months old, I was STILL taking her out every half hour. It was driving me crazy, but it was something I had to do.

Hopefully everything checks out okay at the vet!

Don't get frustrated. I know it's hard, but remember, she is only a baby.

See my response to chillybeach. I will definitely let you know how the vet goes. He was a neighbor to my parents in the house I grew up in. He is a very thorough and LOVING vet. The dog I had, that I grew up with, was at home when she was put to sleep. The vet told us, when we were ready, or when Jenny was ready (she was old and had problems and we just said "it's time for her to go" because her health was causing her pain), that he would go to his office and get the sleep medicine and come put her down in her closet where she was comfortable. Her closet was where she stayed in my parents room. She had a big area with a pillow and blanket that she LOVED. So, he came over, and explained what was going to happen. He LOVES animals so much. He was so gentle with her and with us. We were all there just petting her and holding her while he injected her. Good lord, my dad was sobbing more than my mom and I. Anyways, he was just so gentle with her and he even cried a bit. He is such a good vet. So he told us, when she is asleep, he will just walk out quietly and allow us to mourn for a bit. Funny thing is, he forgot to turn his cell phone off and right when Jenny was put to sleep, his phone went off...and it was a dog barking ring, hahahahaha.....needless to say, we all started to laugh. My mom made the comment, well Jenny couldn't wait too long before she let us know she was ok in heaven. (I don't believe dogs go to heaven and neither does she...but it was a funny comment) Vet felt absolutely horrible, but we love him so much that it was totally ok, and it provided some comic relief in a bad time. I said all that to say that I expect nothing but the best from this vet. I know he will treat Juno like his own and hopefully, he can find anything wrong, if there is anything to be found.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My dog still wets her crate at night   night - My dog still wets her crate at night Empty

Back to top Go down

My dog still wets her crate at night

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1