It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

That one about college...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

That one about college... Empty
PostSubject: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 pm

So I have been worried about this for a little while and most of the answers I've come up with are only short term solutions; no matter how I slice it in only 2 short years I'll be packing my bags for college. Now I plan to go local and commute which isn't the problem. The problem is that I will have considerably less time in college than in high school, especially when it comes to taking care of a dog. I know (or at least I hope) that there are probably some of you who were able to successfully have a Husky and graduate from college at the same time. So I was wondering, how did you do it exactly? I do have younger siblings who could help out but since I would be the main caretaker of a husky, that would only go so far. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated as well as any constructive criticism you would like to give, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm

It's very doable really, just don't expect to have a social life haha. I'll be graduating next year, everyone said there's no way I could get an 8 week old puppy and do school and commute from about an hour away. Well I did it anyway, and it's been great. One thing is try to schedule so you only have class 3 days a week (sign up for all MWF classes or TTh classes, etc) or try to schedule large breaks where you can commute home and back to finish the day. I did both of these different quarters and they work equally well. I also have a roomie that would potty her on days I'd be gone too long, your siblings can help with this part like you say. Just make sure that before you go to school and right after you do lots of mental and physical exercise with the pup. Even when you've got a lot of cram for, I promise that 1hr of tiring the pup and 1hr of studying is more productive than 2hrs of trying to ignore a bored puppy trying to play while you study.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 pm

It's definitely do-able. Actually, I think during college a person has a bit more flexibility with time than they do once they've graduated and are working all day every day. In college you aren't actually IN class all day every day. It's more like 12-15 hours a week - perhaps a little bit more if you're taking science classes with a lab. With that rest of that time a student *should* be studying and doing assignments, which can be done from home. However, I always tell my freshmen that they *should* take frequent breaks to go do something fun every couple of hours so that they don't get burnt out from studying for 6 hours straight. (I teach at the college level)
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 4:45 pm

By the time that I finished college, I had two huskies (both under 1) so it can definitely be done but for me it was a lot easier because I did it in my later years and I had a part time job so I was able to financially afford it, and my boyfriend was there to split the bills. I also did MWF classes and only took three in school those days so I was gone for no longer than 3 hours, and the other two I did online and that was nice cause I hated leaving them. My last semester and when I knew we were getting a second puppy I did all my classes online and was always home accept for the 3 hours a day that I went to work and I worked 10 hour days on Saturday's but I got to go home and let them out, and so did my boyfriend after so they were never left alone for more than 3 hours tops while they were puppies. Plus we did daycare just for socialization on Wednesdays when they were old enough so really they were only alone on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Plus I skipped a lot of days when they were puppies (I'm not recommending this though) just because they were so cute and the one teacher that I had for three classes LOVED animals, it was all she talked about so she was fine when I would email her and tell her the puppy needed me! Smile Haha. As long as you can afford the basics and vet, then I would go for it because college is going to be the best schedule you ever have in your life. But they really do tie you down, which I'm fine with because they are worth it and I don't ever go out anyway so that didn't bother me one bit but definitely something to consider. But I've seen your posts around the forum so I think you are pretty dedicated and your puppy or rescue will be well taken care of. Its just such a wake up call when your the only one caring for this animal and its quite an adjustment period but then you can't imagine your life without them but you really have to grow up quickly when you get that husky, so that's something to consider. I would reccomend doing it after your first semester at least, so you can see what your life is like, you might not plan on having a crazy social life but you never know until you get there and really live it.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 pm

