It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? Empty
PostSubject: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Well basically what the title is, I just read something that suggested tree oil around the house to help repel spiders and at the end of the page it gave warning that tea tree oil is highly poisonious for dogs. I thought i had read something about using it for fleas on here so figured i shoukd just ask to be sure since im new to the oils scene. My sister just picked up some tea tree shampoo that I had wanted to try on the pups since i cant get the oils right now but this made me second guess using it at all even for myself. It is not a dog shampoo but from sally beauty we have used it before and the scent is very strong so we figure it would be an ok alternative for the oils for now.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Someone else also told me tea tree oil was poisonous when I suggested someone to use it against fleas, so I am also curious.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:22 am

Any essential oil above 1% in high quantities is toxic if ingested. I use Tea Tree Oil in my dogs shampoo to repel fleas/ticks without any issue at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 1:13 am

If you put 100% therapeutic grade Tea Tree Oil on thin skin (ear) on a sensitive dog, yes they can have a reaction. In order to avoid that issue, I just use Cedar or Lavender now, both 100% Therapeutic grade.

They are, however, 100% toxic to cats.

Using it around your house should be fine, but don't put it in spray bottles.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 am

Ok that makes sense the shampoo should be fine to use then, i'll avoid their ears just to be safe and wash there with something else. The cat usually avoid them because jasper wants to carry him around and bella smashes her paws into him and bites at him a bit to hard so i think im fine there. And spray bottles are a no go here with a devious toddler around, i have tried to stop using them or they are up high and clearly marked because the little guy always figures out how to get them. Thanks! I've got to find a good website on the use of oils for both dogs and humans, one thing says this another says that and it leaves you confused when you just want to learn a bit more beforepotentially causing a problem.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:24 am

This is an article I wrote for the Siberian Husky Club of Greater Detroit - it was in our June newsletter Smile

Beat the Fleas!

It’s that time of year again when fleas run rampant and we have to constantly check our dogs for these little parasites. As you probably know, there are many products available to treat your dog should they become infested; however, the safety of most of these products hasn’t been thoroughly tested by unbiased sources. I suggest choosing a more holistic route, but if you must use topical flea products such as Frontline, K9 Advantix and Revolution please use them as little as possible. For frontline and K9 Advantix this means you can use them as little as every three months, because they were proven to effectively kill fleas for that long.

Holistic Flea Repellents

Garlic – This is a controversial food for animals, as many believe it to be toxic; however, in small doses it is completely safe and the leading Holistic Veterinarians suggest feeding a small amount every other day to ward off fleas due to the bitter taste it gives the blood. DO NOT USE IN CATS – Garlic can not be processed correctly by their kidneys.

Dose: 1/16th Tbsp. per 50lbs, every other day.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (must have the “mother” in it) – Apple Cider Vinegar is a miracle liquid; this one liquid has the power to disinfect, treat and cure skin ailments, prevent bacterial and viral infections and can even ward of fleas and other pests. The best way to feed ACV is by adding it to your pet’s water bowl. Start by adding a small amount at first, because it can be very bitter.

Dose: 1 Tsp. per 50lbs, every other day.

Essential Oils

Essential oils are NOT for feeding. They must be 100% Therapeutic Grade (Simpler’s, Young Living) and can be purchased at many health food stores. For these to work you simply place a drop of the oil on the collar (not the skin as that could be irritating) twice a week during the summer months. You may also make a spray for you and the dogs by adding 1/2 Cup of ACV to a spray bottle with 1 Cup of Water. Then add a few drops of your favorite essential oils and spray on yourself or dogs before going outside (It works for mosquitoes, too!). DO NOT USE ON CATS – There bodies cannot handle oils. You may apply on dogs in a cat household, but do not apply on cats or on hard surfaces that cats would apply their feet to or lick.

Lavender, Cedarwood and Tea Tree Oils – All three oils can be use individually or together to repel fleas. I prefer lavender to the other two, as it smells nice to me. 1 Drop on the collar is plenty to ward off fleas.

Rose Geranium Oil – This miracle oil actually repels TICKS. I place 1 drop of this with 1 drop of Lavender for protection.

Already have an infestation?
When repellents aren’t enough there are safe solutions to rid your house of fleas.

