It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 am

Bottom line is that it's hard to judge all that from the videos that we are allowed to see. Having never met the man, I can't say whether I like him or not, but I've seen enough to be skeptical of him. There's just something there that doesn't sit right with me. I can't explain it anymore than that... oh well Smile

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 12:57 am

Might it be cultural as well? There's a mighty big difference in the way dogs are viewed down south.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:05 am

Couldn't tell ya! I have no problem treating my dogs as dogs and not people :p But I can't get past the episode using a shock collar and not coming clean with it. I think that's what it boils down to personally for me. I'd have a LOT less of a problem with him if he had been open about his usage of a shock collar in that episode with the black GSD. I just remember seeing the episode and being so impressed, and then the shock collar usage came to light and I felt betrayed because I thought he had been upfront and it was just his energy. I still took the lessons away that he taught and that I saw reinforced elsewhere in my life and training as well, but I never forgot that. Hey- I would have been glad for the training on proper shock collar usage, but yeah... dunno. Just doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe that's my fault just as much as his. I dunno. Not like I'm gonna spit in his face if I ever met him, but you bet your butt I'd probably ask him about that episode Razz

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:18 am

I'm still looking for that episode. You have me highly curious about it. Do you know what season that was from?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:20 am

I see. It's something I do with other people's dogs (just not an electric collar) so I'm just as guilty. The last thing I want is someone trying something their not capable of pulling off. Guess it's the time I've put in getting seriously physical removing a Malamute bitch off of other dogs all by myself because people tend to freeze when action is needed.

One more thought: Dogs don't just take to new people and go with it. When someone asks me for help it's when a dog has spent most of its life behaving a certain, undesirable way. Then all of a sudden here comes guy to take dog for a walk and HOLY ****, it's the outside world! I don't get the same leeway and space that the owner would get and "dominating" the dog is my way into their head. If Cesar has EVER seen ANY dog forum/blog he knew not to get into electric collars.

EDIT: You also never hear people mention the earlier seasons when he almost always took the dog and owner to a true pro trainer. The Dalmatian with the clicker guy, and the GSD with the flirt pole guy are two that spring to mind.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 am

26nikita wrote:
I'm still looking for that episode. You have me highly curious about it. Do you know what season that was from?
AH-HA! Finally found it. Season 2, Episode 9: Spike the GSD.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:36 am

harrise wrote:
If Cesar has EVER seen ANY dog forum/blog he knew not to get into electric collars.
Fair enough, but then don't go into it. It's one way or the other, not both. Again, I'd have no problem if he just went into it and I would have defended him whole-heartedly for his usage of it and that he explained it to the public and why. However, he didn't. And THAT'S what I have a problem with.

I may not agree with all his methods, but I'm not so shallow as to dislike a man for the methods he uses. We're all different. Eddy, I know that you handle your dogs very differently than I do mine and I respect you for your training accomplishments, the love you have for your animals, and that you know and share that your training methods are NOT for everyone. Cesar has failed to do this in my eyes and I don't respect him for it.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm coming in on this a little late, but I've read through all the posts, and have actually watched Cesar before we adopted Ginger even if hubby has had experience with the breed. For me, it was about doing my own research and learning something on my own, and what would work best as every dog, no matter what breed is a *little* different from the other. I wanted to have some tools, as much as I could absorb, before we came home with a dog. I've also watch Victoria Stillwell. And like a lot of you that have posted to this thread, I take a little from both, and apply what works really well for us and Ginger. What doesn't work, I throw out the window and forget-about-it! Very Happy

I think being open to different training techniques and applying what works best for you and your Husky is key, and I think it's made my experience with Ginger such a GREAT experience so far.

I'm still learning about Ginger (it's only been 4 months since we've adopted her, and she's my first dog, let along being a Husky), and as long as I don't ever think I've learned all there is to know about Huskies and being a dog owner, I think I'll be OK. And as long as I exercise and challenge Ginger on a daily basis, I think she'll be a happy, well behaved and balanced Husky....

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 pm

That's one of the reasons I joined this Husky forum. I thought it would be a great way to grow and learn about this breed. It's so nice to talk to others who have Huskies...I don't have anyone around my area... It's also great to see all the pictures!! Love the pictures! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tlh0012
Newborn
Newborn
tlh0012

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Well exercise is the key to ONE of my huskies being good.....she is 9 months old. My 2 1/2 year old, however, is very lazy. He enjoys going for walks, but only short ones. He is a big mama's boy, and is well behaved almost all of the time, just as long as he can be up under me. The problem with him is that he has bad separation anxiety. Even when he is with out other husky, he still can't stand to be away from my boyfriend and me. Anyone know what to do about that?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:22 am

Has Biko shown such aggression with other dogs like this, or just with Falen? If so, just males? 16 months seems about the time they begin to try to "show their chest" as I like to say about the males. Sometimes, dogs just do not click. Maybe he sensed the wolf in him? (Is that possible?) It is always hard to see your own fighting! Glad you weren't seriously hurt! Hopefully, someone has some options for you.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Where did this take place? (Falen's house, your house, somewhere you walk often, new place...)

It sounds as if everyone was stopped and leashed, and in my experience that's just asking for a fight. You have to keep them moving parallel the same direction until Biko gets a chance to air sniff the new dog. Even then, he might not be able to shake the anxiety of being leashed in new dog situations. He's still a recent addition and is likely starting to feel like it's HIS pack. People argue dominance and wolf stuff all day long, and I have found that multi dog houses do have structure. Albeit a more fluid and changeable. The one dynamic that never seems to change is one dog always acts as security whether you like it or not. You're going to need a few dogs unknown to him to desensitize this behavior. He's unsure of the meet and greet and it's not working.