My dog lived with my parents while I was in college but I went to school a ways away and visited on weekends. Depending on the kind of school and how far away you live you maybe be required to live on campus your freshman year unless you can establish you live within X number of miles from school at least a year before going. This is something that you will want to know from the school before getting your dog in case you need to wait until you're in your second year. My first two years I had a large work load and not a ton of time but I was a science major and had to really load up to get done in four years. If you are going into science or education you are going to be pretty busy. (At least that's how it was for all the people I knew in those fields that actually wanted good grades) My last two years though I had tons of time and even took care of my roommate's pets, so having a good roommate really helps. School was always easy to schedule openly. Now if you have to work and go to school it might be a little more difficult but you should still be fine if you really want this and prioritize yourself. *cough* *cough*...go easy on the partying.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Its doable. I feel you actually have more time in college. Well sort of. In most cases you dont have to stay on campus to much. Just a lot of home studying. So you can still be at home and study. I work 30 hours a week and full time student and i still am able to take care of koda. During the week might not be as much time with him as he would like but he still get his walk and a few hours or play and belly rub every day. Yull be ok
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Dot wrote:
It's very doable really, just don't expect to have a social life haha. I'll be graduating next year, everyone said there's no way I could get an 8 week old puppy and do school and commute from about an hour away. Well I did it anyway, and it's been great. One thing is try to schedule so you only have class 3 days a week (sign up for all MWF classes or TTh classes, etc) or try to schedule large breaks where you can commute home and back to finish the day. I did both of these different quarters and they work equally well. I also have a roomie that would potty her on days I'd be gone too long, your siblings can help with this part like you say. Just make sure that before you go to school and right after you do lots of mental and physical exercise with the pup. Even when you've got a lot of cram for, I promise that 1hr of tiring the pup and 1hr of studying is more productive than 2hrs of trying to ignore a bored puppy trying to play while you study.

Ah it's okay, the computer has all the social life I need at the moment lol. scheduling classes like you said to seems like an excellent idea, I'll keep that in mind! I should be able to commute back and forth between classes if they're far enough apart time-wise. I'll also split my studying time like you said, thanks a ton! Very Happy

Eresh wrote:
It's definitely do-able. Actually, I think during college a person has a bit more flexibility with time than they do once they've graduated and are working all day every day. In college you aren't actually IN class all day every day. It's more like 12-15 hours a week - perhaps a little bit more if you're taking science classes with a lab. With that rest of that time a student *should* be studying and doing assignments, which can be done from home. However, I always tell my freshmen that they *should* take frequent breaks to go do something fun every couple of hours so that they don't get burnt out from studying for 6 hours straight. (I teach at the college level)

That's pretty interesting, I got a bit scared when looking at my older sister's college schedule but it's nice to know that classes are not a 24/7 sort of thing. I can't really focus my attention on anything academically related for 6 hours straight anyways so that's a nice relief, thank you very much!

siku&nikolai wrote:
By the time that I finished college, I had two huskies (both under 1) so it can definitely be done but for me it was a lot easier because I did it in my later years and I had a part time job so I was able to financially afford it, and my boyfriend was there to split the bills. I also did MWF classes and only took three in school those days so I was gone for no longer than 3 hours, and the other two I did online and that was nice cause I hated leaving them. My last semester and when I knew we were getting a second puppy I did all my classes online and was always home accept for the 3 hours a day that I went to work and I worked 10 hour days on Saturday's but I got to go home and let them out, and so did my boyfriend after so they were never left alone for more than 3 hours tops while they were puppies. Plus we did daycare just for socialization on Wednesdays when they were old enough so really they were only alone on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Plus I skipped a lot of days when they were puppies (I'm not recommending this though) just because they were so cute and the one teacher that I had for three classes LOVED animals, it was all she talked about so she was fine when I would email her and tell her the puppy needed me! :)Haha. As long as you can afford the basics and vet, then I would go for it because college is going to be the best schedule you ever have in your life. But they really do tie you down, which I'm fine with because they are worth it and I don't ever go out anyway so that didn't bother me one bit but definitely something to consider. But I've seen your posts around the forum so I think you are pretty dedicated and your puppy or rescue will be well taken care of. Its just such a wake up call when your the only one caring for this animal and its quite an adjustment period but then you can't imagine your life without them but you really have to grow up quickly when you get that husky, so that's something to consider. I would reccomend doing it after your first semester at least, so you can see what your life is like, you might not plan on having a crazy social life but you never know until you get there and really live it.

Yeah I was crunching some numbers and I should have enough to supports basic needs (food, vet, etc.) I was really worried about not having the time in college though. It is a huge weight off my back knowing that's it's doable. Although I doubt my schedule will be more flexible in college (home schooled ftw Razz) Thanks so much for putting the time into answering my questions!

