It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do you find a reputable breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikkan77
Newborn
Newborn
mikkan77

Female Join date : 2010-08-30

How do you find a reputable breeder? Empty
PostSubject: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi all,

I've been scanning the internet for ages trying to find a breeder that seems legitimate and isn't simply a backyard breeder/puppy mill.
It's been quite frustrating so far, and I've either been led to sites riddled with internet adds or ones that seem really fishy.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for finding a breeder? There is only one so far that may have potential but the downside is its about an 18 hour drive away to check out first hand. I'm not planning on purchasing a puppy for about another year or so, but I've heard sometimes it can take up to two years on a waiting list to get a puppy from a reputable breeder. Also I was wondering how much puppy costs on average as I've seen listings for purebreds anywhere between $500-$1000 CND.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jessica
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 8:51 pm

I will get to this... promise. I'll edit this post when I do-- I just don't want you thinking I'm ignoring you Smile Until then, others may feel free!

EDIT: How's that? Smile See below...

How do you find a reputable breeder? Hailey10

Last edited by Koda on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikkan77
Newborn
Newborn
mikkan77

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Koda wrote:
I will get to this... promise. I'll edit this post when I do-- I just don't want you thinking I'm ignoring you Smile Until then, others may feel free!

No worries Koda, I didn't think that at all Smile I just started a new thread in case someone has the same question as me or if someone hasn't read my intro post from the other day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Where to look:
-The first place I would start is with your local, regional, or national Siberian Husky Club. The national Siberian Husky Clubs also have great websites. They have a list of breeders there that will be much more reputable than a simple google search. (In the USA: Siberian Husky Club of America; in Canada: Siberian Husky Club of Canada; in the UK: Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain).
-Another great place to look is your local area's club. Perhaps there's one in your province. In the states there's usually one per region (New England for example).
-Talk to your vet- ask if they know of any breeders in the area.
-Local or regional dog shows are a GREAT place to go meet breeders as well. Local mushing clubs will also be knowledgeable.
-You can also check the AKC classifieds for AKC Breeders of Merit (breeders who health test their dogs, work or show their dogs, and are in good standing with the AKC). Be careful looking at the other breeders listed on the AKC site. Requirements for AKC breeders are very sparse. Only the best (and what we would consider "reputable") will be listed as a "Breeder of Merit."

What to look for:
1. Will the breeder provide health tests for both the dog and the bitch? You want OFA Certifications and eye tests done on both dogs. How old are the parents? Proper health tests can't be performed until the age of 2.
2. Ask the breeder why he/she decided to breed these two parents? What about the parents makes them excellent examples of the breed? Breeding should only be done to better the breed. If the breeder does not show or race their dogs, this is generally a red flag.
3. How many litters a year does he/she usually produce? A reputable breeder would produce one maybe two litters a year and ONLY ever one litter at a time and CERTAINLY not back-to-back on the same bitch.
4. The breeder should properly explain Siberian Huskies to you. They should ask how much exercise you can commit to your dog a day and ensure that you understand the difficulties with the breed. COMMUNICATION is the key here.
5. Spay/Neuter Contracts: The breeder should ensure that if you are not planning on showing, that you sign a spay/neuter contract. Any breeder who does not REQUIRE this is sketchy IMO.
6. The breeder should require that if for any reason you cannot care for your dog any longer OR if your pup comes down with any medical or genetic condition, that you return the dog to him/her. A good breeder stands by his/her dogs that he/she brought into the world.
7. Both parents should be registered with a Kennel Club (American Kennel Club (AKC), Candian Kennel Club (CKC), etc.) The Continental Kennel Club (ConnKC) and is a lot less picky about their registered dogs. I would be wary of ConnKC registrations and ask the breeder why they chose the ConnKC. The American Pet Registry (APR) is a bit fishy as well. This goes back to breeders breeding to better the breed and not just to make money or as a hobby. You want a breeder that shows or races and the Kennel Club should require this (ConnKC and APR do not).
8. The puppies should come with papers or at least the OPTION to have registration papers.
9. INBREEDING (within 2 generations)is generally frowned upon. Check the lineage of the parents.
10. How long do you have to wait to pick up the puppy? IMPORTANT socialization skills happen between the first 5-8 weeks of the puppy's life. In the USA, 8 weeks is the earliest I would pick up any puppy. In the UK, I know restrictions are lighter as I think 6 weeks is acceptable. I would hold off until 8 weeks as much as possible, but the breeder should NEVER give away a puppy before 6 weeks.

What to pay:
It takes about $250 per puppy for vet checkups, shots, etc. This does not include testing for the mother, father, and accommodations/vet visits for the mother. IMO, anything between $250-850 USD is reasonable, however I've seen more. This is a personal decision. I would not pay a DIME if the breeder didn't meet all the criteria listed above.

Other Advice:
Don't be afraid to ask questions! Generally, a breeder will appreciate that you are knowledgeable and doing your research. A breeder that is turned off by any of these questions isn't worth your time.

Note: These tips are formed from my experience with breeders of many breeds, not just the husky, people who have purchased from breeders and the experiences of good friends. These are my opinions and should not be taken as THE WORD. I welcome other opinions, but I think these guidelines are a great place to start your research Smile

How do you find a reputable breeder? Hailey10

Last edited by Koda on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mikkan77
Newborn
Newborn
mikkan77

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks Koda! This checklist is really great! I'm definitely going to print this out so I can have it on hand Smile
Back to top Go down
shimshim14
Newborn
Newborn
shimshim14

Female Join date : 2016-03-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 10:39 pm

I have a follow up question on this topic~

I know there are a few musher/breeders in my area that have AKC registered and health-checked working dogs. They do not charge as high of fees or retain breeding rights as the show dog kennels. Im wondering what the difference tends to be in lines from working huskies vs. the dogs from show kennels?
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 11:42 pm

Siberians from working lines are bred to perform the job their breed was originally created for: dog sledding. The breeders don't care much about their physical appearance as long as they are physically healthy and able to perform their job. These Siberians are often more energetic and they can cause trouble if they are not adequately exercised each day.

Siberians bred for the show ring are bred to look pretty. They are bred as close to the standard as they can possibly get. Many show dogs are pampered to ensure they always look good, and I've also noticed their temperaments are different. They have a calmness to them that working dogs don't have. In a Siberian, it's a little odd to see. Many show dogs may not have the physical soundness to pull a sled. They are often bred on the smaller side to avoid getting near the maximum height for fear of disqualification.

A breeder who has dogs that were bred for both working and the show ring are truly a sight to see! I bought my puppy from such a breeder, and her dogs are magnificent! Truly jaw dropping. They're beautiful, but you can still see the power in their bodies. The breeder uses them in dog sled races as well as the show ring, and she has two Grand Champions. If you can ever find such a breeder like this, it's worth getting on their waiting list.
Back to top Go down
Alex Schwartz
Newborn
Newborn
Alex Schwartz

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 7:20 pm

I have found one listing in the SHCA directory for Missouri breeders. Are there any breeders in Missouri that this website trusts and currently breed?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you find a reputable breeder?   How do you find a reputable breeder? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you find a reputable breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1