It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Two Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 3:50 am

So I've been feeding Dearest Lucifer dry food but now i'm debating making him higher protine dry food s I know I can not afford Blue, Taste of the Wild, or anything really high quality. So I'm first wondering if anyone makes their own dry food, and how's your husky doing? Mines a little on the skinny side and I really feel aweful he is.

Second is i was looking at home made dog treats and found charcoal and oat dog treats and i was wondering if anyone ever fed charcoal treats and if there were positive results. I researched them and they seem safe for pups to consume but I tend to be careful, I really want my pretty boy to live fo many years and I'm wanting to give him the best possible.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 12:38 pm

I make my own dog treats every now and then, they are super basic but the girls love them.
Just remember to used completely natural peanut butter
Peanut Butter Dog Treats (makes about 3 dozen)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Mix together the flour and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the peanut butter and hot water. Mix until smooth. Gradually add the dry mixture and mix well. Add a little more water if the dough is too dry, or flour if it's too wet.
4. Turn dough out onto your work surface and roll to 1/4" thickness.
5. Cut with a cookie cutter (you can find the bone-shaped one at Mignon) and place on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly brown. Let cool, then store in an airtight container.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Do you have a Costco membership? They have pretty decent grain free or grain inclusive kibbles that don't cost much relative to other comparable foods.

What kind of food were you thinking of making? A home cooked diet? A raw diet? Both are excellent diets when done properly but regardless of which you choose to feed you'll need to do your research beforehand to ensure you do it right so your dog doesn't end up with a nutritional deficiency. If you're considering raw then we have lots of good reading in the raw feeding forum.

While I've never heard of charcoal treats many of us make our own dog treats with much success.

Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Actually we do but I wasn't sure our costco had a good dog food for Lucifer, that and he is a picky baby, he wants his food soaked into a thick non sticky paste, than microwaved
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm

I found this recipe for dog treats with charcoal I have not tried it yet.. I have lots of other recipes for dog treats and I tried.
Quote :

Smelly bad breath can put a damper on any bonding experience. Case in point...try snuggling with a panting dog with pungent bad breath while holding your breath at the same time. Good luck with that one. It is unpleasant & impossible to say the least. If your pet suffers from halitosis then the culprit could be periodontal dental disease, plaque & tarter buildup. Poor pet dental hygiene or the lack there of could be your pet's cry for help by signaling a more serious underlining health problem in need of immediate vet attention.
So, in celebration of National Pet Dental Month all February lets be responsible pet owners and vow to make our pet's oral care a priority. Because lets face it, dog's spend a lot of time in our face kissing & licking us to their hearts content. Annual vet check ups, professional teeth cleanings and a daily at home teeth brushing regime will keep your dog smiling. Remember a healthy mouth = a healthy life for you & your pet!
Here is a refreshing dog treat recipe your dog will love and you can smile about. This minty fresh breath treat will clear the air literally and help banish the bad breath monster. So, say "Good-bye" to bad breath and "Hello" to sweet smelling dog breath. Go ahead, snuggle away!
Ingredients:

2 cups whole-wheat or brown rice flour
1 tbsp. activated charcoal
3 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
1 egg
2/3 cup milk (low fat or regular)
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease the baking sheet.
3. Combine flour and charcoal in the bowl.
NOTE: Charcoal powder, capsules or tablets can be found at most health food stores, as your local pet store. Charcoal helps absorb toxins that can cause chronic bad breath.
4.Stir in the egg and oil. Mix well.
5. Add the milk. Mix well.
6. Stir in the mint and parsley.
7. Drop tablespoonfuls approximately 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Cool thoroughly and refrigerate in airtight container for freshness.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 4:03 am

For a little cheaper decent food I use American Natural Premium, my two are on the original right now amd I'm paying about $45 with tax for a 40# bag. I have thought of switching to the costco brand but dont have a membership, i was told that the store should have samples of the food at one time or another that way you could see if he likes it. My two get oat treats as well I actually make them for a small local business called Tammy's Delights, you can try looking at her website tammysdelights.com for some info on oat based treats, i think shes got some info on there. Cant give you a receipe though since its not mine, sorry!
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Awesome =3 thanks for all the help and suggestions, The costco brand will do just fine,we'll be switching him over soon as it has 24 % protein. I'm just a super careful owner, I don't want to hurt my baby
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 pm

I was at Costco yesterday and actually took note of their Nature's Domain grain free turkey formula which was $29.89 for a 35 lb bag, can't beat that!

Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 pm

^ ours is aroung 30 ish so a little more but its also a larger bag i think closer to 40-50 lbs. ^.^. and yeah we're getting the turkey Lucifer hates Salmon XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Questions   Two Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Two Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1