It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 Empty
PostSubject: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 9:30 pm

I thought I'd post videos and photos of Link's bikejoring adventures. Temperatures are cooling down and we should start getting into real training and building endurances now that commands and solid.

Video #1

Video #2

First we started out with the Walky Dog. Then one day when Abby and I went to a bike trail together, I realized I had forgotten the bar to my Walky Dog, and tried to let Link run in front of the bike. He did fabulous and responded to my commands very well, the only he had trouble with was walking by other dogs as he found it hard to ignore them. At the moment I'm using a large PetCo harness (that was Yuki's, but I never use it on her now that I've got my WYDWL harnesses) but then I debated between the trail harness and the x-back. I ended up letting Abby borrow my Walky Dog and since I don't see myself using it again (at least not for a while) I ended up going with a custom-made x-back! Link was unsure at first but now I think he likes it Very Happy

Last edited by Mobezilla on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 10:38 pm

He looks happy!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Rocio_Caballero wrote:
He looks happy!

Thank you! I certainly like to think he is Smile
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 pm

If you plan on dog sledding I would go with the x-back. If not the trail harness works just fine. I use the trail harness with Loki.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
If you plan on dog sledding I would go with the x-back. If not the trail harness works just fine. I use the trail harness with Loki.

I do not plan on dog sledding as I said in my intro for years if I ever do, sleds are for 3+ huskies and only having two at the moment I know I won't be sledding anytime soon as I would have to expand my pack and that won't be for years yet. And even if I have more I may stick to scootering or bike-joring, but at least for now (and the next few years) it will just be my two pups and a bike. Do you like your trail harness? Pros/Cons to it?
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 pm

I do like the trail harness they are well put together can't think of any cons at the moment. I would like add some more to my pack but limited on space. I think you would be ok with a kicksled with your two sibes.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 am

I would also use my phone to track Loki's progress.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 am

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
I do like the trail harness they are well put together can't think of any cons at the moment. I would like add some more to my pack but limited on space. I think you would be ok with a kicksled with your two sibes.

Thanks! I still don't plan on buying a kicksled simply because I don't see myself being able to afford any major purchases. I've got a car loan to pay off and after that loan is paid off I want to attend a dog training college which will be another loan to pay off. One last question, did you get a custom fit or adjustable one, and how old was Loki when you bought it? Link is 17 months and I'm a tad afraid of him filling out in his last 7 months and out-growing the harness if I get him a custom fit, although to me he seems done growing.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:47 am

I got the adjustable one and he was about 9 months old when I bought it.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 2:08 am

That is pretty amazing!
Link knows "slow" and "walk" both.
Wow!
Bodhi just knows "go."

I am using the Nordkyn recreation harness with a belly band.
It works for walky dog, backpacking, running and skijoring.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:29 am

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
I got the adjustable one and he was about 9 months old when I bought it.

Thank you, I may end up getting the adjustable but the other part of me thinks he may not fill out much more.

jalepeno wrote:
That is pretty amazing!
Link knows "slow" and "walk" both.
Wow!
Bodhi just knows "go."

I am using the Nordkyn recreation harness with a belly band.
It works for walky dog, backpacking, running and skijoring.

Yes I saw that one, it looks pretty nice! So many choices x.x
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 12:56 pm

If I may, I do not own any Alpine outfitters equipment but in my research I have never read a bad review about anything they sell.  Ultra-Paws also makes very good equipment but shop around because I have seen a big difference in price (best I found was at a brick and mortar store).  I own the ultra-paws skijor belt and love it.  
As for harness type, I think it is personal preference.  I use an x-back for the kick sled, skijor, and bikejoring and have no problems with it, however, I have found I like using the springer on the bike more than bikejoring and the x-back harness doesn't work with it.  My choice for this would be the Alpine custom trail harness with the side D-rings(a video of it in use is out there somewhere I just don't remember the link) Ultra-paws may have a trail harness similar to the Alpine one also.

Now for a quick plug of my favorite sport:hijacked:, Skijor with your dog is the best!  To me nothing is as exhilarating as a crisp day, bright sun, and me and the dog on the trail.  This has to be experienced it's just to intense to put in writing.  There, I'm done.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:03 pm

By the way, notice the single dog kick-sled(with Granddaughter musher) and my Maya who seems to be smiling, well I see it that way. As stubborn as she can be if it wasn't fun she wouldn't do it. I don't use it much because I like to ski but on occasion I like to pretend I'm Admiral Bird looking for the pole. The kid really like it!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Hughie wrote:
If I may, I do not own any Alpine outfitters equipment but in my research I have never read a bad review about anything they sell.  Ultra-Paws also makes very good equipment but shop around because I have seen a big difference in price (best I found was at a brick and mortar store).  I own the ultra-paws skijor belt and love it.  
As for harness type, I think it is personal preference.  I use an x-back for the kick sled, skijor, and bikejoring and have no problems with it, however, I have found I like using the springer on the bike more than bikejoring and the x-back harness doesn't work with it.  My choice for this would be the Alpine custom trail harness with the side D-rings(a video of it in use is out there somewhere I just don't remember the link) Ultra-paws may have a trail harness similar to the Alpine one also.

