It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help stop the screaming

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
jjesz
Newborn
Newborn
jjesz

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Help stop the screaming - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Eric I'm not gonna get all fired up I only did that cuz people were treating like I'm a terrible person to my dog and i'm just going about things like i've done before and like I know other people have not with huskys but with other big dogs.
Back to top Go down
jjesz
Newborn
Newborn
jjesz

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Jenn yes I know my lifestyle is better for cats I use to have cats but then I married a guy who's allergic so there went the cats. The vet idea was just told to me by another user so we will try the route. About the day of screaming and this is bad cuz it makes me feel bad and just not know what to do. He seems to be worse if we spend alot of time with him the day before. Which we need to spend time with him but then that happens and its like what do I do spend time with him on the weekend then when monday come that happens. the Tv thing he just screams over it.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:40 pm

I can't offer much advice but I hope everything can work out for the best. Making the mood lighter and improving communications as opposed to everyone simply ranting is definitely a step in the right direction, so good job on that. ^_^

Being from a small town myself (although it's about 500 people larger than your town...) I hear you when you say that things like a dog walker are rare. I don't know what your family situation is like but maybe if Diesel was meant to be a family pet your family could help out a bit. Obviously it's ridiculous to put all the responsibility on you if you have to commute 70+ miles every day. So perhaps if the farm isn't too far from your house maybe your dad could come home to let him out every 2-3 or so hours for a potty break and other things along those lines. Alternatively if you have any neighbors that you are good friends with maybe you could ask them to help too?

I don't expect any of my ideas to be great or useful but I thought I'd throw them out there anyways. Once again good luck and I hope everything can come out good in the end; I don't believe you are a bad or an irresponsible person, it's just impossible to be completely prepared for everything. However as long as there is a will there is a way. Smile
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 pm

jjsez I'm sorry you're offended by various posts in this thread. I looked it over and didn't see anything worthy of a reported post.  To me it looks like people are doing their best by being honest and trying to portray to you the reality that comes with owning a husky (unlike all the people who just gave you the good traits of them).  Take the statements as a form of increased knowledge on your behalf and make an attempt to utilize it in a way that suits you and your dogs best interests.

Chad

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Kmackey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 7:36 pm

I am a total Newb to this site and not a suitable husky owner myself (see "Max needs new pack" post) so maybe I'm way off base with these suggestions. But it occurs to me that half the issues Jerica has with Deisal are related to the fact that this is a pack dog with no pack (dog or human) for the vast majority of every day. The other half of the issues are toilet related because he grew up in a crate (before Jerica even got him) and had to overcome his natural aversion to not toileting where he sleeps and the lengths of time between someone being available to let him out now are way too long a stretch for a pup his age. Both of which, it seems to me, could be solved by finding a way to make the "going to the farm with Dad" situation work. It sounds like both Dad and Deisal would be grateful for each others company throughout the day and on the rides to and from. I have small livestock and chickens myself, so I completely understand why having Dad tethered to a puppy on a leash while trying to do farm chores won't work AND why having a dog with a highly developed prey instinct run loose on the farm won't either. But why not invest in a 20' tie out chain (about $10 at Walmart) and have Dad move it around the farm as needed so Deisal can keep him insight but not be underfoot while the chores are being done. The type with clasps on both ends are very easily looped around anything and clasped to itself, ie bumper of Dad's vehicle, a tree, the tractor, whatever else is handy to hook him on. As long as Dad gives him a bit of love and attention each time he passes by while doing his work and keeps a fresh water bowl filled for him, I'm guessing Deisal would adjust more readily to this level of daily companionship to what he currently has going on.

And I just feel the need to say, Jerica I feel for your situation. It sounds to me like you are a person who needs a pet in your life and losing the ability to have a cat is a real bummer. :(I think you unwittingly got in over your head with this situation...wrong breed for your needs and an older dog instead of a puppy might have been a better fit. But now that the damage is done, you are just trying to figure out how to deal with the situation as best you can with your available resources. If you need someone to give you permission to say this isn't working and I need to get rid of this dog...consider it said. There is no shame in that and it doesn't make you a bad person! Just please take the advice the good folks here have given as to how you go about finding a new home for Deisal. Also, I do understand that "farm dogs" are rarely treated as house pets and it sounds to me from your posts like the dogs you talked about growing up with were indeed farm dogs. I did notice however, that you mentioned more than one so if all else fails and you are determined to keep Deisal...and this is where I think folks are gonna want to yell at me for saying this, but here goes...at least consider getting him a companion. Just do a bit more research this time so you get a breed that is better suited to the lifestyle you have to offer. Best of luck with your situation, I hope you find a good resolve for both you and Deisal soon!
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm

My husky pup is 7 1/2 months old and there isn't a time of day that I can leave her alone ever because of separation anxiety, "it's a husky thing"..seriously. But, I expected this could happen before I even brought her home. She has to be with people at all times ("it's a husky thing", they like their pack!)...or she howls, cries, etc. I NEVER would of even thought of owning a husky if I knew I wouldn't be home to spend most of my time with one.

