It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
UrbanHusky
Newborn
Newborn

Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General Empty
PostSubject: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 1:43 am

Hello everyone,

I have two Huskies [we will introduce ourselves formally in time, rather I will introduce us as their paws are too big for typing...though they can spell Smile]

Anyway, I have a problem with my girl slipping her collar, she has done it twice (as well as a harness once - a "no pull" harness...it was donated to the Humane society that day). My boy has also slipped his collar however it only happened once.

The plan was at first to get another martingale collar for her. This is what came with her from the SPCA, it worked well but I didn't like that it pulled tight (I did not, at the time..realize how they worked) so I abandoned it in favour of a very expensive think leather collar in a nice shade of blue. However this has stretch and given way - the buckle holes stretch into a big one - and, as a result, she can now slip her collar fairly easily...especially if she gets scared.

I also have had to move into a new house which does not have a secure backyard, so as a result my dogs have to be on a tie out when they go out to the bathroom etc. I tried with a leash but they like to roam around.

I was not sure on the martingale for a tie out (Note: I never leave them alone on it ever...its just so they have the freedom to, well..poop wherever they feel they need to.

So they plan then became Get a harness, which I did I purchased two webmaster harnesses from ruffwear - which work out well...though my boy needed a big harness which highlights his stealing food from my girl and getting chubby problem - but that is another story/problem. I had him first and never adjusted or checked how they ate after I got my girl, and apparently i didn't notice his weight gain, and as a result i feel foolish and now we are working on that problem.

However, back to the collar.

I purchased the harnesses for them thinking I would get them each a knot-a-collar, as I think they would look good on them - if you can see it on my woolly boy that is..and use them for holding their id/lic. etc only (not to be used to secure a leash). and use the harness for anytime they needed to be tethered, be it leash or tie-out. However I have found sometimes they just don't want to get into the harnesses quickly and so bathroom breaks turn into quite the chore.

So I went out and bought two top rope collars, also from ruffwear.
These seemed great, however I put them on and they immediately seemed to be bothered by them, it looked to me like the big metal clasp being up tight against their necks was causing them discomfort. It is neither too loose, nor too tight in my opinion, it passes the two finger rule. Now I am wondering if anyone else's dogs reacted poorly to these collars? Am I just being overly concerned about it pushing against their necks? Both have the buckled type now which is significantly smaller than the large metal clasp on the top rope - and the buckle leather is all they have known, so I guess it may be possible that it's just new to them and they would get used to it?

Another question..
I also, was thinking - after seeing a couple of mastiffs in the dog they had two collars on at the store today, both were wearing two collars - a knot-a-rope for id/tags etc (like I was thinking) and martingales (silverfoot was they brand they told me - and both were gorgeous - and the website has some beautiful designs) is having two collars on at once ok? I never did ask if they took them off when they were not walking them.

I guess the questions boiled down to it are:

1. The opinion of people on the buckle/clasp of the top rope collars - My dogs do not seem to like it and it is a lot of metal pushing on their throats...Am i over-reacting/will they get used to it? But neither of my dogs seemed to like it, but i only had them on for approx. 3 mins before i took them off as they didn't like them..at least that's how it seemed.

2. Are martingales an effective collar for them to be put on a tie-out (always watched) so they can do their business - and possibly the occasional quick walk when I don't use their harness.

3. What are peoples opinions regarding having two collars...one for Id/tags and the other for walks/tie outs..martingale/top rope etc...) Is it best if using two like this to remove the walking/tie-out collar when not in use or can they wear two at once?

4. Is there something (product etc.) that I am missing or should look at in regards to collars?

I may seem possibly a little bit over zealous in regards to collars, but my girl who was a rescue dog has a history of getting away and I don't want to lose her...so ultimately the harness is the best idea...but when they gotta go...they sometimes really gotta go...

Thanks everyone who reads this - for indulging me and my dogs.

Ron, Brenin and Akira Smile
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:06 am

I have had really good luck with a limited slip collar, specifically an Alaskan collar from Nordkyn.
http://www.nordkyn.com
Adjusted correctly, the dog can't slip out.
My dog has gotten out of when he comes back from the groomer, who puts it back on way too loose after bathing my dog. Now I check and tighten the collar before I leave.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:30 am

I love whitepine collars.

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_category.cfm?queries_index=index6&title_bar=Soft%20Web%20Collars&ProductCode=1

I literally leave them on my dogs at all times as tag collars. We use slip leads for walking in which I don't want them to pull.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:37 am

I too use the White Pine limited slip collars. Great for discouraging pulling and I've never had one slip their collar. I use mine all the time for walking them, though I do not keep them on in the dog yard as I find with the 12 they tend to get chewed off. I personally do not use anti-pull harnesses as I do work my dogs in harness and I want zero confusion between expectations. Collars mean no pull nice walk time, harness means pull business time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 3:08 am

I use Tope Rope Collars on my dogs 24/7 and they have never had issues with them, and they're also outside on tie outs with those one, so no slipping issues either.
Back to top Go down
UrbanHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
I use Tope Rope Collars on my dogs 24/7 and they have never had issues with them, and they're also outside on tie outs with those one, so no slipping issues either.
In the picture of your dogs it appears, at least to me, that the metal clasp is not in the front part of the dogs throat but possibly to the side? It's just that, and i tried again i can feel the collar pushing on my girls throat...and it bugs her, at least seems to, but again i guess it could just be because it is new to her...she didn't like the webmaster harness either...put it on and she proceeded to lie down and look at me and not move....my woolly doesn't seem to mind it but looks funny with the poofs of hair sticking out everywhere...
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 pm

UrbanHusky wrote:

Jennet&Embry wrote:

In the picture of your dogs it appears, at least to me, that the metal clasp is not in the front part of the dogs throat but possibly to the side? It's just that, and i tried again i can feel the collar pushing on my girls throat...and it bugs her, at least seems to, but again i guess it could just be because it is new to her...she didn't like the webmaster harness either...put it on and she proceeded to lie down and look at me and not move....my woolly doesn't seem to mind it but looks funny with the poofs of  hair sticking out everywhere...

When he has his tie out on, it doesn't sit on his throat, but when he's just laying around the house without a leash or anything attached it always lays on his throat, but honestly we don't stick to the 2 finger rule, mine wear their collars very loose otherwise they mat really bad on their necks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General   Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General Empty

Back to top Go down

Top Rope Collar (Specifically the clasp) - But collar questions in General

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1