Twisterll wrote:
My dog lived with my parents while I was in college but I went to school a ways away and visited on weekends. Depending on the kind of school and how far away you live you maybe be required to live on campus your freshman year unless you can establish you live within X number of miles from school at least a year before going. This is something that you will want to know from the school before getting your dog in case you need to wait until you're in your second year. My first two years I had a large work load and not a ton of time but I was a science major and had to really load up to get done in four years. If you are going into science or education you are going to be pretty busy. (At least that's how it was for all the people I knew in those fields that actually wanted good grades) My last two years though I had tons of time and even took care of my roommate's pets, so having a good roommate really helps. School was always easy to schedule openly. Now if you have to work and go to school it might be a little more difficult but you should still be fine if you really want this and prioritize yourself. *cough* *cough*...go easy on the partying.

Oh yeah I suppose I should've added that information, sorry about that. So basically the college I'm looking at is only 20-30 minutes away by car so I'm pretty lucky on that one. However I was looking into Science and/or an Engineering major so I'll probably also end up being really busy trying to get those A's and B's. I'll also need a job on campus most likely, but at least I'm not really a "party animal" unless I've known the group for years so that wont be something I do very often. Thank you for your help!

Ericobeasto wrote:
Its doable. I feel you actually have more time in college. Well sort of. In most cases you dont have to stay on campus to much. Just a lot of home studying. So you can still be at home and study. I work 30 hours a week and full time student and i still am able to take care of koda. During the week might not be as much time with him as he would like but he still get his walk and a few hours or play and belly rub every day. Yull be ok

That's good news. My biggest fear was that I would have to be on campus all day and would never have any time to devote to a pet, I'm really glad I was wrong! So yes, thank you for responding! Very Happy

@everyone: I'm glad to know that I wasn't asking for the impossible and it makes me feel a whole lot better about college and pet ownership, thanks again so much for helping me out guys!

Last edited by AMB on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:12 pm

I agree with the statements already expressed. I had a LOT more time in college than I do now and I have quite a few labs that I had to attend (BS in Software Engineering). I feel that I have way less time now than I did while I was in college. Makes me miss those days sometimes lol! Sometimes. The only thing I'd be concerned with is if you'd be able to afford the dog financially. I know I was pretty well strapped for cash while in college, but I only had a part-time ad-hoc job(s) while I was in school. What you could always do is wait until after your winter term (tends to be the heaviest term at least at my school) and see how you feel about your time then and based on that decide if you can handle getting a husky. Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Yeah, Basic expenses is what's keeping me back from jumping out of the gates and getting a husky right now. Although I do have a job and if I get this other part time job at the local library I should be able to afford everything this October. Plus my parents might be able to help out a bit with basic finances down the road even though I'm fully prepared to pay for everything by myself (after all, with their little endless pit on college food plans they might have some extra $$ Razz) Thanks for the advice! ^_^
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:21 pm

I agree that you should wait a term and see what your schedule is like. Or maybe even a year to get a part time job and save up some money. If you waited until your Soph. year or even a term, you would have a taste of what college is like and what your time schedule looks like. Plus, you could even be a full time student your first year and get a lot of classes out of the way to only be part time when you decide you are ready.

So, my personal advice would be to wait either a year or term and see what you think. See if you think you can juggle school and a pup. No harm in waiting Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:27 pm

You're right there isn't any harm in waiting and it's probably the smarter thing to do, except that I'm really really impatient (I know it's a huge problem of mine >.> ) and I kind of wanted to get a dog in my high school years since I wont be going to college for awhile, more specifically this fall in my Junior year. Outside of being greedy/impatient/snobby it might also be a lot of stress getting a dog in my freshman year while having to handle a new school system. Although in the end you're probably right about waiting...

Thanks for the advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:31 pm

I think you can handle it honestly. I miss the college days, looking back, I feel like I had so much free time! I think the social thing is key though. How much of your non class time do you want/expect to spend away from home? What about clubs and other activities you may want to be involved in? Internships? There is a lot to consider, and its an added responsibility to have someone depending on you at home, but at the same time, if you get your dog this october or sometime this winter, you'll have 2 years to understand your pups needs. From your thoughtful questions and posts, I have no doubt that you would be able to manage having a husky in college.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 pm

As sucky as it sounds, depending on what you're going to be majoring in, you may want to wait until you are out and have a job to get one. In college I had way more time for a pet. Now that I work full time it's a whole different story. If I had gotten a puppy in college I would have a young dog now and I don't have the time for a younger more hyperactive dog now. Of course depending on your major that may never be an issue for you, but you will want to take into consideration what your life could be or will be like after college. It's the whole forever dog thing, not just an until I'm out of college then have no time for a dog because I took a job in Tokyo thing. With as long as you have diligently waited and wanted I'm certain you won't do that, but it's just another thing to be thinking about in the back of your mind.

Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 6:05 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
I think you can handle it honestly. I miss the college days, looking back, I feel like I had so much free time! I think the social thing is key though. How much of your non class time do you want/expect to spend away from home? What about clubs and other activities you may want to be involved in? Internships? There is a lot to consider, and its an added responsibility to have someone depending on you at home, but at the same time, if you get your dog this october or sometime this winter, you'll have 2 years to understand your pups needs. From your thoughtful questions and posts, I have no doubt that you would be able to manage having a husky in college.

To be honest I kind of like it here, so I wont be away form home very long at all if I can help it. I also don't care for clubs and I rather avoid an internship unless I could potentially get a big scholarship out of it or something like that. My hopes were to get a dog sooner rather than later so like you said, the transition would be as bad, however there may be some benefits in waiting I suppose... Thanks for the advice! Very Happy

TwisterII wrote:
As sucky as it sounds, depending on what you're going to be majoring in, you may want to wait until you are out and have a job to get one. In college I had way more time for a pet. Now that I work full time it's a whole different story. If I had gotten a puppy in college I would have a young dog now and I don't have the time for a younger more hyperactive dog now. Of course depending on your major that may never be an issue for you, but you will want to take into consideration what your life could be or will be like after college. It's the whole forever dog thing, not just an until I'm out of college then have no time for a dog because I took a job in Tokyo thing. With as long as you have diligently waited and wanted I'm certain you won't do that, but it's just another thing to be thinking about in the back of your mind.

Well I'm not exactly sure what my major will be yet, I'm still a little ways off from college after all. Although my top 5 majors are either Biology, Physics, Political Science, Digital Media, or some sort of Engineering. I'm also considering a more Math Based major but I like science. One thing is for sure though; once I get a dog I plan on never getting rid of him, ever. I understand that it's a loosely made promise by many people but I plan to hold true to my word.  The bigger question for me now is should I get a dog now or several years down the road when I start college... I'll probably have more money and time now, although in college I might have a better part time job and the future is just straight up filled with unknowns so my position might be better then...
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

I have 3 Huskies, live in my own apartment, work 1 full time job, 1 part time job and go to school part time. Sometimes it's very overwhelming, but we deal Smile My boyfriend only works 3 days a week so even with me working or at school most of the time, my dogs are only left alone for maybe 5 hours all week, which I love. It's definitely possible, especially if you have a roomate/girlfriend that you can trust with your future dog. I usually have my days off from work, on the days I have class, so even if I lived alone, my dogs would only be kenneled for 8 hours a day, which used to be normal for them and they did just fine. As long as they either got a walk or a trip to the dog park before, we never had an issue
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Oh okay, so basically I don't have to worry about college and instead I should be more worried about having time after college? Either way time management is something I'll need to get better at... Thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 pm

This is one of those areas that depends so much on the individual and the situation. What can work out brilliantly for some will be an absolute failure for others. I don't doubt that you could do it if you set your mind to it and stay committed to all your goals. I'm a very impatient person too when I want something, generally when I make up my mind that I want something I have to have it right away (one of my many flaws). But when it came to getting a husky I really wanted to get one while I was in college but ultimately I reasoned that I would be better suited for the breed when I had more time to devote to such a high maintenance dog and after I knew what my post college work schedule would be like. I am a total homebody so parties and social events were never my thing in college. When I wasn't at school or at work I was at home...which honestly wasn't very much. I lived in my own apartment and paid all my own expenses in college which meant working as much as my full time school schedule would allow. I was at work by 6:45 am every morning for an hour or two, then headed straight to school for my classes. After school I headed straight back to work from 4 pm to 10:30 pm. So I was away from my apartment from about 6:25 am to 10:30-11:00 pm Monday through Friday...way too long to leave a dog home alone, and I was barely making enough money to make ends meet (rent, insurance, food, gas, utilities, tuition, books, etc). I also had to work some Saturdays and Sundays as well but I usually had most of my weekends available to stay home and get studying, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, and spending time with my then boyfriend (now hubby).

