It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When do Huskies typically start shedding?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gabea87
Puppy
Puppy
gabea87

Female Join date : 2013-06-16

When do Huskies typically start shedding? Empty
PostSubject: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 11:26 am

I just want to know when I should expect Lilu to start blowing her coat. I know shes only 9 weeks, so at what age do they start and when? Also, I heard huskies are typically lighter in color in the winter since they blow their top coat which is the darker one? Is this true?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 am

I'm not sure when you could expect her to blow, probably not until next spring/summer. Actually, they blow the undercoat, which is the light colored fluffy wool-like coat. The top coat is the guard hairs which are darker and coarser in texture. The appear darker in the summer because the white or cream undercoat blows and they are left with the guard hair. Dizzy is starting to shed his puppy coat a little bit, but I don't expect a major blow until next summer. Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 pm

It really varies based on dog and when they were born for their first blow. Bode was born at the beginning of May 2012 and didn't start blowing until maybe 1.5-2 months ago. He was too young for the winter blow, so this first coat blow was crazy with puppy fur + winter coat!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Time of year is also a BIG part of it too... Though age will be a factor you normally won't get a blow in the dead middle of summer. It tends to be Late Fall, Early winter..... And Late Spring, Early Summer Wink.

Also don't be surprised if you completely skip the first coat blow...

Tika was about 6 months when it was time for he to blow her coat for the first time and she didn't at all, or if she did it was very light.

Some have a quick blow, and others last for a while before it stops.......... This being the first real summer we've had Ripley since fixing her diet and coat she hasn't stopped the blow since early summer, and it's still going strong.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Sheba is 14 months old and she is STILL in the process of blowing her puppy coat. It's driving me CRAZY. It all depends Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Tika wrote:
Time of year is also a BIG part of it too... Though age will be a factor you normally won't get a blow in the dead middle of summer. It tends to be Late Fall, Early winter..... And Late Spring, Early Summer Wink.
~Chris~

I have to say thank you for this. I have been wondering and searching for when that second blow could happen and had yet to find it. Thank you for that answer. When I got Kenzi she was in the middle of a coat blow and has been packing on the fur ever since so I figure the second is probably going to be bad too, just didn't know how soon or late it could possibly come.

Newborn
Newborn
NCSIBE

Male Join date : 2013-06-11

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Well they shed all the time if you ask me. Oh and Jax is blowing his coat yet again and it the middle of the summer. Might be the weird weather NC has had the past couple months.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 am

As everyone said, it depends on what time of year (season) your pup is born and their age. Also, their first blow maybe a light one. I thought I got lucky on their first blows thinking "this isn't as bad as people described and what I watched in videos" and then the second blow came and now I know what all the fuss is about! Hayden was 10 months old when he had his first blow, Nicky had a mini blow at 9 months, and Brandi is 9 months old now and hasn't started, thankfully!

Nicky is blowing hard core right now and my house looks like a huge husky. I made cupcakes yesterday and looked at them by the end of the day and they were all hairy Sad ... Enjoy the hair-free while you can!! Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 9:03 am

NCSIBE wrote:
Well they shed all the time if you ask me. Oh and Jax is blowing his coat yet again and it the middle of the summer. Might be the weird weather NC has had the past couple months.

I really don't think Bode sheds too bad outside of the coat blow. Our cat seems to shed more than Bo during regular shedding. And I'd rather have two major blows than year round shedding like my parent's Brittany. That dog can shed!
Back to top Go down
Atlasheld
Newborn
Newborn
Atlasheld

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptySat Nov 04, 2017 6:36 am

I'm still confused about the blowouts. I think my pup has blown his coat three freaking times and the year isn't over. As with NCSIBE, we just keep having blowouts and I wonder if the weather is at play. NorCal has gone through several weird heatwaves, and then cools, in the last six months. Ha ha ha, scary to get a new buddy and have him shed that much over three specific times since we got him. He is pretty cute though so...
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptySat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 am

I guess I have been pretty lucky than. Echo's a year old and I feel like he's only gone through one pretty long 3-4-week blow out in in the spring time. I got him at 8 weeks end of December. I have yet to experience a fall or winter shed.

All in all, I find the husky hair a lot more manageable than I anticipated when I first researched about this breed. Maybe I'm just lucky or I'm going to be in for a crazy winter shed soon =P
Back to top Go down
GlitzyPandora38
Newborn
Newborn
GlitzyPandora38

Female Join date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Summer started blowing her coat at 10 months, she was born in January so she blew her coat in October.
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 10:12 am

I'm laughing at the furry cupcakes because relatable.. I vacuum constantly and brush daily. Grant blew his first big adult coat on his birthday last Christmas while I had a house full of guests. He blew it a month ago this year, but who knows? We are in Florida....
Back to top Go down
Vanessa
Newborn
Newborn
Vanessa

Female Join date : 2017-10-17

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Hiiiii, I think Laika's starting to shed (born in mid june last year) my house seems like a big husky as someone mentioned above haha and I thinkk she's also shedding puppy fur? Haven't seen that much hair together! quick question do you recommend using a furminator to help out? I have one for short hair (for Watson the bulldog) but I dunno if it will actually help or maybe damage her non-shedding/protective hair? Question confused
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

Vanessa wrote:
Hiiiii, I think Laika's starting to shed (born in mid june last year) my house seems like a big husky as someone mentioned above haha and I thinkk she's also shedding puppy fur? Haven't seen that much hair together! quick question do you recommend using a furminator to help out? I have one for short hair (for Watson the bulldog) but I dunno if it will actually help or maybe damage her non-shedding/protective hair? Question  confused

I'm not going to touch the topic of a furminator ... take a look at these search results and see for yourself.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Tika wrote:
It tends to be Late Fall, Early winter..... And Late Spring, Early Summer Wink.

Agh no...
Late spring/early summer is around the corner.

We are so enjoying our temporarily clean car, clean house...in fact I am wearing a black fleece jacket at this moment!
During these "in-between"times, his shedding is so light or non-existent!

Well, I guess we don't mind being surrounded by the drifting white fluff of our Rumo...when it's time, it's time...
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 12:01 am

There's no shedding break for us. Mars sheds year-round.  I am happy when there's no fur tumbleweeds.  When tumbleweeds start, brushing season starts in fury for us; brushing daily.  --that's when I know he's changing coat.  And it's about to start!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 pm

anyone see major shedding at around 4 months? my puppy is shedding, alot. i mean alot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When do Huskies typically start shedding?   When do Huskies typically start shedding? Empty

Back to top Go down

When do Huskies typically start shedding?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1