It is definitely possible to own a husky while working long hours, every one does it. However, when you are not working and you are home....that puppy needs to be walking, playing,training with YOU at all times. He/she is part of your family...or at least that's how I feel!

As for the off leash topic, I wouldn't recommend. Selena knows her commands very well, she will stop on a dime if I say stay. But....if they see something they really want (high prey drive "it's a husky thing" once again!), they are gone like the wind and will keep running.

I hope it all works out for you!
Back to top Go down
jjesz
Newborn
Newborn
jjesz

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Kmackey I can't thank you enough for everything you said because its all true and you truly understand. Many people today have given me good dog advise but you are the first person to actually make me feel like I can do this and that I'm good enough for Diesel.
Back to top Go down
Kmackey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 pm

You are very welcome, Jerica. I'm glad I could offer you some encouragement! I think if you read up a bit more so you can better understand some basic things about his breed, you could make a few adjustments here and there that could end up resulting in big differences. For example, did you know that pack oriented dogs instinctively go on a "pack walk" to hunt for food before eating. So in the morning, you should take him on that 20-30 minute walk you give him before feeding him his breakfast kibble. Of course, give him as much love and attention as you can squeeze in before you have to leave for work so he learns to feel secure in his relationship with you. Than, if he has to spend a little time in his outside crate before Dad takes him to the farm, be sure to put him in it with as little fuss as possible. If you get distressed by the process, he will too. If you act calm and like it's no big deal, he may eventually be less distressed by it, especially once he learns to trust that it will only be for a brief time. (I would also empty his crate of everything except one special toy that he only gets to have in his crate, sometimes that helps.)

I really hope you find a way to make the farm arrangement work out during the majority of his daytime hours. A 20' lead is long enough that Dad can throw a ball or stick for Deisal whenever he walks by, which should help with burning off some of that puppy energy he's storing up right now. There is no shortage of interesting smells for a dog to investigate on a farm and if Dad moves him about a few times throughout the day, that should keep things stimulating for him. Again, if there is a gap of time between Dad bringing him home from the farm and you returning from work, make sure Dad crates him with his special toy and no other fuss.

When you get home, take him for that good long evening walk before he gets his dinner kibble (but make sure it is at least a couple of hours before he is crated for the night so he will have a chance to move his bowels). Try to give him as much family time as possible for the rest of the evening and take him out to do his business at least one more time before bed. This doesn't need to be another long walk, just a 5 minute let's get down to business trip outside to avoid nighttime accidents in the crate. A solid feed schedule, twice a day and preferably at the same time each day will go miles to eliminating the poop issues.

I do think you might have to consider giving him a smaller kennel to sleep in, in somebody's bedroom or at least in view of his people, if you want to make the night time screaming go away. It should only be big enough for him to lay down in and would probably be better if its the metal wire kennel type than the plastic crate type, so he doesn't feel so seperated. Huskies never outgrow the need to be in a pack environment at all times, it's instinctive in them more so than other breeds. As long as he is a single dog, to him you and your family members are his pack. Being "cast out" of the pack, which is how Deisal interprets the time spent in his outside crate, is extremely distressing for him. He has no understanding of why he is being "cast out" or how long it will last and what he needs to do to be accepted back into the pack. You have to understand, Huskies are the closest domestic breed to wolves and in the wild being in a pack means survival, while being cast out means almost certain death. Now imagine how much more frightening this must be for a pup with no mother to protect him and suddenly his screaming makes perfect sense.

I don't think the issues will all disappear overnight, but Huskies are extremely intelligent so if you're able to make these few small changes and establish a good solid routine around what you already are doing, he should make the adjustment in time. Dogs are nothing like cats and puppies especially take alot of patience, but if you can be consistent and persevere...you should see positive changes in a month or two. Best of luck to you, I hope you keep us updated on your progress! Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Yikes, this thread... Look, at the end of the day these dogs are very oriented to their people. You need to find a way to make an effort to make that happen. Otherwise you're going to continue to have a screaming puppy. 5 hours is too long for a 16 week old to hold their bowels, especially if they're not sleeping.either a run need to be constructed or someone needs to check on the puppy and let them out more frequently. It has to happen. I don't know where you did your research but most sources are very vocal about their "negative attributes." This breed has a high predatory drive and loves to chase. Farm life may not be the best for a Husky.