(Yes, I am aware of the ideal way to break up a dog fight, but that requires a willing helper. My situations involve four to eight large dogs and a frozen/scared dog owner who has probably never walked their dog further than the driveway.) I also never reach into a fight until I've kind of broken it up with boots to the dog that won't snap out of it. For me this is usually a loose dog that I don't know, sometimes it's Coco. Drop all leashes, wait for a split second window where both bitey ends are together and aim for a shoulder. This is almost always enough to unbalance the aggressive dog for me to scruff them up off the ground. I then force this dog to the ground showing no tolerance for any movement. When that dog starts to show stress signals that aren't as violent (drooling, darting eyes, heavy panting), I will obtain the other dog and force it to the ground about 10 feet away or so. Then I stand there while they lay, and gradually I lower down to kneel and wait some more. Sometimes I stay there for up to 20-30 minutes until the tension fades (in myself too).
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 4:00 pm

It's really quite simple to get him off that track with positive reinforcement. Have you determined at what distance to other dogs his behavior changes? Once you have that you can start shoving HIGH VALUE treats at him from just beyond that distance. Then slowly build on getting that threshold smaller and smaller. Don't treat him if you went too close, just walk him away and try again. With some dogs (mostly idiot sled dogs) I've alternated between heavy praise, high value treats and rope tugs. The rope seems to really help with venting anxiety and getting the dog to be more interested in you. Of course having a helper with an unknown dog that doesn't flip out is part of this equation. Around here we have plenty of dog busy paths to work with. You'll find that a lot of people who have well rounded dogs will be more than willing to stand at distance for a minute or two. Then afterward I like to take five to ten and just sit with the dog relaxing in the grass.

Of course, if you want to seriously get into tackling this you're going to need some outside expertise to identify if his reaction is fear based or something else. Then you can REALLY fine tune a training program. Which by the way, I assume you've got some program going already. Newcomers here go through at least eight weeks of daily one on one stuff.

You might find that his dog park behavior is 180 degrees from his on leash walking behavior. But it's up to you when to try it. One tip is to not let him in when there's no dogs there (his park), or tons of dogs there (pack behavior from the group will overwhelm a reactive dog). I've found this out the hard way with Coco. Oh, and don't take him inside leashed up, that has always failed me.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Wow, Eddy, the part sbout not taking him to the park when there are no other dogs is something I never thought about at all! We have taken Nanuk when he was solo, and luckily haven't had an issue with it. And, Nanuk is very defensive on-leash after being run up on so often in our neighborhood, yet when loose is VERY different with other dogs.
Makes so much sense! Idea
Back to top Go down
Jimmy
Newborn
Newborn
Jimmy

Male Join date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 6:51 pm

gettin some great tips from this post, thanks guys.

....on the Ceasar note, is there an episode w a husky? Only seen maybe 2 of his shows, just curious.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:41 pm

Jimmy wrote:

....on the Ceasar note, is there an episode w a husky? Only seen maybe 2 of his shows, just curious.

i believe he did an episode with a lady who has 3 huskies
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 9:51 pm

snrose wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

i believe he did an episode with a lady who has 3 huskies

There is a great one he did with a husky and a very young boy. I'm pretty sure the title of that show is "A Boy and his dog" The husky was a typical husky that hadn't been properly exercised or trained and it was great to see a young boy so eager to learn the proper way to take care of his dog.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 11:32 pm

2hrs at a husky meet up at the dog park! My 2 are knocked out! Jack did not even move to see what I was eating for dinner.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 am

jbealer wrote:
2hrs at a husky meet up at the dog park! My 2 are knocked out! Jack did not even move to see what I was eating for dinner.

Storm was zonked out too!

Newborn
Newborn
KatoTA

Female Join date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Even tho this post was made a year ago.. i find this information very helpful!!.. I just got a husky not too long ago. He is now 12 weeks and is a handful. He nibbles on anything he can get his mouth on.. including me. I have a few bite marks and scratches to prove so.

I am very new to this forum and if all of you don't mind.. I like to just hop on in with the discussions with everyone. All of the information on here are very helpful for new husky mommy. Thank you!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 3:56 pm

KatoTA wrote:
Even tho this post was made a year ago.. i find this information very helpful!!.. I just got a husky not too long ago. He is now 12 weeks and is a handful. He nibbles on anything he can get his mouth on.. including me. I have a few bite marks and scratches to prove so.

I am very new to this forum and if all of you don't mind.. I like to just hop on in with the discussions with everyone. All of the information on here are very helpful for new husky mommy. Thank you!!!
That's what we're here for! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
KatoTA
Newborn
Newborn
KatoTA

Female Join date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:12 pm

If you have any advice to give me for being a first time mommy. Please do let me know. Any advice will help. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ryan-5555
Newborn
Newborn
Ryan-5555

Male Join date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 am

Huskyluv wrote:
TrippleX wrote:
If only my dog had energy.. lol

She gets hyper for about 20 mins at night. Then shes out like a light.

Oh she will have the energy! She's just a puppy right now and will do tons of sleeping for a little while yet. But give her some time to grow up and shei'll be crazy insane like any other husky. Trust me, enjoy the sanity while it lasts!

this has relieved me quite a bit my pup sleeps so much i understand that he does a serious amount of growing and it must use alot of energy then goes hyper for about 30 minutes i can wait until hes more active
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next