A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Jack and Jen B!, our July HOTM winners! HOTM - August : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Jack and Jen B,
our July HOTM Winners!
Summer Vacation!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Coat Blowing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Coat Blowing?   Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 pm

I keep seeing everyone posting about blowing out their dog's coats...What exactly is this? I'm a new husky mom so I'm not really completely educated yet.
Back to top Go down
chaner10
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 am

It's when she sheds her fur like crazy. Mine has been doing so for a month. It's tapered off a bit but I hear that they shed all through the summer. When it first started my floor looked like it got a new carpet so you should probably brush yours everyday once it starts.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 am

Definitely not looking forward to that lol. She got a bath yesterday and they brushed her pretty well where she hasn't had a lot of extra hair hanging around like she normally does. But she hasn't started the full on shedding yet. And I heard a furminator is bad for their coat??
Back to top Go down
chaner10
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 am

I don't know if its bad but she's got the furminator once and it really gave me a chance to clean up the floor a bit before it started all over again. Its mostly her losing the winter coat that'll drive you nuts. Afterwards its ok but no wearing black clothes anymore.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:29 am

Damn, black is my favorite lol.
Back to top Go down
chaner10
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:31 am

Haha, small price to pay. But at least yours didn't dig halfway through a wooden door.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 am

That I am thankful for. She tries to dig at my carpet but it doesn't do much to it. She hasn't tried to chew on my shoes or any cords yet either and I am very grateful.
Back to top Go down
chaner10
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 am

Haha, I'm down two lamps, a fan, an old book, and two pairs of shoes that she didn't chew but licked until they were dripping. But its hard to stay angry at her
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 am

Don't use a FURminator. Those brushes are NOT meant for double coated breeds and honestly, I wouldn't use it on any dog. Get a nice undercoat rake, a slicker brush, and a pin brush. All of those are cheap tools that will go along way; plus, your baby's coat won't get destroyed.

I doubt she would be blowing her puppy coat already, it's probably just normal shedding. When they blow their coats, they are blowing out all of the fluffy stuff under the top coat (to make it simple). When this happens, you will be able to pull the hair out in chunks and there will be no resistance. Search for coat blowing in the search bar-there is a thread with pictures that will give you the visual example of what I am talking about.

A daily brushing and a good bath with an HD dryer will definitely help speed the process up. You won't believe how much hair there is until it actually happens.

When they start to blow, they look all patchy and mangy LOL. They get this "naked" look and people will probably ask you if your dog is sick or if you feed it (THAT is so annoying, let me tell you). Don't worry about how weird she looks, it's normal.

They usually blow their coats out twice a year, but where you live and what your weather is like also plays a role in their shedding timeline.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Brunswick Ga

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:41 am

Usually when they blow coat and you bathe them it loosens the hair and you will see uneven tufts and clumps peaking out, some call it snow like my boy is going through his first snow! hehe
if you live where it is hotter your husky could blow coat more than two times a year! I find its best to brush them out everyday while their blowing coat, makes it much easier, I use a fine tooth comb for everyday usage and a rake!
Hope this helps! Good Luck
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 am

@Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Don't use a FURminator. Those brushes are NOT meant for double coated breeds and honestly, I wouldn't use it on any dog. Get a nice undercoat rake, a slicker brush, and a pin brush. All of those are cheap tools that will go along way; plus, your baby's coat won't get destroyed.

I doubt she would be blowing her puppy coat already, it's probably just normal shedding. When they blow their coats, they are blowing out all of the fluffy stuff under the top coat (to make it simple). When this happens, you will be able to pull the hair out in chunks and there will be no resistance. Search for coat blowing in the search bar-there is a thread with pictures that will give you the visual example of what I am talking about.

A daily brushing and a good bath with an HD dryer will definitely help speed the process up. You won't believe how much hair there is until it actually happens.

When they start to blow, they look all patchy and mangy LOL. They get this "naked" look and people will probably ask you if your dog is sick or if you feed it (THAT is so annoying, let me tell you). Don't worry about how weird she looks, it's normal.

They usually blow their coats out twice a year, but where you live and what your weather is like also plays a role in their shedding timeline.

Ok, so I understand the need for all the brushes but do you use all 3 daily and in which order do you use them? We live in Alabama so I have a feeling she may shed more than twice a year....
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 am

@MyaAndI2013 wrote:
Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Don't use a FURminator. Those brushes are NOT meant for double coated breeds and honestly, I wouldn't use it on any dog. Get a nice undercoat rake, a slicker brush, and a pin brush. All of those are cheap tools that will go along way; plus, your baby's coat won't get destroyed.

I doubt she would be blowing her puppy coat already, it's probably just normal shedding. When they blow their coats, they are blowing out all of the fluffy stuff under the top coat (to make it simple). When this happens, you will be able to pull the hair out in chunks and there will be no resistance. Search for coat blowing in the search bar-there is a thread with pictures that will give you the visual example of what I am talking about.

A daily brushing and a good bath with an HD dryer will definitely help speed the process up. You won't believe how much hair there is until it actually happens.

When they start to blow, they look all patchy and mangy LOL. They get this "naked" look and people will probably ask you if your dog is sick or if you feed it (THAT is so annoying, let me tell you). Don't worry about how weird she looks, it's normal.

They usually blow their coats out twice a year, but where you live and what your weather is like also plays a role in their shedding timeline.

