It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Not sure about breed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

Not sure about breed Empty
PostSubject: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Hello everyone. I wanted to get some insight as to what my dog may be. When I got him from a breeder both parents were full Husky. But my question is my boy weights 85lbs but is in great shape and exercises a lot, eats 2 cups a day ( if I put more food in he walks away from it) has very high energy but also he does not climb or anything g like I've seen with others. He is pictured in my avatar and maybe someone could give me some direction.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Possibility of him having a bit of mal in him? that would be my best guess kinda hard to tell from your picture it is rather small and only shows us his upper front body.
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 pm

And the pic was before brushing...lol
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 10:48 pm

How do I post a better picture? I'm new to the site
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Rartuso wrote:
How do I post a better picture? I'm new to the site
Well first you need to upload your photo to a image shareing site, such as tiny pic/photobucket there's tons of different ones out there, most on here use tiny pic i think. They are all free to join, just sign up for their site and upload images to your account, once you've done so right click on your uploaded image and click on "copy image location" from the drop down menu.

Then come here make a new post, and in that post you should see an image icon with an little green circle on the bottom right corner of it (it's located on the top bar of your posting box where all of your text options are, such as bold, italics etc) once you've done that a window will pop up want you to type in the address of your image, simply right click on it and paste or hit "ctrl+v" (without the plus sign).
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 pm

[url=Not sure about breed Image]Not sure about breed Image[/url]
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Not sure about breed <a href=Not sure about breed Image-1" />

That's him beside another Male
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 am

Those are really blurry pictures, but to me he looks like he could loose a few pounds. In the bottom picture he kinda looks like a sausage and doesn't have any definition to his tummy area. Once again, could just be the picture, but that's just what I think.

Something looks a little off about his body. He could just be a poorly bred Sibe.

Where did you get him??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 1:22 am

I would guess poor breed husky, not to say anything is wrong with him just that the stock he came from did not fit husky standard. Could always do a dnd test. Oh and welcome to the site.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:04 am

I agree with both opinions above. He looks like a badly bred husky, but I also agree he could stand to lose some weight. I think what looks 'off' about his body is the extra weight combined with a weak hind end and short legs in proportion to his chest (elbow to withers). Also, there something off about the angle of the shoulder. Last thing I notice (which could be the angle of the pix or the extra weight) is that he has a very short neck. I am a newbie though on describing and looking at conformation, so I could be wrong on a few points. Here's another thread that describes the standard really well. Smile Also welcome!

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t7278p320-conformation-a-realistic-look-at-sibes-and-their-faults#165853
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 am

I'm gonna post a better picture because these pics make him look weird and that's not how he looks in person at all...lol
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 am

Lol, its hard to get decent pix. All my pix of my puppy when he was really little are of him sleeping, because that's the only time he was still enough for a picture. Smile Look at that thread I sent you, and try to get pix from those angles. It will really help in assessing his breed. One from the side with his head facing forward, and a close up of his head in profile. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 am

[img]Not sure about breed Utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzAuanBn[/img]
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:19 am

The recent picture was with him fully groomed
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:58 am

Some huskies are going to be bigger than the standard, likewise others will be smaller than the standard. Looks like you ended up with one on the larger end of the spectrum, that shouldn't be a reason to question his breed if you are we'll aware of his parents. Were either of his parents larger than the standard?

I agree he does look like he's carrying a few too many pounds and could afford to slim down some.

Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:18 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Some huskies are going to be bigger than the standard, likewise others will be smaller than the standard. Looks like you ended up with one on the larger end of the spectrum, that shouldn't be a reason to question his breed if you are we'll aware of his parents. Were either of his parents larger than the standard?

I agree he does look like he's carrying a few too many pounds and could afford to slim down some.

The father was a little larger than normal. I met both of the parents when I picked him up as a puppy.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Did you get him from a kennel or a breeder with a website? Maybe if we saw pics of the parent, we could help out a little more. I know it's hard to get pictures of them, but maybe if you could get one "stacked" (like in the conformation thread Jen posted), it might help as well.

Also, how tall is he from the ground to his shoulders?
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 1:16 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Did you get him from a kennel or a breeder with a website? Maybe if we saw pics of the parent, we could help out a little more. I know it's hard to get pictures of them, but maybe if you could get one "stacked" (like in the conformation thread Jen posted), it might help as well.

Also, how tall is he from the ground to his shoulders?

I got him from a breeder. I will measure him and get back. I did have pics but they were saved in an email that got hacked. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 2:00 pm

From the top of his back he's about 26 inches. From his shoulder to floor is about 23.
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 2:07 pm

[img]Not sure about breed Image-2[/img]
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Headwise he looks purebred but I do agree that he looks a little chunky. And I do say looks because really nobody can tell from these pictures, and you're feeding the right amount of food.
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Just back from the groomers. Apparently I do not know how to groom my dog. I feel terrible!

Last edited by Rartuso on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Why do you say that? What happened? I like his coloring on his face. He's pretty. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rartuso
Newborn
Newborn
Rartuso

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Not sure about breed <a href=Not sure about breed Image-3" />

This is really the best pic I can get.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Wow! He looks great! And definitely full husky to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about breed   Not sure about breed Empty

Back to top Go down

Not sure about breed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next