Diatomaceous Earth- FOOD GRADE ONLY: This is a white powder consisting of microscopic skeletons. The skeletons slice the exoskeleton of the fleas and dehydrate them until they die; this goes for other insects as well. To kills fleas apply this in cracks, near doorways and in corners of the house. It can also be applied to bedding and the dog’s coat (Not the Head!!). I suggest wearing a mask because like any powder it can give off dust. Once the dust settles (it won’t take long) feel free to take your mask off. Some people don’t bother applying DE indoors and instead apply it outside the doors, in grass and on the dogs while outside. That is personal preference. This is also safe on cats. You must use Food Grade DE, NOT filter grade because it is poisonous.

Comfortis: Comfortis is the only prescribed flea medication I am comfortable using. Comfortis is a chewable pill with the ingredient Spinosad, which kills fleas for up to 30 days. This pill is a miracle worker and kills fleas within 30 minutes after feeding. To give correctly, Comfortis must be fed with a meal. If fed without a meal, the dog may vomit. I have never had a problem giving Comfortis and often dose my dog before a show.

Note: This document is based on my experience and the experience of close friends. We have had great success, but we are careful and attentive. I do not suggest anyone provide holistic medicine if they are not willing to do research and take necessary precautions. Just because it is from nature, doesn’t make it safe. If you have any questions please email me at mheath@my.madonna.edu
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
The best way to feed ACV is by adding it to your pet’s water bowl. Start by adding a small amount at first, because it can be very bitter.
Dose: 1 Tsp. per 50lbs, every other day.

Sorry.. I have another question. I literally just got my ACV in yesterday. I plan on feeding them coconut oil every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and giving them ACV every Tuesday and Thursday on their food. They don't drink much water so I was afraid that would be ineffective. But I was told it was 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds, so would it be incorrect to give 3 teaspoons to a 46 pound dog twice a week?
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:09 pm

very nice article! Is the ACV ok for cats? My cats drink right out of the dog's bowl so I have to know lol

what about this I found on Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Synergy-Essential-Blend-Undiluted-Therapeutic/dp/B006OR6CDC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1374513034&sr=8-4&keywords=100%25+therapeutic+grade+lavender
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Megan, I literally just throw 2 TSP in their full water bowl every day and have never had an issue.

Lynn, my cats drink out of the water bowl and are just fine. Oils are dangerous to them only because they cannot process them. You could use that mixture if you want, but I don't like citronella or eucalyptus and have found it most effective to work with the individual oils.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
Sorry.. I have another question. I literally just got my ACV in yesterday. I plan on feeding them coconut oil every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and giving them ACV every Tuesday and Thursday on their food. They don't drink much water so I was afraid that would be ineffective. But I was told it was 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds, so would it be incorrect to give 3 teaspoons to a 46 pound dog twice a week?

3 teaspoons is the equivalent of 1 tablespoon which is perfectly fine for that size dog.  Back when I used to measure my ACV, I gave each of my chi girls (one was 6 lbs, the other was 7 lbs) 1 tsp of ACV every other day and I gave my 50 lb sibe 1 tbsp (which equals 3 tsp).  I've been using ACV for years now and honestly I don't even measure it out anymore since I am so used to giving it.

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
Megan, I literally just throw 2 TSP in their full water bowl every day and have never had an issue.

Huskyluv wrote:
3 teaspoons is the equivalent of 1 tablespoon which is perfectly fine for that size dog.  Back when I used to measure my ACV, I gave each of my chi girls (one was 6 lbs, the other was 7 lbs) 1 tsp of ACV every other day and I gave my 50 lb sibe 1 tbsp (which equals 3 tsp).  I've been using ACV for years now and honestly I don't even measure it out anymore since I am so used to giving it.

Awesome, thanks both of you! Because of the fact that Yuki and Cloud hardly drink and Link drinks a ton, I thought it'd be more efficient to do it through food. I think I'll go ahead and do 1 teaspoon for Cloud, 2 teaspoons for Yuki, and a tablespoon for Link twice a week. Thanks again! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?   tea tree oil poisonious to dogs? Empty

Back to top Go down

tea tree oil poisonious to dogs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1