In my situation, I was run ragged with my schedule and between that and my barely making enough to make ends meet for just myself, I know it was the best decision for me personally to wait. Not at all suggesting that you should do one or the other, just offering another side to the equation is all. It's hard to know what life will be like until you're actually in collage. And my first two years of college were really easy and I had loads of free time since I lived at home, didn't have to pay for anything but car insurance and gas, and only worked weekends. My later years in college when I had to do everything on my own and was taking harder/more advanced classes were a completely different story. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 pm

That is a pretty compelling argument, I wish there was a way to tell exactly how much time a day I'd be gone and how much extra cash I would have. But until those events come to pass I'll just be left in the dark making the best (and hopefully unbiased) guess that I can... Thanks for sharing your experience as it is very helpful and most definitely critical information!
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:33 pm

It is very do able.. I am in college now. I have three dogs and a cat. I have a shepherd, malamute and a husky. I have to walk all three and have play time with them, along with tons of homework and school. What made me have more free time is on line classes IF you can stay motivated. I highly recommend it. Finances, with three dogs is a lot!! I have spend more money on them than I do myself. Ok, I see you are in the United States. So what I would do it apply for FAFSA, it will pay for most or all of your college and gives you extra money. I use mine to help me pay for expenses on my dogs. It's free money. Take advantage of it, it is there.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:48 pm

If you take as many duel credit courses in school that you can that will help with your class load when you get to college too. I had a full semester already done by the time I graduated high school. That helped to let me take a lighter load when I got to college.

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 pm

FAFSA is very tricky. It depends on what your parents make if you get aide or not. My parents work in a Nuclear Plant and make triple digit salaries..therefore, I didn't qualify for aide even though I was putting myself through school. FAFSA isn't that cut and dry; it also depends on how many kids your parents have in college already, if you are the first kid, the only kid... it all factors in. Just wanted to add that in there.

I also want to add that most of us who have dogs and are young, DON'T LIVE ALONE. I have my boyfriend to split expenses with, and we have 3 dogs. It sucks. It's hard, and money is super tight. You have to make the FINANCIAL decision. No matter how hard you try to prepare, you don't REALLY know what it is like until it happens. Will you be able to cover costs in the case of an emergency? For either YOU or your pup?? You have to think about that as well..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 pm

My boyfriend and I got our first husky while in school. It's manageable like others have said. The saving grace for us was that we got Darwin during the summer. We both weren't taking classes that summer so we had the time to dedicate to potty training and training in general. I can't imagine having to go through all the cannon butt we had with Darwin, plus all the vet visits while juggling classes at the same time. By the time Fall classes started, Darwin was potty trained with very frequent accidents, and my boyfriend and my schedule didn't overlap much, so when he'd be at class, I'd be home and opposite when I was in class.

The biggest concern I think would be money more so than time. Anything can happen, and those vet visits are costly. I would look into what your financial situation will be in college. How much is tuition going to be, how much books. I know you said you'd live at home, but what if you decided to move out? Maybe make a budget, and the money that you'd be spending on a pet (if you had one right now) save it for when you do get your pup. That way you'll have a bit of a nest egg going into getting your pup. When Vince and I first got Darwin, we probably spent around 2000+ on vet visits just trying to figure out what was wrong. Our savings were spent pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 am

amychuke wrote:
It is very do able.. I am in college now. I have three dogs and a cat. I have a shepherd, malamute and a husky. I have to walk all three and have play time with them, along with tons of homework and school. What made me have more free time is on line classes IF you can stay motivated. I highly recommend it. Finances, with three dogs is a lot!! I have spend more money on them than I do myself. Ok, I see you are in the United States. So what I would do it apply for FAFSA, it will pay for most or all of your college and gives you extra money. I use mine to help me pay for expenses on my dogs. It's free money. Take advantage of it, it is there.

FAFSA might work for me although I would have to look into it more. Online classes are also something I might be able to do since I'm online a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to support a pet, it would uberly stink otherwise. :(Thanks for the tips though, the information you provided was very helpful!