Now for a quick plug of my favorite sport:hijacked:, Skijor with your dog is the best!  To me nothing is as exhilarating as a crisp day, bright sun, and me and the dog on the trail.  This has to be experienced it's just to intense to put in writing.  There, I'm done.
Hughie wrote:
By the way, notice the single dog kick-sled(with Granddaughter musher) and my Maya who seems to be smiling, well I see it that way.  As stubborn as she can be if it wasn't fun she wouldn't do it.  I don't use it much because I like to ski but on occasion I like to pretend I'm Admiral Bird looking for the pole.  The kid really like it!  

Yes I know they love pulling, Link certainly LOVES to bikejore however I just do not see myself making any major purchases such as a kicksled or any new dog equipment besides harnesses as I am currently trying to build up a savings and pay off my loans. So for now and the next couple years we are just going to be jogging with my walking belt and bikejoring Smile Thanks for your input though, I'm definitely leaning towards the alpine trail harness right now.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:13 pm

jalepeno wrote:

Bodhi just knows "go."

Cracked me up. This is Pippa. She knows "stop" when we're running, but I can't get it to transfer over to biking haha.

He's fantastic though! So cool to see him coming into his own with you!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm

katiesham wrote:

jalepeno wrote:

Bodhi just knows "go."

Cracked me up. This is Pippa. She knows "stop" when we're running, but I can't get it to transfer over to biking haha.

Hahaha! The girls know "go" and sorta "slow" and "stop." They'll stop at stop signs though. xD
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 pm

katiesham wrote:

jalepeno wrote:

Bodhi just knows "go."

He's fantastic though! So cool to see him coming into his own with you!

MayaAndSophie wrote:

katiesham wrote:

jalepeno wrote:

Bodhi just knows "go."
Hahaha! The girls know "go" and sorta "slow" and "stop." They'll stop at stop signs though. xD

Thanks Katie, he's doing so great and I'm so proud of his training. I can't believe that it's only been two short months but I've already fallen in love with him. I'm especially happy he does so well with commands as he will be a great teacher for Yuki. Now.. if only he could learn how to ignore other dogs he sees along the way!

And yeah Abby I loved how Sophie started slowing down when she saw that stop sign on the bike trail.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:40 am

Another video! Also put it in the original post.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:38 pm

lol i have no intentions of sledding, but all three of mine have xbacks. I used them when we went to Husky Camp last year since I didn't need to worry about them backing out of them like they can with other harnesses. I also use them when they're on the bike. Mine are all from Alpine
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
lol i have no intentions of sledding, but all three of mine have xbacks. I used them when we went to Husky Camp last year since I didn't need to worry about them backing out of them like they can with other harnesses. I also use them when they're on the bike. Mine are all from Alpine

I'm debating on the X-backs simply because of a price difference but quite honestly I feel the Trail would be better as it could work with my Walky Dog where as the X-back doesn't do so well with it as Hughie mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 am

A bike adventure with Abby's girls!

Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 am

Totally cool.

Do you have a GoPro?
If I tried that with my phone, I'd crash.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 am

jalepeno wrote:
Totally cool.

Do you have a GoPro?
If I tried that with my phone, I'd crash.

Does the GoPro attach to the bike or something? I use a little nikon coolpix, one hand on the handle, then the side of my other wrist that was holding the camera on the other handle so I still felt pretty balanced. I didn't have to pedal hardly at all, Link did most the work. ^-^
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 am

Megan, do you do pulling with Yuki too or just Link?

I can not wait until I do pulling sports with my Link...the anticipation alone is suffocating. I'm mostly gonna do rollerjoring with him but some sledding too eventually, either alone lightly or with the other gang of Huskies in Seattle as a team.

P.s. I never asked you this before but I have been so curious, why the name Link?  Is it a Legend of Zelda reference or something else.  Around Seattle he is know as red Link, or sometimes, Link 2 Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 2:16 am

seattlesibe wrote:
Megan, do you do pulling with Yuki too or just Link?

I can not wait until I do pulling sports with my Link...the anticipation alone is suffocating.  I'm mostly gonna do rollerjoring with him but some sledding too eventually, either alone lightly or with the other gang of Huskies in Seattle as a team.

P.s. I never asked you this before but I have been so curious, why the name Link?  Is it a Legend of Zelda reference or something else.  Around Seattle he is know as red Link, or sometimes, Link 2 Smile

Yuki is only 11 months old so she is not yet pulling. She will be joining us in March of 2014 though!

I was the same way with Yuki before I got Link, excitedly waiting for the time she could pull. Link has been an awesome partner to have, he's very energetic, eager to please, and always ready for more. Bikejoring is quite honestly my favorite thing to do right now.

And yes, his name is from Legend of Zelda Smile Cloud is also from a video game, Final Fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13   Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Link and Yuki's Bikejoring Adventures - Updated 11/21/13

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next