It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help me with puppy collar suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:44 am

Hi all! I posted in the Welcome Mat thread last week but just to recap, I'm getting a pup from a breeder in Maine who breeds 1-2 litters/ year to add to her sled team. We've been chatting for a bit now and I feel the most comfortable with her, and she gives great answers to my questions, on board with Raw feeding etc. We're on the waiting list for a pup. First litter due in 8/15 and the last is due around 9/9! I'm so excited. I'm trying to contain my puppy purchases until the litters are born and I know what I'm getting sex, color wise. (I did break down n buy a Fluff n Tuff alligator yesterday though bounce )

Anyway, I already know I'm going to wind up buys multiple collar/leash/harness combos but we'll need something to pick him/her up with as we don't have a fenced in yard. I have read and re-read all the threads about this exact topic but I'd like to throw it out there again to have it in one place! So thanks in advance for the input.

Mind you we will be getting the pup around 8-9 weeks old:

As far as harness I've narrowed it down to the premier, WYDWL and the ezydog quickfit. Just unsure of sizes for pup. I know that I will need to upgrade eventually to a bigger size.

For a collar I like the Ezydog double up and checkmate. RW top rope, chain reaction. Just not sure on whether I should wait a little for a martingale collar on a baby or start out with one from the get go. I'm fairly certain I will use a harness at least until he/she is a bit older.

What's YOUR favorite leash??
Back to top Go down
kelly foster ford
Puppy
Puppy
kelly foster ford

Female Join date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I would suggest a Lupine they have a life time warranty even if your pup was to chew it if you mail it to them they will replace it free of charge.The website is Lupinepet.com
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks! I'll look it up now Smile
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Orion came with a limited slip collar from the breeders - she has lovely ones made for each puppy to go home with which I thought was such a nice touch. She said that she finds the limited slip collars safest for her dogs especially as squirmy puppies who may not be keen on wearing the collar or lead and try to back out of it, I just made sure to be extra diligent in adjusting it as he grew. He is now on his second limited slip and I'm pretty sure I will continue with them since they work so well Smile I found some gorgeous ones online from a company called Mini Green the other day which I love now I just need them to ship to New Zealand...
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 2:41 pm

kelly foster ford wrote:
I would suggest a Lupine they have a life time warranty even if your pup was to chew it if you mail it to them they will replace it free of charge.The website is Lupinepet.com

Found a local pet store that sells them! Bought a peacock pattern one Smile
Back to top Go down
kelly foster ford
Puppy
Puppy
kelly foster ford

Female Join date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:09 pm

GeorginaMay wrote:
Orion came with a limited slip collar from the breeders - she has lovely ones made for each puppy to go home with which I thought was such a nice touch. She said that she finds the limited slip collars safest for her dogs especially as squirmy puppies who may not be keen on wearing the collar or lead and try to back out of it, I just made sure to be extra diligent in adjusting it as he grew. He is now on his second limited slip and I'm pretty sure I will continue with them since they work so well :)I found some gorgeous ones online from a company called Mini Green the other day which I love now I just need them to ship to New Zealand...

That is so cute! Thanks i will check it out
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:23 pm

I would second the lupine, they replace for life with any damage. Ive actually upgraded to an inch collar from 3/4 and they only made me pay the difference. I anticipated my puppy being much bigger than she was when I got her so I would go with a small collar at first which can be adjusted. I went for the martingale (lupine calls it a combo collar) so she wouldn't be able to slip out which was my major concern as she used to try to back out of her collar.

On a side note what's the name of the breeder? Just curious cuz I know a couple different breeders up there Smile
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 pm

I got the I got a size small I think! I will look when I get home. I figured either way he/she will grow into it if it's too big! Her name is Rachel Arnold she owns Kennedy sled dogs in South Berwick. Have you heard of it?
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Yup! I've met her a couple times at sled dog events there's a big one in New Hampshire in October. I know the breeders the dams and sires are from too. Arrows breeder actually lives in Maine as well now, sibersong sled dogs. All the dogs come from good caring breeders.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:49 pm

Arrow is one of the two having litters! She's beautiful. Rachel is so patient with my thousands of questions. I feel really good about getting a pup from her. She's been great and neither litter had even been born yet lol
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:04 pm

i wish the lupine had more designs, they look nice but seems limited in selection
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm happy you got the lupine! I would also suggest getting a lupine harness if you are going to get a harness while it is a puppy at least until they are done growing. I just found it so useful to be able to give them back when he chewed them up, which I think Nikolai did like 5 times? But now that he is older and knows not to chew, I got a real harness from Alpine Outfitter, but I think the harnesses that you listed above are great companies too but I just would wait. Plus as stated above, with Lupine, I was able to upgrade the harnesses with his growth and only had to pay the difference. My favorite leash is ruffwear knot a leash, its amazing and I love the locking carabiner at the end to make sure he is fully attached, and I know they make a small and a large leash. I actually stuck with the lupine collars since my dogs were puppies, because we just have never had to replace them so its worked out really well and they are super tough!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:36 pm

To be honest when I saw the lupine online I wasn't all that excited but when I saw them in the store I liked them way better. What size harness do you think I should get for a baby?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Yeah, I mean they aren't the greatest harnesses but with a puppy you never know if they will chew it or not and I figured I mind as well save myself the money since they have an awesome return policy. I got the roman harness when Siku was a puppy and I will try to find the inches that it was when I get home. They adjust really well, so the larger ones you can actually make tiny. I was able to use his harness for months.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Nice! Always good to save some money. They only had the step in harness where I was but i will keep my eyes open when I go into Portland later n see what the other stores carry.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I think you should get a medium. He will grow VERY fast. I had Juneau wear an EZYDOG Chest Plate Harness when she was about 3-4 months and a medium fit her just fine. It's adjustable.

http://www.wag.com/dog/p/ezydog-chest-plate-harness-199167

It kept her secure in my car with a seatbelt attachment. Beware, he may chew through your seatbelt! Juneau did. -.-

My favorite collar is the knot-a-collar. http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Collar-Adjustable-Rope-Collar

I paired it with a knot-a-leash. http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Leash-Rope-Dog-Leash?sc=2&category=15 I got the thicker one. It has a locking carabiner on it.

​http://www.flyingdogcollars.com/

​http://www.shopmimigreen.com/designer-dog-collars/classic-mimi-green-dog-collars?limitstart=0&limit=50

Cute collars.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 pm

I like the chest plate harness a lot. Oh man, my pup is going to be just as spoiled as my kids!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Ashley&Kaia wrote:
On a side note what's the name of the breeder? Just curious cuz I know a couple different breeders up there Smile
Just curious as to the other breeders in maine you know of? I had a hard time locating any
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I have always use a harness as soon as she was big enough for one that she can grow into. I get the mesh petco ones... It helps with all the pulling! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me with puppy collar suggestions   collar - Help me with puppy collar suggestions Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me with puppy collar suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1