TwisterII wrote:
If you take as many duel credit courses in school that you can that will help with your class load when you get to college too. I had a full semester already done by the time I graduated high school. That helped to let me take a lighter load when I got to college.

I actually might be able to do that as well; I already have the required amount of high school Math completed and I only need one more year of Science/Foreign Language so I could very well start taking some college courses now to lighten the load. You've been very helpful with all your advice, I'm really grateful! Very Happy

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
FAFSA is very tricky. It depends on what your parents make if you get aide or not. My parents work in a Nuclear Plant and make triple digit salaries..therefore, I didn't qualify for aide even though I was putting myself through school. FAFSA isn't that cut and dry; it also depends on how many kids your parents have in college already, if you are the first kid, the only kid... it all factors in. Just wanted to add that in there.

I also want to add that most of us who have dogs and are young, DON'T LIVE ALONE. I have my boyfriend to split expenses with, and we have 3 dogs. It sucks. It's hard, and money is super tight. You have to make the FINANCIAL decision. No matter how hard you try to prepare, you don't REALLY know what it is like until it happens. Will you be able to cover costs in the case of an emergency? For either YOU or your pup?? You have to think about that as well..

Well FAFSA might not be the best option for me, my dad makes quite a bit (although our family is large so we're not wealthy at all) and I would only be the second kid to go to college in our family etc. Unfortunately I have the #foreveralone syndrome and Mrs. Perfect probably wont come my way until after college. It's a shame but I can't count on having a girlfriend just to help me support a dog, and that's not really fair to ask of her wherever she is. Emergency vet visits are going to be a killer but I'm not too worried about my own well being, I was thinking about just continuously saving up money and borrowing some from my bro if a bill exceeds what I would currently have. It's defiantly not going to be easy either but I'mm willing to do it if possible. All of your warnings and concerns are valid and I am really happy that you're spending time to share some of your wisdom with me, Domo Arigato! Smile

darbear wrote:
My boyfriend and I got our first husky while in school. It's manageable like others have said. The saving grace for us was that we got Darwin during the summer. We both weren't taking classes that summer so we had the time to dedicate to potty training and training in general. I can't imagine having to go through all the cannon butt we had with Darwin, plus all the vet visits while juggling classes at the same time. By the time Fall classes started, Darwin was potty trained with very frequent accidents, and my boyfriend and my schedule didn't overlap much, so when he'd be at class, I'd be home and opposite when I was in class.

The biggest concern I think would be money more so than time. Anything can happen, and those vet visits are costly. I would look into what your financial situation will be in college. How much is tuition going to be, how much books. I know you said you'd live at home, but what if you decided to move out? Maybe make a budget, and the money that you'd be spending on a pet (if you had one right now) save it for when you do get your pup. That way you'll have a bit of a nest egg going into getting your pup. When Vince and I first got Darwin, we probably spent around 2000+ on vet visits just trying to figure out what was wrong. Our savings were spent pretty quickly.

Having a girlfriend would be helpful, however not only will I have a ton of trouble finding one but... My parents... And the fact that I'm living home to save money... Yeah. Razz

I think I can handle paying for college books and such though, looking at what my sister paid for as long as the prices don't change too much then I should be able to wing it. Also I found out that you can get some nice scholarships for playing Pokemon and Soccer, who would've thought? I also rather have a dog than move out once I turn 18 so that's not going to cross my mind anytime soon. The biggest fear I have is like you said, unexpected vet visits. I do have a small-ish stockpile of cash saved up right now that is growing steadily, I'm actually at the point where I can either get a ton of video games/fancy tech or a dog. Although I think I've already made my choice and if I got a pup/rescue in the next few month he'd have plenty of time to adapt before college... Thanks for taking the time to help me out! Wink
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 am

I'm finishing college this year, and I work very hard and a lot - but I have a husband who loves my dogs as much as I do so they are not in crates for very long during the day.

My #1 piece of advice: GET PET INSURANCE. You will thank yourself later.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 4:48 am

Pet insurance does sound like a good idea and an easy way to help with trips to the vet as well. I could totally see the insurance companies laughing their pants off when a 15/16 year old emails/calls them looking for insurance, ah the power of youth. Razz

Anyways all jokes aside pet insurance is a great idea and I'll have to get some when the time comes, thanks for the advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... Empty

Back to top Go down

That one about college...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-