It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A very picky puppy could use advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

A very picky puppy could use advice Empty
PostSubject: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Alright so, rikku is 9 weeks this friday, (had since 7 weeks, early i know, but beyond the point) for the past two weeks I've been strugling to find a food she likes.

I started out weaning her to TOTW pacific samon puppy, she like it for about 2 days then was done with it (she also had coccidia at this time) and so she didnt feel good, i think she links her not feeling good with that food...i had to give her chicken and rice for a few days to get her stool back to normal and after 3 days of that she decided she didnt like it any more (still likes chicken just not with rice) so i started to wean her over to fromm (or something like that) and she ate it for a couple days and is sick of it again,

i dont want to keep changing her food, so i started tricking her by adding chicken in to the food and it seems to be working. but i feel this wont last for long.

so what im looking for is 1) advice in general what to do with her eating habbits 2) what are some thing i can add to her food to keep it interesting for her, chicken , carrots, i heard something about a raw egg once a week is okay ...?..

thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:19 pm

When Okami wouldn't eat food at first, it was because I used putting her parasite medicine in her food as a last resort... she still spit them back out and started to loose interest in eating anything.

So I continued with the feeding schedule without a hitch. If she didn't eat, she didn't eat, I would leave the food out for 30 minutes to an hour and then put it away. She wouldn't see it again until the next feeding time which at the time was 6 hours apart 3 times a day. Eventually she gave in and just started eating again. If you give your dog the idea that you are going to change the food all the time, they can become luxury lavish spoiled brats, and that is not good for their tummies, and you won't appreciate what comes out the back end.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:23 pm

A picky dog is usually picky because you give in to their demands. Pick a food, stick to it, don't add any goodies, and keep the extras like treats to a minimum. A healthy dog will not starve itself and will eat eventually. Right now all Rikku is learning is if she stops eating one thing, she will get something better.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm

I agree with what was stated above. I went through a ton of foods for Siku before we found one, but that was more for medical reasons than what he liked so don't worry about the switching of the foods that you have done. They will eat if that is their only option. The way that you can keep them from getting bored is pick a brand and switch between their different proteins if you would like that way its not the same all the time for her and it kind of keeps it exciting. I chose Orijen as one of the foods in the end, because its an awesome brand and it was the only thing that my huskies could eat without getting runny poops. You could try that, if you can get over the price tag.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:44 pm

that makes sense, and no i haven't been giving in really. we gave her chicken and rice to solid up the stool, and we swapped off the TOTW because i think the high protein content was cause very moist stool/ diarrhea, her stomach is good on the fromm, which is why i want to stay with it, i just wanted to make sure that she wouldn't hunger strike her self from being bored with it. ill stick to the feeding pattern and if she eats she does, if not o well meathod (which for the most part i have been any way)

im still curious as to what are some good foods to give her once a week or what ever that are beyond her dog food and treats. like what are some raw that i can give to her maybe once a week and is there any veggies that should be avoided, i hear alot of controversy over raw egg, but all the negative comments seem to come with no proof
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Bode goes crazy over baby carrots. They're one of his favorite treat. Also, my boyfriend just gave him a small piece of Mango for the first time the other day, and now every time he opens the container with the sliced mango, Bode starts yelling at him to give him some!

As for what's bad: Grapes are toxic, so stay away from those. Avacadoes are also bad and can cause upset tummy. Here's a link to a list of dangerous fruits, veggies, and nuts

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/141-toxic-foods-for-dogs-fruits-vegetables-and-nuts
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

I give Karli raw once a week, usually a chicken leg or a beef rib for her meal instead of her kibble. Its best to start with chicken. Karli also likes carrots so if I have leftover carrots I give her those as well.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:33 pm

thanks for the link!

as for the raw chicken leg, just like your standard store bought? and does the bones hurt them at all or is that only when cooked?
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:07 pm

My two love apple slices. If I'm eating an apple, I'd better share or there will be hell to pay later. :lol:lol:  I never thought about mango....not sure I want to create another monster though. Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
My two love apple slices.  If I'm eating an apple, I'd better share or there will be hell to pay later.  :lol:lol:  I never thought about mango....not sure I want to create another monster though.  Smile

He really did create a monster. Bode was never this way when we started giving him carrots. It's crazy how bonkers he goes!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
My two love apple slices.  If I'm eating an apple, I'd better share or there will be hell to pay later.  :lol:lol:  I never thought about mango....not sure I want to create another monster though.  Smile

Mishka will not leave me alone if I have an apple. He'll eat like half of it if I let him. I have to tell him that he's had enough and he just looks at me with those sad eyes. Lol.

I haven't given him any carrots yet though. I'll have to try that out.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A very picky puppy could use advice   A very picky puppy could use advice Empty

Back to top Go down

A very picky puppy could use advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1