Ok, so I understand the need for all the brushes but do you use all 3 daily and in which order do you use them? We live in Alabama so I have a feeling she may shed more than twice a year....

If I'm not being lazy, yes I do use all three. These brushes just take out the undercoat, so there is no damage being done to either the coat or the skin (which can also happen with a FURminator). My USUAL order is undercoat rake, slicker brush, then finish off with a pin brush. A pin brush isn't a needed brush, but the undercoat rake is DEFINITELY a must need! I LOVE it. I know three brushes sounds like a lot, but I seriously brush her out for maybe 15 minutes. Do you have a HD dryer, or a self wash grooming service near you?? I drive an hour and a half away from my house JUST to take my dogs to the self wash. They have professional shampoos and they have a large variety of different shampoos to choose from, no matter what your need. You also don't have to clean the tub (which is PROBABLY the best part Laughing ) and they have a HD dryer there for you to use. I bought a B-Air dryer off of Craigslist..and I am in love. The amount of hair it blows off is insane. If you have the money, I definitely suggest getting one. Even just surf eBay and Craigslist.. I got mine for $70, which is a steal!

Yeah, I bet she will too LOL. I don't know that for a fact though. There are lots of other owners on here that are from the South, so maybe they will chime in and be more helpful with that!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Brunswick Ga

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 am

You can expect more shedding times! Mostly Shed a few times in the summer! That how we roll in the south! lol
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am

I feel so bad because my mom bought me the furminator and it's so expensive, I'll have to tell her it's not good for her coat and maybe I can sell it on ebay and make some money to buy the other brushes. I think I may have a little time though since she's young and shouldn't start shedding too badly yet. I will probably start by just buying the undercoat rake until I have the money to get the rest. I have my own hair dryer which Mya is fascinated by, every time I use it she sits in the bathroom to watch me lol. She goes to daycare at Pet Palace across the street and loves it there, she always passes out when she gets home. But once a month they have a dog party for all the daycare dogs and they get daycare, a bath and a toy so she does get a bath once a month. I'm sure when she's older, I'll get her bathed more often but they put the big blowers on them to help them dry and brush her pretty good.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 10:47 am

@HuskyAvalanche wrote:
You can expect more shedding times! Mostly Shed a few times in the summer! That how we roll in the south! lol

Yea...I'm not excited about that. I just hate hair, it drives me nuts...that's why I wanna know the best way to help get rid of some of it with the brushes.
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Male Join date : 2013-01-29
Location : Los Angeles CA

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 11:45 am

my 8 month husky, hasnt blown his fur yet. is he a late bloomer? ;haha
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm

@pierody wrote:
my 8 month husky, hasnt blown his fur yet. is he a late bloomer? ;haha

My girl JUST started blowing her coat; and as you can see by my age ticker, she is a little over a year old. Don't worry about it, your time will come Wink.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Brunswick Ga

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 3:22 pm

My boy started Blowing coat just at 4 months, I live in Ga, here were it is hot the hair doesn't really stop. LOL the best I can do is brush him everyday, and I don't have very much hair flying around, if I go a week without brushing, and I have, it is not pretty, LOL I was vacuuming 3 times a day now I just do it once a day and sweep once a day. Lots of help if you brush, comb and rake everyday!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 3:27 pm

@MyaAndI2013 wrote:
@HuskyAvalanche wrote:
You can expect more shedding times! Mostly Shed a few times in the summer! That how we roll in the south! lol

Yea...I'm not excited about that. I just hate hair, it drives me nuts...that's why I wanna know the best way to help get rid of some of it with the brushes.

HAHA, then you might have picked the wrong breed!! Wink You will have fur in your hair, clothes, dishes, food...everywhere. You eventually get used to it and manage it. Brushing and vacuuming really helps with the hair. I just realized my auto correct in my previous posts..it should be HV not HD LOL. We have a thread on High Velocity dryers if you want to check it out. They aren't cheap, but they make up for the price with the very first blow (I should know with three dogs now!).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Brunswick Ga

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Oh yeah you better start liking hair and keep a sticky buddy in your car or purse, for hair removal> LOL
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-21
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Bourbon started blowing his coat about a week ago little tufts everywhere but I can not get a really good brushing from him to fully get rid of it yet. Guess I have a couple weeks of BLOW!

_________________

Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-02-03
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 am

I call it the "Husky Pluck" because I'm always plucking hair by the clump!
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Female Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : Alabama

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Sat May 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Ok, so when I look at brushes, what do you think are some good brands to look into? I want to get the undercoat rake first.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 pm

I just bought a like, $8 rake at tractor supply that had rotating teeth Smile. I definitely suggest rotating teeth!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-09-22
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   Sat May 18, 2013 1:19 pm

@MyaAndI2013 wrote:
Ok, so when I look at brushes, what do you think are some good brands to look into? I want to get the undercoat rake first.

I have a slicker brush that I brought from the groomer down the street for $6. You dont need much for a young puppy.

When she's older you will need 3 brushes.

Quote :
Neither a shedding blade or a Furminator does the proper job....... an undercoat rake, a slicker brush and a comb in a 3-step process (in that order) are what is needed for really heavy grooming... thereafter running a slicker brush over them until the next big coat blow should be enough... every couple days
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Coat Blowing?   

Back to top Go down
 

Coat Blowing?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Grooming-