It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rescue Malamute LEO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

Male Join date : 2012-12-11

Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO Empty
PostSubject: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:37 pm

So today i went to PAWS, thats Protecting Animal Welfare Society in Jacksonville, IL. They are a no kill animal shelter where we found LEO the malamute, he is a big 4 year old boy with heart worm and is being treated, we wanted to adopt him but his adoption fee is $200 and we dont have that right now. We have all the means to take care of him just not the adoption fee.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26099934

Does any one know where i can get help? Like are there places that will pay the adoption fees for animals at shelter so people like me can adopt them??
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Maybe the shelter that has him would have an idea? Or some shelters around you? I dont know of anything unfortunately, but i completely understand being able to care for a dog but not having the fee that is wanted for them. I looked at the rescues around me and a lot were $300 or more. No way i could pay that but i got my 2 free of charge and i have them on a good food, and i slowly do what i can when i can, they got shots two months ago, microchips for free today, heartworm tests i am putting aside for and spaying and neutering, i have a lot of people telling me i have no business with one dog none the less two since im not working a good or steady job and that i need to give them up but the way i see it im doing my best and their thriving so far not suffering so i'll continue the way i am. Hell i've got more done on them then my mother and brother one working full time one part time who have a dog with no shots for the past few years is not neutered and on the cheapest walmart food they can find. Good luck getting him if i find some sort of support i will let you know.
Back to top Go down
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I will have to talk to the shelter about a reduced adoption fee or payments. I am actually scheduled to start volunteering at the shelter tomorrow. Thanks if you see anything let me know.
Back to top Go down
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Yea i fell in love with this guy the moment i saw his post on petfinder and facebook. The only downside is that he is currently under treatment for heart worm. thats why his adoption fee is so much, normally it is about half of what it is. but the shelter says that he comes with his medicine.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:37 pm

I have no idea if there is any group/organization that will help cover adoption fees (I'm going to say no, though).

I'm wondering - what is your definition of "caring for" a dog? Why can you not afford the adoption fee but you can afford the dogs care (food, vet bills, ongoing heartworm medicine if he should need it, toys - what if he gets out and is injured etc)?

Not trying to be rude just trying to understand why you can afford to care for a pet but not the price for it.

Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:41 pm

I hate to be debbie downer here, but if you can't afford $200 for the adoption fee, how are you planning on caring for him if the heart worms don't go away? What if things get worse? Heartworm treatments for an active infection can run anywhere between $500-1000. If you can't afford $200 to adopt him, which doesn't even pay back what the shelter has likely spent on him, is this the right move for you?

I understand that things can be done a little at a time and monthly, but $200 is a meager adoption fee. That's not even one vet visit with a couple of shots where I am from.

However, in the interests in staying on topic, I would be asking the shelter if they can do a payment plan for the adoption fee-- maybe $50 a month or something for a couple of months? However, most shelters probably would hesitate to do that. One, there is no guarantee anyone will continue to pay once they have the dog; and two, they are going to ask the same questions I am... if you can't pay $200 to adopt, how will you afford caring for your dog over time? What if something happens?

Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO Hailey10
Back to top Go down
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 11:29 pm

Im waiting until i get paid a few more times before i will have the 200 and the shelter is continueing the treatment for Leo.

But i already have a boat load of toys and supplies, i collect them my wife says that i spoil the dogs way to much. i also have alot of food and can afford more of that. I just dont have the 200 on hand and didnt know if there were organizations that help..

But i had no idea that heart worm treatment cost that much in the first place. But i am sure that some one else will adopt him before i do, there were 3 other people also interested in him.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySat May 18, 2013 11:36 pm

It's always good to do research before you make any commitment. Heartworm is often fatal and very costly to remediate. That's why most people have their dogs on a heartworm preventative annually.

Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO EmptySun May 19, 2013 9:43 am

If other people want the dog and have better financial standing to treat him that may be better for him.

Even HW preventative care is expensive. Annually I have to pay $45 for the blood test plus another $90 for a 12 month supply of Heartgard Plus. That doesn't include the extra $45 exam fee for walking in the door. All that is $180, just for annual heartworm PREVENTION (for ONE dog), treatment would cost way more plus all the trips back to the vet to have him and his progress checked and added blood tests to verify if he's cleared of heartworms after treatment. Plus when he's finally cleared of HW then you'll need to also put him on a monthly pill or topical.

As has been said, I doubt there is help or a payment plan for adoption fees. I personally wouldn't adopted out a dog to someone who couldn't afford the adoption fee because I couldn't trust that they could also afford all the other care expenses of a dog. God forbid the dog has an accident and needs emergency care. Not saying that to be rude, it's just being logical and practical and keeping the dogs best interest in mind.

Maybe family can lend you the money if you are dead set on adopting this boy, $200 really is not much money.

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Malamute LEO   Malamute - Rescue Malamute LEO Empty

Back to top Go down

Rescue Malamute LEO

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Community :: Rescue Missions-