If you want to keep Diesel you and your family need to make a serious effort to raise him- or things will only increase in difficulty. A puppy is hard work.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 am

jjesz wrote:
Kmackey I can't thank you enough for everything you said because its all true and you truly understand. Many people today have given me good dog advise but you are the first person to actually make me feel like I can do this and that I'm good enough for Diesel.

I'm confused. At first you sought justification in which it would make you feel better to sell him, and now you're wishing for justification to keep him? You refused to hire a dog walker because you feared him getting attached to someone else yet that could have saved you from a situation where you had to get rid of him. To me that is just your immaturity showing through because if you honestly cared about his well being you WOULD do everything possible to make sure he gets the proper care he needs, if it can't come from you. Huskies are social dogs and can be great with people and other animals, but they require hard work, socialization, training to make them a well-behaved and sociable dog. You say you've done your research but to me you don't seem prepared. I'm sorry to say that a husky does not seem like that right dog for you and if you refuse to follow the advice that's already been given to you then yes rehoming would be in Diesel's best interest.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 am

Mobezilla wrote:

I'm sorry to say that a husky does not seem like that right dog for you and if you refuse to follow the advice that's already been given to you then yes rehoming would be in Diesel's best interest.

I have to agree with this statement. You come on here expecting us to give you validation in your quest to "sell" your dog. That right there shows me how much you "care" about this dog. If I ever had to give up one of my pups, I would not "sell" them. You then get angry because nobody coddled you like you expected. Sorry sweetie, people here don't do that. They tell it like it is and that's that. You expect a PUPPY who is the same as a BABY to be perfectly okay with being left alone and having to wait FIVE hours before it can go to the bathroom. OF COURSE he is peeing and pooping all over himself. Based on how you have presented yourself, you have no desire to work it out with this poor puppy. Siberians are not "farm dogs". You obviously did minimal to no research on this breed. I suggest you take that puppy to a rescue and get yourself a Gold Fish. Much more up your alley.

I got my first dog at 19, and I now have two and a foster dog. It's not that hard to grow up and take care of a living being. Quit being so self centered and expecting your puppy to act like a 5 year old dog.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 am

Like Kelsey, I got my first dog when I was 18, last year. I also switched jobs from a very high paying job that gave me a raise within my first 6 months and extra shifts as well as a caring staff to a job with half the hours, with less pay per hour, but with the convenience of being a minute down the road from my house. Now I am gone 3 hours minimum and 8 hours maximum depending on my shift, with a half hour lunch in the middle to check on the dogs and let them outside and such. At my old job I would be gone 11 hours per day with no chance of checking on them during my lunch due to being so far away, which is why I changed jobs for them. Sure I'm not making as much money, but I know the dogs are much happier spending more time with me and I don't regret making a decision that altered my life for my dogs.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 11:03 am

Quote :
i'm just going about things like i've done before and like I know other people have not with huskys but with other big dogs.
Right here....huskies are NOT like other dogs. I have read through this whole thread and the thing that keeps cropping up is you comparing him to other dogs. I grew up with other types of dogs. Huskies are nothing like them. They are totally different set of rules. You can't tie a husky up outside, they aren't that type of dog. To be perfectly honest, no dog should be tied up outside. They are pack oriented, they want to be with you. And trust me, a husky will like the dog walker you hire, but you are still Mommy and Mommy rules over all. I would definitely see if there is a day care near your job and take Diesel in the morning when you go to work. A couple days a week would really help him out. Look into obediance classes. It also sounds like he may be getting overworked in the evening. An hour long walk is WAY too long for a four month old puppy. He needs five minutes for every month of age, so at four months old he should only be walking twenty minutes at a time. Substitute that extra time with training. Mental stimulation can be just as tiring as exercise. Work on sit, stay, lay down, etc. I do this with my pup, who is now ten months old, and she is a dream. At the end of the day, she falls asleep on the couch next to me. Yes they can be hyper, but a tired husky is a happy husky and they don't get enough exercise being out in the yard by themselves. There is no stimulation and its just not the same. A lot of good suggestions have been offered, I hope that you go through with them. The both of you will benefit from them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help stop the screaming   Help stop the screaming - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help stop the screaming

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3